• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Character Customisation (YES/NO) - The Definitive Thread

Character Customisation (YES/NO) - The Definitive Thread

• Total voters
They should have moderate customization like in Mount and Blade Warband, where you can customize the face within the limits of the ethnicity.

I think the condition of the uniform should depend on what battle its in, if its long into the battle of Stalingrad then they should look dirty and improvised, if its battle where a unit was fresh they would look sqaured away.

Upvote 0
Here is a picture from a modification of Unreal tournament 3 which utilised the Unreal Engine. This image indicates character customisation is completely feasable and could definately work for RO2.

select1.jpg

Reactions: Polshevik
Upvote 0
I feel that whatever variations in soldiers there are should be random and not the player's choosing. As a soldier you are given what you are given, not what you want.

That's not the point...

Character customization allows you, the PLAYER to choose what you want your AVATAR to look like. It is not simulating the AVATAR choosing what the AVATAR wants to look like.

In the same way the player chooses what location he wants to deploy his avatar, what class he wants his avatar to be, etc.

Upvote 0
That's not the point...

Character customization allows you, the PLAYER to choose what you want your AVATAR to look like. It is not simulating the AVATAR choosing what the AVATAR wants to look like.

In the same way the player chooses what location he wants to deploy his avatar, what class he wants his avatar to be, etc.

I believe part of the point is that each time you respawn that means your previous avatar is dead. Therefore choosing specifically what your chracter looks like will result in somewhat of a clone assault. I really liked RO's random avatar generation. It seemed like everyone was just a new random soldier coming at you.

I'm worried that eventually everyone will look like THE ULTIMATE BADASS or whatever becomes popular.

Also how will this character customization work with later mods that come up with new uniforms and/or accessories?

Upvote 0
I'm worried that eventually everyone will look like THE ULTIMATE BADASS or whatever becomes popular

Good point however do not forget the people out there, like me, who would go all out to look as plain and common as I could possibly make my character look. However given the opertunity in real life im sure alot of soldiers tried to make themselves look as unique as possible, especially when coming across rare enemy equiptment and such.

In my opinion a properly implemented Character Customisation option is the only decent way to replicate the randomness of the Wehrmacht and Red Army uniforms which formalised during the Battle of Stalingrad. For example in-the-field battle dress alterations, disgarding unneeded equiptment, replacing own equiptment with superior enemy equiptment, losing equiptment/ damaging uniform e.t.c are all areas that affected the aesthetics of the common soldier during the battle, naturally some would have the best of the best and look "Bad ***" but then there would be those who get the bottom of the barrel stuff aka the common "grunt". Personally I really want to see this level of randomness , however having only 3-4 pre-rendered model variations as is the case now just wouldnt really cut it in my eyes.

Sturm

Upvote 0
I hear a lot of complaining about the game becoming to ARCADY.. and what can be more so than avatar customization?

I'm quite surprised that so many people here are in favor of this.. Wouldn't you agree that each time you respawn you represent a new soldier? This is something that really would ruin immersion for me seeing the same soldier being magically resurected over and over..

I could see that you in some broader way could influence your soldiers appearance, or as simple as heroes having a chance to get the rarer stuff, but as a whole the avatar should be randomly generated.

Had to register to express how silly this is compared to the Mkb. in stalingrad discussion (which I couldn't care less about).. please don't hate me :IS2:

Reactions: Hans Ludwig
Upvote 0
Face customisation is the only character customisation I'd want, otherwise it may's well be called "World of Stalingrad"

if that's all you want to customize, don't even bother. who goes around looking at faces?

to me, it's important to include zeltbahns and grass on helmet. i don't care if you are allowed to choose. maybe it can be class dependent.

Upvote 0
Well I think being able to customize your own character's look goes a long way towards making the player feel like he is his own "soldier" in Stalingrad. It also adds some personality to otherwise sterile MP games.

We're talking subtleties here, people.

Damn right!

Character Customization is indeed something to identify yourself with the avatar.
Being a new soldier on every respawn, well not exactly as you have not changed your brain, you know about the fighting situation in a certain sector of the map, you're actually still the same soldier.

Attack of the Clones? Please take a look at Call of Duty and its random player generation, they still look all the same. I know the purpose of a uniform is to look united but there's always small differences like slight variation of color or different gear carried.

Everyone looking badass? Well I'm not one of those who wants to be recognized as General Amsel or Sgt. Reznov. I'd try to "build" an avatar which is very similar to those men on photos. Now one could say, why then have character customization at all? It's because it's my own work and only a very small percentage will exactly look like my character.

About faces, faces will and have to repeat as both armies had hundred thousands soldiers in the city. TWI can not rebuilt all those faces if the heads really should be fully 3d modeled. If faces are merely textures with 3d look then it might be possible to add a beard, mustache, scratches to it.

Like hockeywarrior said it's about personality.

Reactions: Ragnarök
Upvote 0
Who cares? It's just a bunch of skins. If you're vehemently for or against, you probably should calm down.

It doesn't affect the gamplay, nor the player in any meaningful way. I guess it'd be kind of nice to see different looking players, but if the developers don't want to or feel it's too much effort, I wouldn't shed any tears.

Upvote 0