• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
That's a cool idea HP!

Sorta an "ambient lighting effect" that could be scripted for night actions. Really neat possiblilities too.....can you imagine players scrambling under ther cover of darkness trying to avoid being caught in the open before the next illumination flare pops off overhead (especially if the intervals were random).

Thumbs up on this suggestion!

Reactions: Extension7
Upvote 0
This doesn't sound like a half-bad idea. It could almost take on the role of whether effects (lightning) where in some parts you do get that luminous light and such, I think it could even be eerie in darker maps, like the light coming through the window or something, just as long as it isn't constant and only lasts as long as a real one would.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem with night time maps is

I turn my brightness up I can pwn you from three-four times further away then you can even see me

Its really cheap and wrong.....but ppl do it in many other games out there

:/ please no night maps PLEASE!

I would love them,but just cant be done correctly in game :(

Let's have night maps and Garbonzo is kicked out while by default? :D

Upvote 0
I can see it now......

" How the hell does he keep shooting me, it's pitch black "

Make way for the gamma rangers :rolleyes::rolleyes: The same tards who thought scrawling a crosshair on their monitors would be a good way to gain an advantage...

Edit: Of course, if you are talking about flared trousers, why the hell not! They would go well with the rolled up sleeves :IS2::IS2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I could really only see flares as a sort of Commander ability ... called in from the radio just like everything else. Of course, squad leaders can request illumination with their binocs. This would be really cool for a larger map, like a night version of Fallen Fighters, for instance.

This is also a great idea for Rising Storm -- both the US and Japanese armies used flares to great effect in the Pacific Campaign.

Upvote 0
I wish more people would love playing night maps. That's probably why you see little of them played or created because no one seems interested in them.
Hey Hans, in Stalingrad the Soviets used night attacks a lot (basically to neutralize German domination of the air). I would be very interested in fighting night ops, it's a large part of how the Soviets fought in the city. This idea by HP could almost form the basis for another MP mode (Night Ops with randomly-timed flare illumination).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem with night time maps is

I turn my brightness up I can pwn you from three-four times further away then you can even see me

I can see it now......

" How the hell does he keep shooting me, it's pitch black "

Make way for the gamma rangers :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is a common misconception. Just because it's a night map doesn't mean that the map should very dark. The correct way to do a night map is to use bluish lighting and not make the map very dark at all:

nelsonbay.jpg

As for the original suggestion, I'd love to see usable mortars in RO2 that can fire HE, WP, flares etc. Would make it easier for the RS team to add mortars to RS, too.

Upvote 0