• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PSA Regarding issue with the Matriarch Seasonal Objective

Kittenmittens

Tripwire Interactive Community Team
Staff member
We've been considering how to best approach the issue players are having with needing the final blow in order to gain credit for the victory. We looked at the feasibility of a hotfix at this point in December. Unfortunately, with the holidays and the timing it will not work out. We do not want players to miss out on the reward. We want you all to be able to relax and enjoy the seasonal with out stressing over the combination of RNG and needing a final blow, as that was never intentional. We feel that the best thing to do is make sure players get the seasonal reward at the end of the event whether the Matriarch Objective is completed or not. Players will be receiving the reward at the end of the event regardless of the status of the Matriarch specific Objective. Apologies for the inconvenience. No get back to shooting and hacking up zeds in true holiday spirit!

Reactions: Metrion
I have to question why this was done in the first place.

Previous events: Boss kills were shared among all players. Bosses spawned predictably on the new maps.

The fact you guys say it's not an easy fix implies this wasn't a mistake or an oversight, it was intentional.

I get that having a really rare boss is kind of a cool idea, sure. I get this was probably experimental. But why tie rewards to beating a highly random boss, during a time limited seasonal event, in a game where there has been no previous competition between players?

We've known since the old MMO days that making players fight over a spawn kill is unpopular, unfun, abusively grindy and makes people compete rather than cooperate. The fact that someone thought this was a workable idea is troubling.

Thank you for revisiting it. But please never do this again.

Upvote 0
To this day I'm still waiting for a Matriarch boss fight, still didn't have it yet, I mean WTF TWI are you doing?

edit: three more matches and still NO MATRIARCH! A friend is actually calculating his encounter statistics, I think he is actually at LESS THAN 4% CHANCE of encountering Matriarch (he's at nearly thirty matches so far with ONE Matriarch)! WTF is that?!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I stopped participating in BETA after years of being ignored for 'this' or 'that' issue. Rest assured that all the efforts are made to make cosmetics and crates work though.. (and actualllyyyy........ I reported and upped multiple time an issue I have in the only two cosmetics I paid for in crates, they never gave a ****, maybe because it was me who reported I don't know.. so even for some cosmetic they don't give a ****...)

Upvote 0
I've been farming normal endless soloplay for the past 2 days. Managed to get 3 Matty kills and I was not looking forward to doing the same for the next few days until I found this topic.

While I'm thankful for this bit of news, I'd just like this confirmed. I play on PC and PS4. This applies to all platforms right so that includes consoles as well? (Pretty sure PC is covered...)

Upvote 0
Had to register to post on this issue.
Been playing the Jul-event for 3 days now, some roughly ~30 matches in total. Including couple Endless fooling around.
Got to see Matty ONCE (1x) in the whole time.
Seriously, TWI ! Implement some boss-elimination system that blocks already appeared bosses from re-appearing on the next game!
OR at least increase Matty's appearance rate by some 4-8x.

Been playing KF since 1.0 Demo from 2005, and this is easily the most frustrating event in the history of the IP.

Upvote 0
I'm glad you've decided to do this, though I am baffled as to why she was made so rare.

Since I started playing the seasonal last Friday (the 13th) I've managed to rack up 5 Matriarch kills, four in solo and one in endless. She's only appeared three times in public survival matches aside from that.

Are there any plans to increase the chances of her appearing in future? Seems a shame to go to the trouble of creating a new boss and then hiding it away.

Upvote 0