• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Teammates Names above head icons

Please could you change it so it's a small triangle above the players head and there name tag only shows up if you look at them directly

I think it will improve alot on the immersion and still keep friendly fire down to a low.

A reasons on why it's good to go to this style

It's been stated in the recent Pax video that you didnt want icons to block players view so you added a hud button, having name tags all over the place is basicly the same thing.

Also i feel the messages of points being captured needs to be moved to the stop of the screen more and maybe a bit smaller. It shouldnt block the view of a player, seen in one of the sniper videos it takes up the top part of vision of the scope it's self..

These changes are small but i think will improve the game so much more.

Input? :)

Please could you change it so it's a small triangle above the players head and there name tag only shows up if you look at them directly

I think it will improve alot on the immersion and still keep friendly fire down to a low.

A reasons on why it's good to go to this style

It's been stated in the recent Pax video that you didnt want icons to block players view so you added a hud button, having name tags all over the place is basicly the same thing.

Also i feel the messages of points being captured needs to be moved to the stop of the screen more and maybe a bit smaller. It shouldnt block the view of a player, seen in one of the sniper videos it takes up the top part of vision of the scope it's self..

These changes are small but i think will improve the game so much more.

Input? :)
In RO:Ost, you can toggle this. I'm sure it will carry over to HoS.

Upvote 0
I totally agree. There should be no "name tags" unless you look at someone (a friendly) directly or press the sort of overlay objective function.

I hate how name tags hover above a player in KF. It is convenient way to find where the hell your dudes are, but the name tag can interfere when shooting.

This won't be so much of an issue in HOS, but it will definitely add immersion if name tags don't hover above friendly players permanently, whether in realism mode or not. They simply look silly and are not necessary. They should only appear if I want them to.

Giggity

Reactions: Apos
Upvote 0
In the bashandslash podcast when Ramm was talking about the tactical view/hud on demand system.

I asked whether it would be possible to hide playernames till you pressed the tactical view button. Ramm misunderstood that question and told a story about the death message modes.

As the person I pmed to ask that question realized that I actually meant the friendly playernames rather than deathmessages, he asked another tripwire staff member to not interfere with john's talking.

He then pmed me that yes, players can optionally hide friendly playernames to the hud on demand / tacticalview system. So you then won't see player names unless you press that button.

PS. I created a similar post as this one in the past:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=41878&highlight=playernames

Last edited:
Reactions: Apos
Upvote 0
Customizable HUD...

I hate games which don't give me the option to turn off all the feedback. Feedback which I don't need. Stuff like a CIRCLE around your character in a isometric RPG....Why do I need this? I know who my character is!

Names above heads in shooters...I don't CARE who that person is 100% of the time. I only care who is 3% of the time. Just give me a button to press to bring names up or when I get close to them. Chances are if I'm 150 meters away and I want to know who that guy is in my scope...He'll be on ventrilo and I'll be asking him "Is that you?"

jeesh...Just give us the damn options to turn things on and off

Upvote 0
Old post i know but i still wanna get the point across that even in relaxed realism TWI should do something similar to this, rather than a name tag that floats above someones head which is totally immersion killing and gets in the way.

So much better to have it like this, a transparent msg that's allways at the top (or bottom) of the screen only when you look directly at someone and/or are close

Screen shot attached

http://imageshack.us/f/518/34744dq1.jpg/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There shouldn't be ANY names above friendly players.

The nametags should only be shown if you press the "objective button"

Perphaps also if you look directlyy at them

That my oppinion

You can distinguish people IRL because they have different body shapes and different faces. All the bodies are the same in RO and the faces are barely relevant at all.

The nametag fills that role that cannot otherwise be filled.

Upvote 0
Old post i know but i still wanna get the point across that even in relaxed realism TWI should do something similar to this, rather than a name tag that floats above someones head which is totally immersion killing and gets in the way.
Be careful not to confuse relaxed realism with "COD style", it's still realistic, just with a few more helpers and pointers and other tidbits. I'm sure there will still be the option to remove them if you wish.

yes they are needed, pressing a key all the time would be annoying for me.
Maybe it could be optional, so people can set it to their own preference. I know I don't want names floating around on the screen when I don't need them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe the rank of a soldier could appear above heads? It could help distinguish more experienced people quickly which could be helpful (like deciding which machine gunner to give ammo to without having to pull up the score screen and checking who is higher up).
Definatly not, the point of this post was for RO2 not to slip into cod styles.. I am unsure why it has become the standard, to me personally it look's quite stupid having a name tag or icon hover above a person..

Bring back skill of identifying targets

Upvote 0
Your squad members could have numbers over their head when close, from 1-8 or however big the squad is representing their place in the squad. The rest of your teammates would have a small triangle as mentioned in op. If you look at someone directly it would still display their name.

Would make the text smaller but still allow you to keep track of who is who in your squad.

Upvote 0