• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A long time RO fan has 1 suggestion

Brinkman

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2006
Spend some time on developing and refining the menu systems. One huge gripe from my friends when I'd try to get them into RO was that it always felt cheap due to lack of polish. Sure the gameplay is where it's at, but it's hard to get a new player into a game unless it's easily accessible to them.

So my only request is make the menu system intuiative and simple to navigate. Everything I've seen so far has been amazing, but once you make the game easily accessible with a nice polished menu system, players will come :)

One huge gripe from my friends when I'd try to get them into RO was that it always felt cheap due to lack of polish

i hope that there will be a mod that adds the "Polish" :p

nah seriously, yes you are right, even in KF you can see that those games have a mod as an origin

lack of polish allways was what kept RO:Ost and KF from beeing A+ games

Upvote 0
what exactly is the problem with the menus? the words and descriptions are written in plain legible text, and with defined buttons and tabs, i really couldn't ask for more polish than that.

do you guys want the buttons to sparkle and make a chirping sound when you click it? what do you guys mean by more polish? be more specific.

Upvote 0
well it just lacks polish imo
its no problem for me, but i think thats one of the reasons why reviews said its just a polished mod

The reviews don't mean a damn thing.

In fact, the word polish is 100% subjective. What does it refer to? What is "unpolished" about Ost Front's menu system? How could they improve? Are you referring to the UI not being as usable as it could have been or things not being categorized in the menu system properly?

Frankly, I just think the whole damn world doesn't realize we've been playing the best first person shooter on the market for the past several years because of these ridiculous, misleading reviews.

Then again, I think Left 4 Dead is a polished mod and see the praise that game has got whereas Killing Floor has it on every count in terms of being a more fulfilling experience, with meaty gameplay mechanics and a one-up on every aspect of L4D.

It doesn't help that Killing Floor seemed to have every idea L4D has and implemented it in the mod stages years before the release of L4D.

I mean, remember the E3 announcement of L4D2 and Valve's like....."we have chainsaws and fire axes!" Then I look at Killing Floor and just facepalm. The media's full of crap, 100% of the time. Game journalism is some of the worst stuff in the business.

Upvote 0
what exactly is the problem with the menus? the words and descriptions are written in plain legible text, and with defined buttons and tabs, i really couldn't ask for more polish than that.

do you guys want the buttons to sparkle and make a chirping sound when you click it? what do you guys mean by more polish? be more specific.

It's the same kind of thing that makes people like Windows despite the fact that it's a less utilitarian operating system with each iteration.

It's got flashes and pings and smooth swirls. It's got zing, baby.

I have no idea. Maybe they want a big stupid button that says "GO!" or a 4 button automated menu system.

Upvote 0
thats exactly it

as allready said, i love RO and dont think its not polished, but just look why some ppl say vista is better than XP
it just looks nicer

just a small comparison:

CoD:WaW
+ shiny menu
+ everything looks polished
+everything looks refined
- its crap
- its crap
- its even worse than crap

RO:Ost
+ its great
+ its better than that
+ its Shambeh Bambeh!
- the menu is useable and simple but hasnt got any shiny stuff or shaders added to them
- there are no vids or scripted events that look badass

the problem is that most of the gaming community define a good game like WaW and not how it plays

its like choosing a verry good looking car that breaks down every 5 seconds and is slow as hell over a car that works, is fast and looks decent

sadly in the gaming community most ppl will choose car no 1

Upvote 0
in both RO and KF the visual looks of the hud and menus were some of the main reasons i think atleast why people called it a glorified mod.

Its one of the things that don't matter for me personally, but i think that really devert people that only play the game for say 5 hours for a review.

Having a polished menu and HUD do not really matter to me either, but it does seem to bother at least a few people, and as we know, for every person on the forum it bothers, that equals like 1 Billion people :D (jk)

Upvote 0
VariousNames is clearly passionate about this game and took offense to this thread. With that said, it's safe to say one is in deyal if they think there's nothing wrong with the current menu system of RO. It's dated, and unfortunately the vast majority of gamers out there don't play dated games. Now VariousNames, do you want the RO community to die prematurely? I can safely assume that's a 'no'. Well if Tripwire wants to get more people into this game, they'll need a smoother menu system. Better orientation for n00bs.. Funny you bring up Left 4 Dead, now that's a game with enough polish that your grandmother could sit down with the game for the first time and know exactly what to do.

