• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A story mode that has a progression map campaign

Barot8

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
I think in the future (KF3) a play mode that sort of has a map showing the zed spread. It would be nice of you could have whatever map that was last had more infected. Command and Conquer by Westwood had a sort of world map mode where you fought different generals. Kind of like that with the harder bosses and more zed at the end of the campaign. Maybe have the mode start the game at lowest difficulty and then ramp up to HOE on the last couple of maps. It could be easy to impliment with people seeing what map was being played at what difficulty on server lists.

If Doom Eternal proved me anything, is that adding unnecessary story elements can really make or break your game... Even more so when people clearly play it for the action-packed gameplay and extra gore.

Both in KF1 and KF2, I really find the story modes quite piss-poor... Not only are the lore aspects not really interesting (do we really need to know more than "Military experiment gone wrong wreak havoc on the world" ?), but the gameplay is boring as hell. The objectives are not compelling in the slightest AND they are always the same no matter the map.

That's honestly a hard pass for me. Or they'd have to make a very different game altogether.

Upvote 0
^what a nonsense post

So I think this is a solid idea, and if it was really going to be done I think it should be executed like RS2's campaign mode; where each map is played consecutively as part of a inter-level meta game. That is to say, let's say the game starts on Burning Paris; you complete the level like normal and the after game screen would display a overworld map (perhaps a holographic globe art style or something like it's on a horzine display) with let's say 2 choices that players can decide on like a map vote. These simple branching choices could be thought of like progression in House of the Dead, arbitrary and fun fork in the road decisions. Perhaps some levels would have mutators or difficulty modifiers later in the game. You'd only fight bosses on their respective levels (like you'd encounter Hans on Volter Manor), and there'd need to be a final boss on a new map. Perhaps choosing to do a longer route results in better endgame rewards. Additionally this inter-level screen could also display story lore I guess. Other ideas for features include inter-level bonuses or currency, maybe you could get an upgrade to keep your weapons from level to level or start with something specific?

Campaign update coming 2029

Additionally in KF1 there was a campaign mission during the Steampunk event in which you'd progress through objectives to complete the level - these could be added at any point and don't require an entire update or anything. Idk why they haven't returned, the objective mode is so half-assed in comparison.

Reactions: Barot8
Upvote 0
Disliking my opinion doesn't make it any less valid. Just because YOU do find some potential in a story mode doesn't mean that I can't find any.

This being said, I wouldn't lie that you managed to give me second thoughts, even more so while making that "House of the Dead" analogy. While the story itself is hardly remarkable, that game managed to combine both lore elements and arcade gameplay. I guess that would be the best way to introduce some sort of continuity in-between maps (and possibly : bosses, since we got multiple ones now).

Now truth be told, I believe having some extra banter among the characters would be neat. But that's out of the question both due to the cost of bringing back all VAs and the fact you can mix up teams as you wish. So that's just an extra that we'll have to do without.

Bottom line being, why not try to link up a bit more elements together? Most maps already have a similar aesthetic or trope. I guess it could be implied that our team of mercenaries are traveling instead of "teleporting" at one place to do the dirty work.

Upvote 0