• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Really average reviews overall...concerned.

sshawny1

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 23, 2020
What a shame. Reading the review quotes doesn't bare well for me either, repetitive gameplay tasks, grindy missions, really short campaign, dated graphics on PC, numerous quality of life problems on PC regarding controls and performance and that's just the start. AI problems and interactions is always rather concerning too with AI sometimes seemingly "numb" to what you are doing and wildlife that doesn't react or interact with the world dynamically. I was really looking forward to this, I thought it would be a big detailed game with plenty of content and well executed, I saw it was EGS exclusive...AGAIN, and thought nothing of it I was just worried how well received the game would get. Unfortunately it seems not well overall and this has me really concerned. People may point out 71/100 currently is "good" but it's not enough to go off the score but actually read the whys and hows of the reviews, and the whys that i have mentioned really bother me thus far.

Hopefully... this can all be turned around with more content, fixes, updates, polish and design updates as the game goes on into it's life in release as I want to thoroughly support games like this because the concept is so fun.

Seems like you may need to upgrade. I watched a streaming of someone playing this on PC maxed out and the game is beautiful and runs smooth.

As far as repetitive gameplay and short campaign go, IF we're being honest, the same arugument can be made for every game you've played and at $40.00, a 20-25 hour game isn't a bad deal at all.

In an industry where remasters/reboots and what's popular overrides originality and uniqueness, we needed this!

Upvote 0
FWIW, I've reached level 30 (the megashark stage, max) and am currently cleaning out the Gulf before going to the last area... It is a bit repetitive and usually I don't like that kind of game, but I've been enjoying it. It is what it is: a simple action game with a fun little twist and light-hearted commentary. I forget which review it was I read, but one of them was literally dinging the game for not having scientifically accurate commentary (missing the point). Also, running on a PC with everything at max and it's actually rather beautiful.

I don't regret buying it, but I did use a $10 coupon from the Epic store.

Upvote 0
Worth a buy just uploaded the Maneater review and it doesn't look good... 4,5

I think he is a little bit harsh but he is right.The biggest problem of the game are the missions.The apex predator missions are nice and cool but then the other missions are from extreme boring to boring.Felt like timefillers.Only real missions could make a diffrence(more movie sequences ,real well thought main missions)but there are quite none.Lack of money? Who knows.
Then the price tag is to high.40 Euros is alot for that content and the quality of it.20 Euros should be the real price.
I had some fun most of the times for 10 hours.
Lets hope there is a Maneater 2 with more money and time behind it.It could be great.

Upvote 0
We all know what this game is and isn't. It is an arcady shark eat'em up. It is not an AAA title with appeal to everyone - although 'not AAA' in this case is literal, it's still a serious studio production. Part of reviews is how appealing it is to people in general, or if it's more of a niche thing. That means it will get more moderate reviews, as a rule of thumb. That it gets 8.4 on metacritic is actually pretty amazing.

Upvote 0
For the price it's a bargain in my opinion. What other game offers you the experience of Maneater?
It's very niche and you can't expect people who dont have that need to desperately play a shark and murder people itch to enjoy it during the scratch. I can see myself playing it every year, it's up there with my most played games Clay Fighter 63 1/3, Destroy all Humans, Baulders Gate, Fallout 4 and Batman Arkham Knight.

Plus you have to give credit to the small team at Tripwire for putting the claspers on the line to make it.
You could also consider you purchase a investment for Maneater 2.

Upvote 0
Worth a buy just uploaded the Maneater review and it doesn't look good... 4,5

Alotta troll Youtubers out there, I remember the sam thing happening with Tripwire's other games as well.

Thing is, these reviews don't matter, what matters is the player's reviews and personal experiences and those have all been very positive of the game.

The game averages a 7.4 from all Youtubers, review sites and outlets. While it averages an 8.7 from user reviews and players. That says it all.

I think the people who are review bombing are doing for 2 simple reasons:

1.) It seems short and that's only because of bad balancing in the game. Once you hit level 7, everything becomes to easy, once you reach level 20, you're basically invincible. This allows you to complete the game unnaturally quick.

2.) Epic exclusivity on PC. If you're a Youtuber, you probably don't want to squandwr your name by siding with Epic...

There it is. That wraps it up lol

• Love
Reactions: KoldStrejke
Upvote 0
Always try a game first, most reviews are generally from that one person's point of view. When I saw this on the PS4 store I decided it looked entertaining and decided to purchase it. I am quite happy with my purchase. Having never heard of this developer I am impressed with what they have done and will watch them from now on to see what else they come up with.

Remember, it's not what someone else thinks about a game, but what you think. I will admit though in some cases reviews are accurate, but many times I prefer to judge for myself and that means taking a leap of faith and just buying it and playing it. In the case of Man Eater I find my money well spent. Titles from other developers I don't recommend would be Jump Force (it's ok, but not great and could have been better), Injustice 1&2 (The MK games are better from the same developer) Tekken and Soul Calibur games of late have also been lacking. But remember if you like them it doesn't matter what we think as long as you enjoy them.

Upvote 0