• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

12 ways Consoles are hurting PC gaming

first comment said:
PC gaming is suffering because PC has the highest rate of piracy for games.

haha, funny how many of the console mega hits become available on trackers days or even weeks before release
face.gif

Upvote 0
It's not that they're lazy, it's just business. The vast, vast majority of gaming sales are by console gamers, so that's where their resources go. Public companies are driven by chasing quarterly and yearly profits for their stockholders, not by building games only sought after by the minority.

The most unforeseen consequences of this, at least for me anyway, was how console hardware is limiting and in fact regressing PC games. See "The future isn't now" It seems until consoles become replaced or morphed into a new gaming system similar to *gasp* a gaming PC, we're going to get fed simplified ports. I mean I get the whole gamepad/keyboard reason for simplifying, I just didn't think about that they have to build for the lowest common denominator, not the highest.

It will be interesting to see:

A) How much HOS crosses over into the mainstream. Will it convert gamers who will enjoy and then demand a richer and more complicated MP gaming environment? Will players discover/rediscover a community who provide mods and content extending the life of a game for years?

B) If HOS influences any of the strategy of mainstream developers down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shepherd
Upvote 0
Since the developers make the decision themselves, I would think. It's not like Bill Gates has done anything directly to force their hand. I don't understand how that requires explanation.

It's exactly consoles and the easy money they provide why the devs become more and more lazy with every year and dont bother about PC version. Guess the derps buying dlc map packs and **** like that contribute to that.

Hopefully RO2 and BF3 will at least change some of it.

Upvote 0
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, sold 2,000,000+ copies.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 sold 200,000 copies.

Are these accurate? I thought MW2 was a huge hit, but was it only on consoles? If these numbers are true and the sales were that low compared the first one, then it really gives some hope for true pc games/ports with mod tools to arise. I mean one million copies sold was a major hit a few years ago and not something you should kill right away like abowe numbers show(if accurate).

Upvote 0
For the sales numbers that I've seen for various of the multi platform military fps released in the past couple of years, PC sales are generally @4-5% of the total. So, @ 700,000 copies of MW2 were PC.

COD2 sold @2.5 million copies with 33% or 825,000 for PC

It just shows that PC sales are stagnant and consoles are booming. It doesn't matter what their personal preferences are, developers will follow the money.

Upvote 0
More like 12 ways to sound bitter as hell. It's not the consoles' fault developers and their marketing staff became lazy trollops.

Who is to blame in your mind then?

"Blame" might be a bit of a strong word, no one is at fault - but if there weren't consoles with a much larger market, that are far more accessible and provide far more revenue for a lower quality product then PC gaming would be better than ever.

You have to see that as PC gaming evolved communities expectations grew, and gradually the focus has shifted away.

Computer gamers (be it BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum or Amiga) had large adult followings when console games were largely aimed at children - now the target audience of consoles has adjusted to adults, that's where most of the money is.

Why would you put so much extra effort into pleasing supporters of a platform who are harder to please and less likely to put up with your bull***t than you're average console-focussed gamer when you don't have to?

(And please don't bring piracy into it, it's been common for a few years that every big console game appears on torrents months before release)

Upvote 0
I've gotten beyond "blaming" console gamers for supporting a hobby that is coming at the cost of my own platform. They don't really care, and they don't particularly have a reason to.

But I do think it's good people keep documenting how this whole dance between platforms is playing out in reality, in terms of the games that are being produced. It's good people are pointing out why dedicated servers are awesome and worth the money to support, still. Reading that article made me realize, holy crap, there may be hackers in BC2, but because there's dedicated servers, admins and server scripts can ban their asses immediately.

When/if console gamers find themselves wanting more, or asking why their games are the way they are, and if they could be different, there'll be plenty of answers for them. So while that list may be beating a dead horse mostly, it's still a pretty decent assessment of the way things stand.

Upvote 0
How's that work though?? Can you just buy the things that consoles use to run on these days? (I haven't really played or used a console extensively since Super Nintendo so I don't know what they use... CDs or whatever lol)

Consoles have harddrives and I don't think they even make ones that don't have it anymore. And you can surf web with them I don't know how the pirated games work, but I think once consoles will have more features(desktop or cellphone like OS) then I don't see how it will make it any different compared to PCs.

But I don't know much about pirating games so just throwing thoughts out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm. I think the debate is quite moot, as it's actually not developers or consoles harming PC gaming, it's...

*drumroll*

...the customers!
If people stopped pirating good games and buying ****ty ones, or at least would reverse that, the market would be totally different. If you don't like how consolified and stupid all the Call of Honorfront clones are, simply don't buy them, just like me.

Also, criticising companies for wanting to make as much profit as possible by developing for old, tried out and well know hardware for a market that is less likely to pirate it is kind of like criticising cats for being furry. While there are fur-less cats, just as there are companies that don't make profits, those are NOT the ideal cases!

While I was a long time PC advocate and a very passionate enemy of any kind of dumbing down, I came to terms with what consoles and the PC offer and use the sepcific strengths all of them to my benefit, so I actually can't complain much about the gaming market of today, except that the spacesim is a genre quite dead and the new mechwarrior game kind of slipped off the radar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murphy
Upvote 0
If people stopped pirating good games and buying ****ty ones, or at least would reverse that, the market would be totally different. If you don't like how consolified and stupid all the Call of Honorfront clones are, simply don't buy them, just like me.

This is true but it won't happen so sadly it's a very idealistic viewpoint. There will always be people who prefer subpar derivative products and its not just in the games industry. You can find examples in movies (Transformers), tv (American Idol), music (Britney Spears), etc. If you're holding out for a massive shift in popular taste, then good luck cause I don't think it's coming anytime soon. The games industry used to be underground and catered towards a very specific hardcore group but now it's a big deal like tv, movies, and music so you're going to see these safe uninspired titles peddled every year like in every other entertainment sphere and that probably won't change.

All we can hope for is developers with integrity, creativity, and passion for what they're doing. Thankfully, over the past 5 years or so we've seen a decent distribution of power to indie developers through tools like the UDK and distribution outlets like Steam, Xbox Live Arcade, or just through word of mouth over the internet. As long as we still have an outlet for the creative underdogs like Tripwire, Mojang, and Bohemia then I'm happy.

Upvote 0