• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Absolutely awful at this.

Bunkerman

Apr 2, 2013
Everyone lauded this as an unsung hero of MP Fps' so I figured I'd pick it up. Well... after an hour and a half of play I can safely say I'm in over my head. The Rising Sun part seems a bit more forgiving because of the foliage cover but the Eastern Front stuff is basically wak a mole and I'm the mole.

Surely it must get easier? Concerned I'll get bored of the lack of action.

I am also terrible. But you'll have you're days. If you're just totally swamped I suggest watching some instructional videos on youtube to make yoyrself less of an easy target.
Basicly just try to learn some important lessons. Nobody's good all the time though; I have my moments as most do. If you find you never have success than, again, refer to instructional videos; you just might be doing something horribly wrong

Upvote 0
Probably be best to join some kind of light hearted clan or some such.

Basically there seems to be a race to get to the best spots to shoot from. You don't want to shoot from the same place as someone else because you'll be compromising them and yourself.

There is a flow to the battle which I can't see at the moment. Need to try and battle through the hard times to get to the good times.

Upvote 0
After a couple of years and still, some rounds I'm top of the leader board, some rounds, at the bottom. :p

Great ideas have already been suggested.

It takes a while to learn what the bad guys look like, so it will be a bit before you can pick out those who are hiding in good spots and nailing you.

Learn to look for muzzle flashes and to listen. Dash from cover to cover and then take a sec to asses the situation.

In the open, you will likely die. When you have to cover open ground, sprint and zigzag. Let another teammate go first and see if they come under fire, lol. Crossing open ground with a bunch of other teammates improves your chances. The School of Fish technique.

Don't be repeatable. Don't stick your head out in the same spot. Always move around after a shot or two.

Don't run through smoke

How easy it is to stay alive is also very dependant on the quality of your team. If it's good and steam rolling the enemy, your arty will be making the other team miserable and your teammates will be holding the important positions and pinning the other guys down. You'll feel invincible, you can take risks and stay alive.

If you're on the other side though, no matter how good you are, you'll feel like you can't take a step without dying from an invisible enemy.

Being in the cap will help your team and get you points..... Unless you are a marksman or MG, sitting back and sniping helps no one.

Upvote 0
First rage quit last night.

I haven't joined a single Squad yet that acted cohesively. Did manage to get 5 kills in a row but that was only because I was given the chance for some close quarter combat where in 'mouse skill' determined the winner rather than knowing where to be and look.

I've only tried rifleman thus far... one of those games where by if you are new you should not be using anything else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And remember, as a beginner, you don't have to kill or shoot at everything you see. If you sit in one place too long and fire off a round or two, you can be certain that an enemy has heard you and is waiting for you to appear again.

Keep your head down, run from cover to cover, stop, listen, get a feel for the battle, approach the cap with caution. If you're defending, you can sit just outside the cap and shoot at targets of opportunity (just don't forget to lay low after squeezing off a round or two, so as your position is forgotten). If the cap starts to fall, then you can rush into to add the numbers.

Rifles for the win.....the rest are just for those that need a crutch.....:p (just kidding)

Upvote 0
RO2 is the same as any other game, but the learning curve is relatively steep. You just need to keep playing, then one day you'll realise things are starting to click.

I'm a casual player and I have good games, and terrible games.

I will say that the HoS maps are much tougher, having spent a bit of time in Rising Storm recently. It's a shock to go from dense brush to the barren fire lanes of Druzhina. I think I have more fun in RS, and people are less obsessive about playing one side (still an issue on HoS...).

Upvote 0
You just gotta think and use your head, this isnt CoD or BF where you can run and gun UNLESS you are very good and know what your doing.

Funny I like stalingrad better then Rising Storm, I cant stand jungles with japs in the bushes :D Close quarter fighting in stalingrad with PPSH all the wya for me.

Upvote 0
Try staying back of the front line on the RO2 maps. Do some longer distance shooting. Be patient and pick your target. It is hard to kill a runner with a single shot rifle due to the unknown lag. It can be done, and I do it, but it always iffy. So, still targets are best.

If you try to play this game like other FPS game, COD for instance, you will die quickly and often. It is meant to be played in a more realistic fashion, which also mean slower and more carefully. Learn to use the tactical tool and the maps. Don't run up the middle like all the lemmings do, use the flanks to attack. That is one reason I like this game. The maps are large enough to permit maneuvering. They are open world and do not channel you into a face to face assault like many games do. Slowing down a bit, doing a bit of planning before you assault or defend, will make a big difference in your results. Plus, as was said, it takes time to adjust.

Upvote 0