• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cap bar...

It would be nice to have that.

Or at least ithat the enemy presence bar would only show enemy presence when its between 25% and 75%. So that both the initial attackers and defenders have no idea of how big a force they are dealing with.

The biggest issue is that once the cap zone is for instance in 100% allied hands, and some axis enters the cap zone. That everybody suddenly sees that someone is in the cap zone. Without anyone actually noticing it himself. Once people know there are enemies in the cap zone, the enemy presence bar isn't that bad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah this is the only feature added to RO:OST that wasnt in the original mod that I really have never liked. It's fine to show capture progress, but I really dont like how the current system essentially tells you how many other enemies are in the capture zone with you. It always turns into "run around and try to find that one guy" when obviously in real life soldiers wouldn't have this sixth sense.

Upvote 0
Do you liked GPS map? I liked it better when it didn't show your position. And this is another thing I'd like disabled in realism mode.

If maps would auto generate I would get bothered by the GPS in the maps. But as maps stay the same you'll remember every map by heart after playing it 3 times, making the GPS a tool only used to make things easier for newer players.

Which is why even for realistic realism I wouldn't mind it if there would be GPS and even the 3d showcase of where cap zones are when you press the HUD on demand system. Sure it is not realistic but either having it or not is not advantageous or disadvantageous, so it could be turned on or off as a client option rather than a server option.

If anything, I would actually rather have more detail on the overhead maps, like for instance street names and building names. So voice communication on public servers gets more streamlined.

The only time I ever use the overhead map when I play RO is to check what capzones are being capped. I would like to see the minimap disabled however in realistic realism as that actually does give players with it an advantage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If maps would auto generate I would get bothered by the GPS in the maps. But as maps stay the same you'll remember every map by heart after playing it 3 times, making the GPS a tool only used to make things easier for newer players.

Which is why even for realistic realism I wouldn't mind it if there would be GPS and even the 3d showcase of where cap zones are when you press the HUD on demand system. Sure it is not realistic but either having it or not is not advantageous or disadvantageous, so it could be turned on or off as a client option rather than a server option.

If anything, I would actually rather have more detail on the overhead maps, like for instance street names and building names. So voice communication on public servers gets more streamlined.

The only time I ever use the overhead map when I play RO is to check what capzones are being capped. I would like to see the minimap disabled however in realistic realism as that actually does give players with it an advantage.

I remember Kiev in RO:CA, and the overhead map looked like a hand drawn thing, I thought it was very cool that way. I wish there was that for every map in realism mode.

Upvote 0
I remember Kiev in RO:CA, and the overhead map looked like a hand drawn thing, I thought it was very cool that way. I wish there was that for every map in realism mode.

Yeah it looks cool but having or not having that overhead map doesn't give anyone any advantage/disadvantage really. Which is why I think it could be an user option. And wouldn't need to be an server option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you liked GPS map? I liked it better when it didn't show your position. And this is another thing I'd like disabled in realism mode.
What are you talking about? what GPS map?

Are you talking about the map you can bring up in RO1 that lists your objectives and shows your location? What's wrong with that? People have to have an easy way to orient themselves in the environment. It falls under one of those things that is easier to do in real life than it is in a game, given the same information.

I'm just saying I don't like the current cap bar in RO:OST because it tells you there are enemies in the capzone even if the enemy isn't capturing the objective.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fed said:
Will there be a realism setting that makes the cap bar look like the one in RO:CA where you couldn't see how many people from each side were in the objective?

I hope we can turn off the 'how many people are in the capzone with me' meter. That was one of those things that changed from the mod that I always disliked. It really changed how the game was played.

I also hope we can turn off the blinkie capzone notification on the map when someone is capping a zone. If my whole team and I are in the Back Route for example, we shouldnt be able to check the map to see if the opposing team is currently capping the Mortar. We should have to keep a player over there if we want to know it is being capped/under attack.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What are you talking about? what GPS map?

Are you talking about the map you can bring up in RO1 that lists your objectives and shows your location? What's wrong with that? People have to have an easy way to orient themselves in the environment. It falls under one of those things that is easier to do in real life than it is in a game, given the same information.

I don't know if a map tells you where you are in real life, in fact I don't even know if they had maps, and even if they had, they should be quite confusing, as they would cover far more than the mission area that are 3 or 4 streets. Try taking a map and tell me if is easy to find your own position in real life, tell me how long did it take you. Then try it with a city you don't even know.

I'm just saying I don't like the current cap bar in RO:OST because it tells you there are enemies in the capzone even if the enemy isn't capturing the objective.

Of course we agree here, which was the point of this thread. But as you mentioned it as being the only addition you disliked in Roost, I was surprised that you actually liked the GPS map (which was another addition).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

There are two types of newer players:

1- Casual gamers who never played RO and are trying Hoes

2- You and I, who are RO veterans, will be new one day (in Hoes), and will probably start playing with a high realism setting anyway.

So, while the statement is true for 1, they have relaxed realism setting which is designed for them, so no loss here. But what about us? when we are new, do you want to miss the pleasure of trying to figure the maps out in your first games?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the gps is a very nice feature in roost when you are in the back of a people carrier. i always look at the map when someone else is driving so i know our position and when to bail.
from the inside of a vehicle it difficult to see if the driver is retarded or not so i would like the gps to stay at least for maps with vehicles.

also, im pretty shure albert speer invented a global positioning system for the berlin olympics. the germans later used it during the blitzkrieg in poland.:p

Upvote 0
the gps is a very nice feature in roost when you are in the back of a people carrier. i always look at the map when someone else is driving so i know our position and when to bail.
from the inside of a vehicle it difficult to see if the driver is retarded or not so i would like the gps to stay at least for maps with vehicles.

In that case, you wouldn't know your position in real life either, why should you know it in the game?

Upvote 0
I don't know if a map tells you where you are in real life, in fact I don't even know if they had maps, and even if they had, they should be quite confusing, as they would cover far more than the mission area that are 3 or 4 streets. Try taking a map and tell me if is easy to find your own position in real life, tell me how long did it take you. Then try it with a city you don't even know.

Of course we agree here, which was the point of this thread. But as you mentioned it as being the only addition you disliked in Roost, I was surprised that you actually liked the GPS map (which was another addition).
I don't mind the map because I see it positively impacting gameplay overall. And I do think that in real life you have a better sense of your surroundings and have less of a need to look at a map than you do in a game.

Upvote 0
There are two types of newer players:

1- Casual gamers who never played RO and are trying Hoes

2- You and I, who are RO veterans, will be new one day (in Hoes), and will probably start playing with a high realism setting anyway.

So, while the statement is true for 1, they have relaxed realism setting which is designed for them, so no loss here. But what about us? when we are new, do you want to miss the pleasure of trying to figure the maps out in your first games?

For me I wouln't need an overhead map at all really, and I wouldn't care if it was there or not. Which is why I mean that it could be optional.

Sure the first 3 times I wont know the maps but that time is so short that I think it could be made optional to the clients and wouldn't need to be forced by the server.

the defending force should hold the capzone as long as the last man is alive.

you see often that people in ostfront, especially in urban maps just run into the cap, one guy more, and boom its gone.

The issue is that in a game that would promote hiding too much, and make the duration to cap a zone realistic (aka hours to days to fully capture one building). As more people will just defend to the last man rather than surrender in a game than in reallife. Which is why I made my cap system suggestion

Last edited:
Upvote 0