Now RO, like it or not, feels like an indepth, fun, simulator.. that no one wants to play. People do judge a game based on it's cover (polish in this sense) and right now you hear what you've always been hearing "why should i pay for a mod?". Get RO out of it's mod like stereotype and give it the love that a full fledged retail game gets.

You might be happy with your close-knit RO community now, but it can't last forever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Having a polished menu and HUD do not really matter to me either, but it does seem to bother at least a few people, and as we know, for every person on the forum it bothers, that equals like 1 Billion people :D (jk)
People on this forum don't have a problem with RO. That's not what this thread is about. We're not trying to impress the people who are already going to buy the game. We're trying to get new players into the game.

Upvote 0
VariousNames is clearly passionate about this game and took offense to this thread. With that said, it's safe to say one is in deyal if they think there's nothing wrong with the current menu system of RO. It's dated, and unfortunately the vast majority of gamers out there don't play dated games. Now VariousNames, do you want the RO community to die prematurely? I can safely assume that's a 'no'. Well if Tripwire wants to get more people into this game, they'll need a smoother menu system. Better orientation for n00bs.. Funny you bring up Left 4 Dead, now that's a game with enough polish that your grandmother could sit down with the game for the first time and know exactly what to do.

Now RO, like it or not, feels like an indepth, fun, simulator.. that no one wants to play. People do judge a game based on it's cover (polish in this sense) and right now you hear what you've always been hearing "why should i pay for a mod?". Get RO out of it's mod like stereotype and give it the love that a full fledged retail game gets.

You might be happy with your close-knit RO community now, but it can't last forever.

I'm not trying to argue that the menu system in RO shouldn't be improved or that it should stay popular amongst a small community. I would LOVE to see this game get the respect and the player base that it deserves.

However, that was not my point or my argument. What I wrote was a series of questions, HOW exactly is the menu system in RO unpolished or how is it not user friendly? If you're planning on improving something and making a suggestion, I'd like to see the suggestion for improvement instead of just throwing baseless claims like "oh, well it's unpolished," because I don't even know what you MEAN when you say it's unpolished (as I said, polish is a subjective word), FORGET why you think it's unpolished, you haven't even gotten to that stage of the critique yet.

Just tell me (and by extension Tripwire) what you think is wrong with the menu system and I'm sure everyone will applaud and agree.

Upvote 0
thats exactly it

as allready said, i love RO and dont think its not polished, but just look why some ppl say vista is better than XP
it just looks nicer

just a small comparison:

CoD:WaW
+ shiny menu
+ everything looks polished
+everything looks refined
- its crap
- its crap
- its even worse than crap

RO:Ost
+ its great
+ its better than that
+ its Shambeh Bambeh!
- the menu is useable and simple but hasnt got any shiny stuff or shaders added to them
- there are no vids or scripted events that look badass

the problem is that most of the gaming community define a good game like WaW and not how it plays

its like choosing a verry good looking car that breaks down every 5 seconds and is slow as hell over a car that works, is fast and looks decent

sadly in the gaming community most ppl will choose car no 1

Yo, this is off-topic, but check out this ridiculous video of COD:WAW

YouTube - Call of Duty: World at War Walkthrough Episode 11: Their Land, Their Blood Part 2

I laughed for about a minute straight. The player LITERALLY has a dual loadout of a MG42 and a Panzerschreck and switches between the two on the fly. He RUNS into a building and hipshoots a bunch of American soldiers with his MG42. BAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

Upvote 0
Just tell me (and by extension Tripwire) what you think is wrong with the menu system and I'm sure everyone will applaud and agree.

it looks dated and still resembles a mod. Clunky buttons and no real way for a new player to get into the game without feeling lost. Again, I said Left 4 Dead does a great job taking a new player and getting them up to speed on what's going on in-game and out of game.

And to finally repeat myself: I'm asking TW to update the menus so people won't have an excuse to say "this game still looks like a mod, I'm going back to CoD."

Upvote 0
The menu and the hud serves its function and does it well enough atleast for me.

But i want RO to get the best possible reviews and people that try the game for the first day should get an optimal initial impression, and no matter what game the menus and hud are the first things one comes in contact with.

You are right that it doesnt change the game or how its played, but it can bring better reviews and with that more players (especially with say free weekends). I want the community to be big, and ro to be right there among cod4 cs l4d in player numbers, and twi making money like blizzard enabling them to give us many games in the future.

Although i doubt the twi doesnt know perfectly well themselves what reasons were for people leaving, it never hurts reposting things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0