• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will be there 2 anti cheats???

I have to agree here. I bought COD5 from Best Buy, and when i try to play with the Steam overlay, i always get kicked or ban for a few mins because Punkbuster thinks that i might be using a cheating program. And i remember browsing in the Steam and Punkbuster forums to find out that there is no plan in fixing this problem. :(

You've to update it manually, doesn't require any special intelligence..
PB is good at what its doing, a mainstream police job with a few flaws.

Upvote 0
I have to agree here. I bought COD5 from Best Buy, and when i try to play with the Steam overlay, i always get kicked or ban for a few mins because Punkbuster thinks that i might be using a cheating program. And i remember browsing in the Steam and Punkbuster forums to find out that there is no plan in fixing this problem. :(

I have had been having trouble with Punkbuster since Battlefield 2! It kicked me out of the game because PB did not update itself. so i had to update manually the b*tch every time... The problem came back with Bad Company 2! And i already had a new computer by that time! PB is old and outdated, VAC maybe does not catch every cheater/hacker, but it does not prevents you from playing the actual game!

Upvote 0
MW2 is the most recent and fresh example that admins are indeed the most effective method against cheaters. No they wont be on 24/7 and no they can't see everything , and yes some of them abuse their power.

But it's what keeps the gaming clean, VAC & PB does it's mainstream
job but that's about it, they catch the common cheats for the most part.

In Clan gaming it's not even a problem really as you've demos, screenshots and other stuff, preventing cheating is rather easy , and whoever is caught will be excluded from say ESL,CB etc and on LAN events he'll be thrown out with his head first.

Euhm in case you haven't noticed ESL, CLanbase, TWL. All force the players to actually use a secondary anti cheat system like Aequitas, X-Ray and DMW. Exactly because without it you are severely handicapped by a lack of info when judging a player. MW2 isn't a good example of anti cheat. So yes server admins become the main method of keeping cheaters out. But as said above the judgement depends heavily on personal experience, that quite often can be biased.

I'm a bad player yet I've been banned from servers for "cheating" in RO multiple times. Just because I made some good shots. Judgement of server administrators on the fly is generally not that good. And often server admins arent 24/7 available.

Unless you've been active to prevent cheating and catching cheaters, please do not say it's easy. As things are not as easy as you think they are especially in the competitive scene.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Skilled admins are without doubt the best method for dealing with cheats.

What ever program is used someone eventaully finds a way past it, good admins are the best way.

And if we get demo's etc, and good admin mod stuff for game that and admins checking should keep cheating down - you'll never stop it all together,

And as Zet said just cause someone a better shot doesn't make them a cheat, thats were good admins stand out

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Euhm in case you haven't noticed ESL, CLanbase, TWL. All force the players to actually use a secondary anti cheat system like Aequitas, X-Ray and DMW. Exactly because without it you are severely handicapped by a lack of info when judging a player. MW2 isn't a good example of anti cheat. So yes server admins become the main method of keeping cheaters out. But as said above the judgement depends heavily on personal experience, that quite often can be biased.

I'm a bad player yet I've been banned from servers for "cheating" in RO multiple times. Just because I made some good shots. Judgement of server administrators on the fly is generally not that good. And often server admins arent 24/7 available.

Unless you've been active to prevent cheating and catching cheaters, please do not say it's easy. As things are not as easy as you think they are especially in the competitive scene.

I've been active enough and played enough clan gaming since cs 1.6 to know a cheater when i see one. I don't claim to be perfect, for my own part i only kick/ban people that i know are cheating and/or destroying the gameplay, if i can't tell then leave it be.

Yes common leagues forces extra anti cheat. I've come across at most 30-40 cheaters maybe in clan games during my gaming life, and several hundreds if not thousands in public games..

It's just so different and people know they've eyes on themselves, and demos, screens are usually more than enough even if leagues choose to be extra cautions with server streaming etc.

By the way..

MW2 is a perfect example, it shows exactly how vital the mod ability , admin ability and dedicated servers are to the general wealth of a PC game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The thing is that there is not that clear of a line between cheaters and not cheaters. Some good players are often far better than a bad player with cheats.

You can see clearly if someone is cheating when he is looking and tracking through a wall, or locking on to targets. But only the most stupid cheaters do things like that (luckily on public servers the majority that cheat are stupid enough).

Secondary anti cheat systems like X-Ray, are nothing more than system that collect loads of information. That server Admins and league Admins can then use to investigate. Server streaming is not really more cautious than demos btw, demos show more info than any spectating could ever show. Especially if you do not know who to spectate in a match.

The thing with MW2 is that its not only that its bad because there are no ways for communities to manage the servers, so people don't even have to hide that they are cheating. But its that the vac implementation is not closed off, so there are loads of changes that can be made without vac being triggered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0