• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Knives and shovels.

Nicholas

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
I think it would be accurate to include knives and shovels as melee weapons, there proof that they were used fairly often, I know that Russian assault teams were issued short shovels as melee weapons for CQB, and I even saw a Hitler Youth knife in person that had blood stains on it from WW2.

I'm not sayin it should be like COD or BC where your knife comes out within a fraction of a second, it should just be an optional side weapon.

It would be cool if riflemen could use bayonets seperately from their rifles, if most clases carried a knife or dagger of some sort, if Russian assault guys carried short shovels, and elite German carried Hitler Youth knives.

Last edited:
They haven't released any info about bayonets, knifes, or any type of melee yet.

BUT. I hope they pull it off in a realistic fashion, it's either 4 stabs to kill a guy (BF2) or a 0.2 second knife animation that insta-kills.

Please find a balance .____.

A rifle itself is already effective as a melee weapon, bayonets are more useful for mass charges to put fear into the enemy, although they're still nasty weapons in their own right, shovels are extremely effective and could be used by guys who don;t have rifles. There have always been a bagillion different knives on the market, I'd like to see average soldiers carrying standard issue knives and daggers while having higher ups using nicer ones, like the Hitler Youth knife for example.

But with all that said, melee is rare and is a last resort, but its still and always will be a part of warfare.

Upvote 0
my thoughts when this was discussed for RO was that you could ditch your (ammo-less) weapons and be left holding a knife or shovel, which would be more effective than the rifle butt - however you could not select it while you still had a rifle, or after you picked one up again.
So it was literally a last-ditch weapon, rather than something what could be unrealistically abused.

Of course HoS is a different game so lets wait and see

Upvote 0
Having a knife could be pretty handy for guys with weapons that don't mount a bayonet (especially for sneaky kills from behind). But if I'm using a gun that has a bayonet, I'll take that over a knife any day

that's a hollywood commando cliche. sneaking around knifing guys just sounds ridiculous in a setting like stalingrad. would be nice to have a melee system where players struggled with each other using knives and whatnot.

Upvote 0
I just hope that the melee system is easier on the player, like no free aim after releasing the bayonet.

I just hate to see people circling around each other missing when they are fighting with bayonets. Hitting someone with a bayonet should be relatively easy. However I would like some additional depth in melee fighting like for instance deflecting a melee strike.

I'd love to see fighting closer to this (35 secs and later) compared to what we have now. (Duelling could actually be a nice mini game :p)

YouTube - The soviet bayonet fighting (1939 y.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0