• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] 2010: What game are you looking forward to?

2010: What game are you looking forward to?

• Total voters
I'll never understand the attraction of MMORPGs. They're about as exciting as watching paint dry.

This.
I had some fun with MMO's when they were still new and fresh (ie the starting hours of the game).
In the end they all bog down into a grind, with an endless repetition (WoW's daily quests anyone?)
Next to that too many MMO's focus on the 'endgame', meaning you have to grind for a few hundred hours before you are finally allowed to play 'they way we intended the game to be'.
Next to that, almost every MMO looks the same, especially HUD-wise, and plays the same.
Age of Conan did something with their fighting system to make it more interesting ( you having to direct every blow instead of an auto-attach option leaving you in much more control ) but the rest of the game is pretty much the same as every other MMO which means that in the end it still becomes ****ing boring.
I have tried more then enough MMO's, and now i can safely say that there isnt a single hair on my head thinking of ever touching any other MMO ever again.
Not even with a 10 metre pole, not even if i got paid to do it. Let alone to pay for it myself each month. There are better and more fun ways to earn my money, like standing on the back of a garbage truck emptying trash cans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
MMORPG's are fun, for me, because they allow you to take part in the most epic size battles. Well, maybe not that epic, but Barrens' crossroads was always a fun place if you wanted some PvP action. And that really is the attraction, being better in PvP than the other guy.

But then everyone got to end-game and it became boring. Also the awesome loot you got no longer made you slightly better, but it became a requirement if you even wanted to play the game further. After realizing that the game became pretty tedious.

Ultima Online on the other hand (the illegal shards that is, never played the real one) had REALLY rare stuff. Stuff that made you almost invincible.
Or if you couldn't get the stuff you could just train to be better in your profession, skill counted a lot in that game.

Upvote 0
This.
I had some fun with MMO's when they were still new and fresh (ie the starting hours of the game).
In the end they all bog down into a grind, with an endless repetition (WoW's daily quests anyone?)
Next to that too many MMO's focus on the 'endgame', meaning you have to grind for a few hundred hours before you are finally allowed to play 'they way we intended the game to be'.
Next to that, almost every MMO looks the same, especially HUD-wise, and plays the same.
Age of Conan did something with their fighting system to make it more interesting ( you having to direct every blow instead of an auto-attach option leaving you in much more control ) but the rest of the game is pretty much the same as every other MMO which means that in the end it still becomes ****ing boring.
I have tried more then enough MMO's, and now i can safely say that there isnt a single hair on my head thinking of ever touching any other MMO ever again.
Not even with a 10 metre pole, not even if i got paid to do it. Let alone to pay for it myself each month. There are better and more fun ways to earn my money, like standing on the back of a garbage truck emptying trash cans.

Age of Conan is the only MMO I've ever truly loved.

Upvote 0
- Mount & Blade Warbands for some multiplayer quick battles, should be fun
- Storm of War if it ever comes out
- Wings of Prey to keep me entertained while waiting for SoW

and I'm afraid that's it. Starcraft 2 was ruined for me for the rip-off that comes with it. I'll just say no to Blizzard unless they start caring for there games more than for their purses again like they used to. Bioshock 2 could be fun, but then, Bioshock is one of those games that should just stand for itself and doesn't need a sequel. Hmm, maybe Mass Effect 2 since I liked Dragon Age Origins.

Upvote 0
I can see the appeal of Mmorps games, but for me the problem is the fees - they would probably make me feel like i have to play a lot to get my money's worth, and I don't like to feel I have to play any game.
I have so many games already i'm interested in playing I can't give enough time to do them justice, and i never pay the full price on release anymore.
For example the whole WM2 on PC 'issue' was a good thing for me : any excuse to reject a game.
As to what i'm looking forward to this year - followups to Mass effect and bioshock i guess, although i have both origional games and haven't got round to playing either yet...

Upvote 0