• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A Collection of Reviews

BicycleRepairMan

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Drammen, Norway
I will be posting reviews of Red Orchestra:Ostfront 41-45 here as I see them, let me know if I miss any..

Danish
Gamesector 8/10 (Conclusion, translated)

English
2024.org 8/10
Acegamez 8/10
Anger Management (copy/paste version of the IGN Review)
Armchair General (Player guide)
Armchair General 80% (Review of RO:Collectors Edition) New!
Atomic 9.5 Print
BeserkWraithlor (relic forums) 86
Bug 92 (Paper Magazine
Canard PC 8
Chimpware
Computer Games 4.5
FiringSquad 75%
Game Over 85%
GamePlasma.com 8.6/10
Gamepyre 83%
GamePlay Monthly 8.8
GameRoobie 9/10
GamersTemple 75%
GameSpot 7.9/10
Gamespy 4/5
GamesRadar 8 - Great
GotFrag EXE B+
Half-life Fallout A-
HappyPuppy 8.5
Home Theater Video 5, Sound 4, Gameplay 4
HonestGamers 6/10
IGN.com 8.5/10 Editors Choice Award.
Jake's Review 9/10
Jolt.co.uk 8/10
LoadedInc 8.8/10
Mod Database
PC Action 82% Print
PC Authority "hands down the best online shooter game that's come out in a long time"
PC Format blog 72%
PC Gamer UK 83% (paper magazine)Online transcript (Thanks hypnotic_killer)
PC Gamer US 74% (paper magazine)(Short summary, thanks =GG= Mr Moe)
PC Zone UK 78% (paper magazine)
SignOnSanDiego.com
Sturmgrenadier
Tactical Gamer
Tactical Realism
TimesOnline 5 stars
Toronto Star
UnrealFans 8
Wargamer
Worthplaying 8.6/10

Video Reviews

Tra5hTa1k video "review"
G4TV/X-play (video review) 2/5

Finnish
Aamulehti 4/5 (Paper Magazine)
PCPelaaja 90/100 (Paper Magazine)
Pelit.fi 92% (Paper Magazine)

French
INpactVirtuel 3/5, users:4.2/5
JeuxVideo.com 16/20
GameKult 7/10, users: 8/10

German

4players.de 80%
DemoNews.de 84%
extreme-players.de 7.7
PC Games 83% (Paper Magazine)
PC Powerplay 81% (Paper Magazine)
Spieletester.com 85% (english translation, Thanks Luc )

Norwegian

Battlefield.no 9/10
Dagbladet.no 4/6 (Norwegian mainstream newspaper, online and paper Review)
Gamer.no 8/10 (translated/summary by http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/member.php?u=2482"][5th)

Russian
AG.RU, 88% (bad) translation to english..

Romanian
PC Games Romania 87%(the good/bad, thanks xand3r[ro])

Slovenian
Joker 85% (summary , thanks Krokar)

Switzerland
Gbase.ch 8.0/10

Swedish
FZ.se 4/5 And Silver Medal
Gamingeye 7/10
PC Gamer 83% (Paper Magazine)
Retry.se 8/10
SwedenTactics 8.5/10 (Site down??)

Last edited:
Reactions: TWB*JWHardin
I really like this part from the IGN review:
"You may not like Red Orchestra at all. You may find the vagaries of weapon accuracy to be aggravating. You may think the graphics aren't all that hot. You also might find the vehicles to perform more sluggishly than you'd like. But if you find BF2 to be too gamey or Call of Duty to be too melodramatic; if you just want to get in and fight in what feels like a real, battered, and bleak warzone with authentic weapon behavior, then RO might be for you. It's only $25, while BF2 still retails at twice the price."

Also the Norwegian review was right on the spot, good too see atleast those that reviews this game are bright enough to see its quantity because it honestly kills the competition. To bad not everyone sees this but its their problem right. ;)

Upvote 0
Nice BRM, please keep the first post updated as we go along. :)

I liked this line from the IGN review:
Don't be surprised if it doesn't immediately appeal to you -- it didn't win me over right away either.

That is the one point I keep stressing to the newbies. RO might need several hours for one to grasp the basic game mechanics so you start racking up kills. This learning curve is probably one of the main reasons the game feels so rewarding!

Upvote 0
Ghad said:
Nice BRM, please keep the first post updated as we go along. :)

Will do :) Also, I'll post any review, positive or negative.. not that its been a concern just yet, as they are all 80% and up :D

Also, if anyone knows of some paper-magazine ones, I'll just post name of magazine and issue # and score..

please dont post scans here
(but you can pm them to me if you want ;))

Upvote 0
Thats a good set of scores and all around the 8.5 mark. Very impressed. Well done Tripwire :)

I bought this months PCZone (May 2006) which came out thursday and there is no mention of RO what so ever. They are prolly too busy raving about console ports.

