• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation [3ds Max] What is the best way to model cracks/holes in planar objects?

Nightingale

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Alright, I am a super noob when it comes to 3ds Max; this is my explanation of why I ask this kind of probably super obvious question. That said, how would you guys go about creating a big crack in something like this and bridging the gap between the outer and inner surfaces? I tried creating a cylinder, scrambling around the vertices to make a cracked shape, and then using ProCutter to cut out the edges (you can see some of this work in the side), but this leaves me with strange unweldable vertices and edges which won't bridge, which tells me I have gone about this in a totally wrong way.
What is the best way to do this?
Spoiler!

I'm a nOOd 2, but what I would prolly do:

1. Make 2 copies of yout tunnel section.

2. 1st copy delete the one half

3. 2nd copy delete the other half

4. Cap the new ends (create polys)

5. Drag verts to the desired visual locations on each half (keep them seperate so you can work on only one at a time yet have both visible)

6. Attach the 1st copy to the second to make one mesh.

Upvote 0
I quickly made this as an example:

What I did:

- select those polygons on the outside of the wall where you want to cut that hole into

- right click, select "cut", cut the jagged hole, then delete the resulting polygons you want to remove

- repeat that on the inside of the wall: select the polygons, right click -> "cut", cut the hole, select and remove the resulting polygons

- then bridge the edges of the outer and inner wall one by one.

Hope it helps, don't hesitate to ask for further info.

Upvote 0