• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation 3DS Max, animating tutorials, hand models

Flogger23m

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2009
I recently got a copy of 3DS Max 2012. I decided I would like to try making 1st person weapon animations. I'll keep it short:

1) Does anyone know any good animating tutorials?

2) What is the best forum for someone with zero 3DS Max and animating knowledge to get help?

3) Does anyone know of any decent quality hand/arm models that I can use? Right now I have decided to use Susi's Dragunov model (check below).

As of now, my "animation" is twirling the gun around as if hands are manipulating it. :p

Edit: Decided to give a SIG-552 model I found a try. Here is my first attempt at making some kind of animation:

SIG-552 Anims Test - YouTube

Last edited:
One of your best options is to purchase a subscription from Digital Tutors. They have so much material, it's crazy. You will learn 3ds Max inside out. I stopped subscribing to them because they went in a more production centric line now, instead of gaming. Another great source, albeit a bit more expensive, is Eat3D. They have some great 3ds max stuff, as well as a lot of UDK related content, so you would get all your RO2 needs from them.

Upvote 0
The biggest area I am having difficulty is selecting what I want, and combining "objects". For example, sometimes I only have the magazine highlighted, and I try to move it, however tiny parts of the rifle itself are also pulled and moved with it. My other issue is that the scope and rifle itself are two different pieces, so if I move one the other stays still. How would I select both at the same time and then combine the two?

I am referring to the SVD model posted in the thread on this forum.

Edit: Decided to give a SIG-552 model I found a try. Here is my first attempt at making some kind of animation:

SIG-552 Anims Test - YouTube

And I have a dumb question. The model came default with a lot of "zoom"/magnification. How can I decrease it?

This is what I mean by "zoom" :

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af73/Flogger23m/3dsmax2011-10-1500-49-53-76.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
does anyone have tutorial for making buildings static mesh? I never touched any modelling program and I'd like to make some simple buildings for a map

Unreal has a way to create SM's from Brush. You basically make something out of all additions (No Subtractions). Then you select all the brush and create SM and it will make a SM out of it. It's ofcourse not as quality as making a SM in a 3D program but its good for little quick SMs.

Upvote 0
to OP one thing you may want to do if your model is separate pieces is use the select and link tool, the chain icon top left of Max 2012, click on 1 item, say the magazine, now click and drag to the main part of the gun and release (the main part should briefly highlight). Now if you move the main part of the gun the magazine will move with it but you can still move the magazine independently if you want. Just make sure you drag them all to the main key piece, i.e. the scope, magazine, would all just be linked to the main part.

Hope that makes sense, apologies if you already knew that.

Upvote 0
does anyone have tutorial for making buildings static mesh? I never touched any modelling program and I'd like to make some simple buildings for a map

Le0,
I don't have any real experience yet (as you've seen from my models :D) but 3DS Max has been pretty easy to get the hang of. It's been easy to create basic buildings and features like doors and windows. In addition, the measurement units carry over to the SDK on a 1-to-1 basis so you don't need to worry about re-scaling your models in order to get them to work in the SDK. Battle damage is pretty easy to create, too.

Upvote 0
I'm sure I could give you a nice arm rig, Broke has a really nice leather set on his channel using default max bones but he added some really useful controllers, I have a bunch of rigs using the CAT rigging System, Tripwire released some KF weapons and you can just take the arms from there and set them back to the default pose so you can use them yourself, you can also contact them about the RO2 hands, [TW]Zerisus would be your man for that

Upvote 0