• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Japanese Anti Tank Weapons

Redit

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Airstrip 1
I was wondering if you will implement suicide lunge grenades for the Japanese for use against tanks and large groups of infantry.

"In the final two years of World War Two, the Japanese developed a crude hand-thrown HEAT antitank grenade, and a suicide-weapon HEAT-warhead anti-tank grenade, the lunge mine, that was not launched or thrown, but rammed into the target like a bayonet."

As well as the HEAT grenade mentioned above, the Type 3. The Japanese also used large improvised bombs made with teapots and other salvaged material.

fig1_japanese_lunge_mine_antitank.jpg
t3at1jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Any legitimate weapon is on the table, what makes the final cut is another story as there is a lot of model, code, and animation work to go with each option. The fact that the Japanese had a variety of these sort of weapons makes it a unique perspective as well, most often costing the soldier his life to use his weapon. Stay tuned in the coming months for more details on what is 'in' or 'out'. Thanks for the suggestion!

Upvote 0
The difference in philosophy between the two armies with weapons like these could really make for an interesting game. The two sides won't be mirror images of each other, but instead will have to act very differently to win. Of course, making it balanced is the whole trick.

I just wonder if the Japanese officer's swords will go chop chop chop.

Upvote 0
i have no idea what this addon has planned, and had a quick look at the website but that didn't reveal any definate armour plans - are they confirmed for RS? This thread seems to take their inclusion as a given.
Is this down to some info or wishful thinking?

I'm not trying (or encouraging others) to force an answer just wondering how ppl would feel about the necessity of tanks in rs.

Upvote 0
would you really die if you actually stabbed the tank with the at spear? I mean it is a shaped charge right? So isnt the blast mostly directed to the tank?

You could try it yourself and let someone else record it. I love these Youtube movies with all these Darwin award experiments. I don't know if the answer will do you good.

Upvote 0
I don't think they could do a game set in the Pacific without Shermans. It wouldn't be right... but yes, it is a kamikaze anti tank weapon, much like land mines strapped to your chest or charging at tanks with explosive charges. It was not originally designed to kill the user, but more often that not the explosion did kill him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I would think that being <1m from an explosion big enough to blow a hole in a tank would hurt.

It could just knock out the engine or track. Think about panzerfaust. If the blast didn't hit ammo or fuel, it only killed the crew leaving only small hole into tank. But when the blast hits fuell or ammo, about 6000 MG-bullet, ~100 shell and 800 liter of fuel blowing off (<-- might be Tiger's loadout if I remember corretly)

So maybe the AT-weapon wasn't that leathal, but the tank itself was? Dunno, I'm poor a physics.

Upvote 0
I'd also like to see the human mines. Basically a Japanese soldier would fill a bag with explosives to make a makeshift satchel charge, and then hide beside roads or areas where tanks were expected to come through. When the tank was right in front of them they would charge out and dive under the tank, at the same time pulling a cord which set off a timer, so that the explosive went off underneath the tank. They had to do it quickly and it had to be a surprise obviosuly, so that the supporting infantry had no chance to stop the Japanese soldier.

Upvote 0