• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pop up bolt shooters?

NoxNoctum

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
Will this still be an issue in ROHOS? It's absolutely unrealistic.

And this is coming from someone who plays bolt 90% of the time and LOVES to pop up from behind a sandbag, sight in some distant MG, crouch down again before he can kill me, then pop back up after a few seconds and have my iron sights on the exact same spot and kill him.

Reactions: LemoN and Witzig
Not sure, that's why this is posted in the ideas forum :)

I mean, realistically, if you crouched back down you wouldn't have your rifle pointed in the exact same direction, you'd probably be backed up against the sandbag holding your gun sideways, either that or crouched behind it looking the same direction but still holding your gun sideways (unless you want to be further out from the sandbag and exposed). Maybe the weapon collision system will fix this? Dunno. I want to hear from the almighty Ramm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The cover system & weapon collision should stop the traditional pop up/safe cover thing that we get in RO.

As the "popup" rifleman will not be able to hold a steady shot at range without the use of cover, and the cover will prevent the popping up from working - I imagine you'll see it a lot less. However, there will always be limitations and a distracted MG will still have problems with a rifleman.

Upvote 0
The cover system & weapon collision should stop the traditional pop up/safe cover thing that we get in RO.

As the "popup" rifleman will not be able to hold a steady shot at range without the use of cover, and the cover will prevent the popping up from working - I imagine you'll see it a lot less. However, there will always be limitations and a distracted MG will still have problems with a rifleman.

This. if you're right up against cover, when you crouch underneath it you'll hold your weapon to your chest, at least that's how it looked in the gameplay video on RO-Station.

Upvote 0
There was a detailed report some one did one the way that you standing/crouching further away from the cover is much more tactical and can still give you same amount of cover. Hugging right up against one side of the sandbags allows you to be flanked as you cannot cover both directions, however, if you stand a feet behind the cover you can effectively cover both directions and still be behind the cover.

Upvote 0
the main thing to stop popup shooting is that when changing stance and back. Like crouched to standing to crouched won't keep you pointing at the exact same spot.

If you get something like a darkest hour suppression jerk when changing stance the issue would be gone.

As rohos will feature free aim in first person, making changing stance move the location of the gun in the free aim area around would probably work against the issue. The same weapon jerk as with changing stance should be there when switching weapon, so you cannot aim with your binoculars and then switch to ptrd or mg and basically hit someone you aimed at with your binoculars.

When slowly changing stance like how it happens in the first person cover system when looking down over a sandbag obviously you shouldn't get a weird movement of where you're looking at.

Upvote 0
I play mg 90% of the time and this has annoyed me forever. I hope the free aim does fix this. The other thing that annoyed me it when you lean you see and shoot out the top of your head. Nothing like being an mg and you have a riflemen leaning well popping back and forth well hiding behind a thin piece of wood that you should be able to shoot through.

The MG looks like it got a lot of attention and a lot of the other features will make it a much more feared and area denial class. I hope the recoil is also a little more realistic as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The MG looks like it got a lot of attention and a lot of the other features will make it a much more feared and area denial class. I hope the recoil is also a little more realistic as well.

Ramm said they overdid the SMG recoil, and underdid the MG recoil.

So you can expect a steadier SMG, and a less steady MG. Of course you'll have bullet penetration which should really help with the MG. Hope you'll be able to aim over IS, to walk your tracers over.

Upvote 0
Ramm said they overdid the SMG recoil, and underdid the MG recoil.

So you can expect a steadier SMG, and a less steady MG. Of course you'll have bullet penetration which should really help with the MG. Hope you'll be able to aim over IS, to walk your tracers over.

I think for the mg42 they overdid the recoil, at least from what I understand the design on the gun and the way it was held reduced recoil to a bare minimum. Noone uses the '42 over the '34 is RO so I hope it's made more deadly.

Upvote 0
The key about the MG34 and MG42 while it got a lot of recoil it doesn't have any moment arm. This means that the recoil doesn't move the barrel up or down but pushes the shooter backwards.

So while the recoil might have been too low in ROHOS it having a vertical force vector makes its behaviour unrealistic.

The question is how can you emulate recoil without a horizontal or vertical force vector.

Upvote 0
Actually the recoil of the MG42 makes the shots go lower than were you aim... The thing with the MG is that its recoildriven so you have to lean hard into the gun in order to not get jams... Because of you leaning so hard into gun you will push the bipod down and forward between the shots, which causes them to go lower than your aim... I know it souns weird, but I know because im an MG3 gunner in real life =)

Upvote 0