• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need new mic...

NoxNoctum

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
I have fancy $250 headphones so I dont wanna buy a headset (because I don't want to listen through the inferior headphones they will invariably come with)... so I need some sort of clip-on microphone that I can clip on to the side of my earmuff headphones and pull out towards my mouth... does such a thing exist?

Up till now I'd just been buying cheapo headsets and wrapping them upside down... but the sound quality (of the mic) is way worse---people often say they can't hear me clearly--- because it's not meant to be used that way and it's just really........ awkward.

And ya I already posted this thread a few months ago but I just wanted some more input.

I can't suggest any brands, but below is the kind of mic you should look for:

Microphone%20with%20Stand%20Genius%20Mic-01A.jpg

A stand-up PC mic.

Upvote 0
Well I fly in a competitive IL-2 squadron where comms are critical (as well as an RO clan)... won't that pick up a lot of excess noise or will I have to shove it right in front of my face? Cause my joystick has to be right in front of my face :D

You can get mics that only pick up sound from a certain direction and ignores background "spillage". :)

If I were you, I'd look for one of those.

If you can't find any, I'll have to ask someone for specifics.

Upvote 0
Since you didn't mind dropping $250 on your headphones, I'll tell you what what I'm using:
1x Shure SM-58
1x ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp

Probably run you around $150 or less with the cables if you shop around.

The ART amp will let you cable the XLR from the mic into the amp, then you can take a 1/4in out of the amp and jack a 1/8th into your PC if you need. Set the Shure on a small desk-top mic stand and you're gold.

The added benefit of having this kit is it's good enough I can do voice work with it. Although I move my mic setup to some place acoustically superior then my computer desk.

Last edited:
Upvote 0