Edit: I take some of that back, PCZone will have a full review next month out Thursday 27th April.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
http://www.pcpowerplay.de/

They gave RO a score of 81%

Overall the review was quite positive. The reviewers were impressed about the level design, athmosphere and the realism grade in the game.

Their criticism was:

-manual bolting
-lack of teamwork on public servers
-stationary radio points for calling artillery
-possibilitys for commander role are to few
-tank damage model is unrealistic in parts
-no Solomodus
-hard for beginners
-loading times

Upvote 0
Review from the PC Powerplay (German Paper Magazine)

and some short facts from them, since it was tested by two Testers some Points appear on both the Pro/Contra Side, which makes for good testing imho. And we all knew Ostfront ain't for everyone.

PC Powerplay said:
[FONT=Tahoma,Helvetica]Pro:

- Realistic Weapon Properties
- excellent (and open) Level Design
- Many Way to reach an Objective
- Good balanced Situational Awareness in Tanks
- running well on aged Systems
- no Crosshairs
- More Rewarding Feel for taking deceicive Action (taking out a well placed MG for example)

Contra:
- Difficult for beginners
- Solomode being useless
- long Load times below 2 GB RAM
- Vehicles feel less realistic than Infantry (Damage System)
- Too much Realism(Having to manually bolt, or run to the Radio to call in Artillery)

Averaged Score:
81 %
[/FONT] (one Tester gave 79% the other 82%)

Individual Scores

Graphics: 8
Sound: 7
Controls: 7
Singleplayer: 3

System Check
Resolution @ Specs:
640x480 = Gforce2, Cpu: 1.5 Ghz, 512 MB RAM
1024x768 = Geforce 4, Cpu: 2.4 Ghz, 1.0 GB RAM
1280x1024 = Geforce FX, Cpu: 3.0 Ghz, 2.0 GB RAM

Upvote 0
MadMax said:

They gave RO a score of 81%

Overall the review was quite positive. The reviewers were impressed about the level design, athmosphere and the realism grade in the game.

Their criticism was:

-manual bolting
-lack of teamwork on public servers
-no Solomodus
-hard for beginners
-loading times

Have to comment on this:

-This isn't really a negative thing. All you have to do is double click.
-Depends on server.
-Can't comment on this.
-Too many commanders isn't exactly a positive thing as there is already a constant bombardment of artillery.
-Can't comment on this.
-It's an online game...
-True.
-Maybe.

Upvote 0
MadMax said:

"Fixing" the first two options here, would lead to MASSIVE artilleryspamming.. and the third one.. well, its system is probably among the most realistic out there.. taking bouncing, weakspots, engine, ammo, belts etc into account..

Just my opinion ofcourse ;)

Upvote 0
Most of the cons that have been stated are either lessons learned from the mod(manual bolting) or necessary to create a realistic experience(only a few commanders).

Other than the load time, system issues are delegated to a handful of crippling bugs. The reviews are all pretty fair, but most of the things they criticize are the good things that seperate RO from games like BF2 and CS. I suppose you would have to see the evolution of the mod to retail to understand why things like manual bolting are lifesavers.

Upvote 0
imho honest gamer could have done some more research (some fixes for the LOOOONG loading times for example), and the reviewer was clearly allready tired of WW2 shooters (so was allready biased against it), while completely ignoring the fackt that this ones different because its based completley on the eastern front and included tanks ect.

basicly i wouldnt give it to much attention.
althou to be fair he did say that if your a fan of ww2 you could add atleast 2 points to the score.

Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
while completely ignoring the fackt that this ones different because its based completley on the eastern front and included tanks ect.

Well, to be fair, he does actually state that the eastern front approach makes RO unique..

He has some fair points, but something tells me he havent even tried tank-maps, and even in the half of the game he has tested, some things are just unfair, like exaggerating load-times and inablity to jump, without mentioning that you had been sprinting first...

He also leaves out some key elements, like the ability to rest weapons on anything, and the fact that leaning, crouching and proning is actually useful in RO, as opposed to most games where they are mere gimmicks. this is what truly makes it unique IMO, not just the theme/front..

Oh well. lets see what all the other critics come up with :)

Upvote 0
I don't think I've read a single review from HonestGamers that I actually agreed with (granted, I never exactly exhaustively perused their archives, so I'm sure there are some out there that I would). In my own personal experience, the vast majority of people who would use words like "honest" or "unbiased" to describe their reviews actually mean either "trash the game for no reason" or "heap most-likely-undeserved praise on the game".

However, this line caught me: "If you are a diehard fan of WWII shooters, or just need a break from Battlefield 2, Red Orchestra will have enough to offer and you may feel free to add two points to the score." Personally, I would just truncate that to "feel free to add two points to the score", but whatever, I guess to each his own.

Upvote 0