• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Abomination was buffed the wrong way and is OP

Dolphi123

May 16, 2015
Canadia
This may be a non-popular opinion, but the abomination seems too op now. I love how he got a damage buff, but he is still the same old bullet sponge. I find myself just kiting him around the map like usual except now he spawns countless "abomination spawns" (for simplicity I will refer them as "the spaghetti bois") right in front of me and am unable to react. Another over buffed ability of his is he is insanely fast now. I am unable to outrun him except as a zerk or medic. Now, I know what you are gonna say "well you cant outrun any of the other bosses" this is true, but Hans (not including his final phase) will smack you and leave you alone, Patriarch will only smack you once and knock you back, King Flesh Pound will do the same. The abomination will 1. spawn the spaghetti bois 2. **** on the ground 3. suck you in 4. puke and pull you through the puke, spaghetti, and ****. There is no outrunning this/dodging this. Of course this isn't enough to 1 shot you but as you retreat 5 spaghetti bois will spawn in front of you and will finish you off. The Abomination did receive a well deserved buff, but just increasing his speed and decreasing his cool downs, I fell was not the answer. If I was going to adjust him I would:

Keep abomination spawn rate the same but only allow them to spawn at the bosses location. The spaghetti bois are well balanced and dont need to spawn around the immediate corner constantly.

Reduce the Abominations suck range. Its cool to have a boss that you cant escape no matter how hard you try, but its no fun if all you do is run away and get sucked. A parry option to the suck would also suffice.

I'm interested in what others opinions on this matter is. The buff was needed, but just increasing his speed is not the answer.

The real issue with the Abomination IS the arena you face him in.

When he was limited to Krampus Lair and Santa's Workshop you were locked into a tight area which made him a somewhat challenging fight.
Once he appeared on maps where kiting is an option - Nuked, Outpost etc - he became super easy so Tripwire decided to turn him into The Flash.

What I suggest is having it so if the boss is the Abomination then you are confined to an area, for example the Beach on Zed Landing. This would make the fights akin to the initial encounters and allow Tripwire to rethink some of the questionable tweaks. I also think the spawns could do with adjusting as they seem too frequent and they eat bullets in ways I find sketchy [Multiple Magnum hits for example].

Be interested to hear what others think and whether this will lead to any changes or not.

Upvote 0
Yeah, Abomination in Beta 2 is absolutely ridiculous now (unless there is some strategy I'm missing after spending a couple hours testing him out).

You can stumble him by killing abomination spawns near him, but it's now very inconsistent/is on a cooldown or something. (didn't seem to be in Beta 1). Even when it's off cooldown, often you don't get a chance to kill an abomination spawn near him, since they have little means of getting around his gigantic body.

In Beta 1 he seemed decent, albeit with many of the same initial flaws since release. In Beta 2, he's just ridiculous. One of the major problems with Beta 1 Abomination is that groups could easily keep causing him to stumble over and over again. With Beta 2, he's EXTREMELY difficult solo or being targeted while playing any perk without a movement speed bonus. The fight feels totally RNG based (You have to hope you're lucky enough to get abomination spawns in front of him/have an opportunity to fire at them and kill them for a POSSIBLE stumble).
There's almost no opportunity for you to do any damage to him without him catching up to you. I mean if they placed a cooldown on the stumble, I would think they'd reduce his movement speed or allow players some way to break out of Gorge to compensate... (If there is a cooldown, does anyone know what that cooldown is?). As such, the fight is heavily dependent on having a Medic it seems (because how else are you gonna heal up from the 60+ damage you're ensured to take when being hit with Gorge).
I don't think I've had a single death on him since Beta 2 that didn't feel like total BS (meaning I could've done something to avoid it). I never have felt that way with Patty/Hans/KFP (though I never die on KFP, also a boss that needs a buff).

Something they could do off the top of my head, would be to allow players to break out of Gorge by firing at his mouth and allowing abomination spawns to pass through under him. That way you have a means of avoiding damage when getting hit with Gorge but are still likely to take damage from abomination spawns. So when you know you're about to get hit with Gorge, you can prepare for it by throwing a grenade to kill/stumble abomination spawns and reload if needed to ensure you have enough ammo to break out of it.

Honestly though, I feel they should do an overhaul of how abomination spawns function, because they just make the fight totally clunky. I think it would make more sense if they made them similar to the blob missiles in the final boss in Killing Floor Incursion. Blob missiles that you can shoot down before they hit you/blow up near Abomination to cause him to stumble. Because as it is now, abomination spawns just pile up behind him and seldom have any opportunity to get in front of him. And having to be reliant on them somehow getting in front of him in order to avoid an attack that easily will take down 70 health that you can't dodge or break out of? That's pretty ridiculous.

What makes a boss fight great is being able to avoid all damage in some way, but it being extremely difficult to do so. With Abomination, you're practically ensured to take a 50+ damage hit (Gorge + abomination spawns).

Upvote 0
I'd love to see a video of anyone fighting Abomination on HoE solo without getting hit with Gorge as any perk without movement speed bonuses (without a boomstick/doomstick, obviously). During Beta 1, it seemed totally avoidable. Now, it's inevitable. You're going to get hit with an attack that does 50+ damage (usually 65+, because you're practically guaranteed to get hit with abomination spawn explosions as well). That's BS.

I mean the fundamental problem with Abomination now is the fight relies so heavily on RNG.
It's practically RNG whether or not an abomination spawn will get in front of Abomination for you to kill it to trigger a stumble.
It's RNG (it seems now) whether or not the stumble will actually trigger. <--- This is the biggest problem that causes it to feel totally reliant on RNG.
Because of the two above, if you get bad RNG, you're going to take a hit that will take out most of your health, often followed up by teleported abomination spawns/clot variants or hell, another Gorge attack soon after.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Op in which game mode: Regular/Objectif game, Endless game wave 25?
You all probly knows but here goes anyway.
Abomination With armor have alot of resistance to crowd control, flame, poison.
He inhale shoot face.
Shoot feet otherwise.
Shoot head to.
Don't use firebug against him. The fire weaponry only affect him when he has no armor.
Don't use low firepowered weaponry on boss. Unless you have nothing else.
Don't solo with slow perk on hoe. You'll get toss to often and die. Or get stuck between the boss mob and the boss himself. Like every other boss...
Abomination is like KFP a joke a boss. They only reverted back to how they once were. With 1 change now abomination stumble away when you shoot him on the face when your dragged by the vaccum at high % otherwise its a bug. And high end caliber, dammage wise weapon (manage to do it with an upgraded med pistol).

Solo spawning is bugged beyond any repair point. Unless they'd make an exeption that would give the player an aura of no spawn instead of view. And that is probly not time worth, since is a coop game? But that has nothing to do with the boss that always spawn mob or does it...

All CC(crowd control) have cooldown time. The shortest beeing the stumble. Its more a stack if I remember clearly what they said ont he subject. Goes up and down has it happen.

He was way stronger before. Atleast the poison was killing people now well ..
Meat wall , stay behind meat wall. Shoot end.
Run away, some1 clean the green goo on the road foward. Other shoot boss mob
Easiest boss in the game. The tactic when dealing with him are still rinse repeat kind...

Abomination feels more of treat when first remeating him and not suspecting that he has changed. Otherwise less hp! Less of chore! YAY!!!!

Upvote 0