• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation 3D Max 8.0 DXF export mirror/rotate problem

DXF (AutoCAD / AutoDESK) format

DXF (AutoCAD / AutoDESK) format

AutoCAD DXF (Drawing Interchange Format, or Drawing Exchange Format) is a CAD data file format developed by Autodesk for enabling data interoperability between AutoCAD and other programs.

DXF was originally introduced in December 1982 as part of AutoCAD 1.0, and was intended to provide an exact representation of the data in the AutoCAD native file format, DWG (Drawing), for which Autodesk for many years did not publish specifications. Because of this, correct imports of DXF files have been difficult. Autodesk now publishes the DXF specifications, http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=8446698 on its website for versions of DXF dating from AutoCAD Release 13 to AutoCAD 2009.

Check normals, now I can use the ASE format. Many thanks!

Russ
www.fireonthevolga.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0
3D Max 8.0 DXF export mirror/rotate problem

I've reached a point where I need a decent 3D modelling program. I have tried several 'budget' oriented modelling programs, but just about all of them have some critical flaw that prevents me from using it. I'm just looking for a tool that's easy to use and can import/export correctly. It is almost beginning to sound like the only decent modelling program is 3D Studio Max, but it's several thousand dollars and way out of my budget. So I would like to know if anyone has recommendations. I'll list the programs I've tried and why they don't work, then the list of features I need below that.

Programs I've tried:

- MilkShape 3D - can't import in X format (or other formats I can create basic meshes in). Trying to import in DXF format (another one I could use) caused a crash.

- 3D Canvas - Not sure where to start, too many problems.

- TrueSpace 3.2 - Lack of decent X format support. Imported objects often miss polygons. But exporting works very good. This program is the closest so far, it's got the right tools and almost compatible X format support.

- GameSpace 1.5 - X export doesn't even work. Works much like Truespace, which is good, but it just can't export like I need it to.

- AC3D - No true X export options. Textures are lost on saving. Only seems to like its own proprietary format. Fantastic interface and ease of use, really bugs me I can't use this program.

Upvote 0
top 3d modelling programs:

3DsMax
XSI
Blender
Maya

those are the top 4.

btw, autodesk doesn't actually expect normal users to buy 3dsmax until you start to use it for commercial stuff. Same approach as Adobe with photoshop. In truth their programs wouldn't ever be as big now and widespread if it weren't for casual people creating content with it and they know it.
Do you think that every modeller for mods out there bought a license for the 3d package listed above? hell no, only those who are in the industry or extremely rich buy licenses.

Upvote 0