• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

[3ds Max] What is the best way to model cracks/holes in planar objects?

Nightingale

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 15, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Alright, I am a super noob when it comes to 3ds Max; this is my explanation of why I ask this kind of probably super obvious question. That said, how would you guys go about creating a big crack in something like this and bridging the gap between the outer and inner surfaces? I tried creating a cylinder, scrambling around the vertices to make a cracked shape, and then using ProCutter to cut out the edges (you can see some of this work in the side), but this leaves me with strange unweldable vertices and edges which won't bridge, which tells me I have gone about this in a totally wrong way.
What is the best way to do this?
Spoiler!

Twrecks

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 28, 2011
Ventura, California
I'm a nOOd 2, but what I would prolly do:

1. Make 2 copies of yout tunnel section.

2. 1st copy delete the one half

3. 2nd copy delete the other half

4. Cap the new ends (create polys)

5. Drag verts to the desired visual locations on each half (keep them seperate so you can work on only one at a time yet have both visible)

6. Attach the 1st copy to the second to make one mesh.

Nightingale

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 15, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Oops, I worded my post in a confusing way. What I'm trying to do here is cut a jaggedy hole in the ceiling of this mesh so that it can be used with TWI's sewer rubble mesh.

Siegertyp

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 26, 2012
I quickly made this as an example:

What I did:

- select those polygons on the outside of the wall where you want to cut that hole into

- right click, select "cut", cut the jagged hole, then delete the resulting polygons you want to remove

- repeat that on the inside of the wall: select the polygons, right click -> "cut", cut the hole, select and remove the resulting polygons

- then bridge the edges of the outer and inner wall one by one.

Hope it helps, don't hesitate to ask for further info.

TrampledUnderFoot

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 23, 2010
US
scottkeeley.cghub.com
FYI, you don't need to bridge the edges one by one. If both holes have the same number of edges (in this case they do) just select both holes with border selection (the one between edges and faces on your editable poly) and hit bridge.