• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7

The problem here is that you can't upgrade directly from Xp to 7. You have to either remove XP and then install win 7, or upgrade to Vista and then further upgrade to win 7, which I don't think you want to.

And you'll only loose the data if you choose to format your drives, Othervise, should you be cool unless you keep all/most of the data on the same drive, where you have XP installed

Oh and there are alot of benefits. Rather you search it on google than I have to name them all, but I can mention a few.

More handy features, like picking a window and pull to the top/one of the sides of your desktop and they'll expand. I figured most of the features out myself and then learned them at a win 7 course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem here is that you can't upgrade directly from Xp to 7. You have to either remove XP and then install win 7, or upgrade to Vista and then further upgrade to win 7, which I don't think you want to.

And you'll only loose the data if you choose to format your drives, Othervise, should you be cool unless you keep all/most of the data on the same drive, where you have XP installed

Oh and there are alot of benefits. Rather you search it on google than I have to name them all, but I can mention a few.

More handy features, like picking a window and pull to the top/one of the sides of your desktop and they'll expand. I figured most of the features out myself and then learned them at a win 7 course.

So no lost data?

Excellent! :D

Cheers, that helped me a lot. :)

Upvote 0
Dos box handles all/most DOS games and most 98-XP games will work fine on win7 with a little bit of fiddling, just the odd game here and there that refuse to work, but its not really a big issue. Think I've had only two with problems; tiberian sun LAN MP due to no proper IPX support and Soldier of Fortune II being unplayable due to driver issues.

I'd definitely go for win7 over XP any day now. Just saying you may as well keep it and dual boot to win7 since you have XP already installed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i upgraded to windows7 about 4 or 5 months ago and am really glad i did. upgraded my laptop from vista to windows7 which was a piece of cake.....getting the desktop from xp to 7 was a little more of an annoyance but still well worth it.

the problem is that to go from xp to 7 you have to do a clean install, meaning you'd lose EVERYTHING in the process. all you have to do is backup the files you want to keep (documents, pictures, videos, favorites etc...) and then reinstall the programs you want. i would suggest using an external hard drive to store everything, but you could always use cds or a flash drive.......when i did the backup, i got stuck saving everything to a 4gb flash drive, transfering it to my laptop, clearing the flash drive and repeating that process about 20 times, plus moving everything back after the install. so yeah, if you have an external hard drive, it'd really come in handy!

but seriously, upgrading is well worth the time. :)

Upvote 0
Make a dual boot man, I switched to 7 and realized that with my configuration and the games I want to play it is a horrible choice. I can barely count all the show-stoppers I've had with that OS on both hands. Also, no sound card will work properly in games that use DirectSound. You'll be stuck with software sound.

It's funny, but all I use my 7 install for is DX10 games; XP is more or less superior for all my other purposes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I changed a few months back.
Work was busy and I'm not the best at it so I took it into my shop. I actually was having one of my fans looked at, (it was making a wobbling noise), and I says, "You know what, throw Windows 7 in er too!"
He did a clean install and I got to keep the data I wanted. Aside from the few games I can't play, I'm overall happy I got it installed.

Upvote 0