• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Any plans to make some sort of RTS mod for HoS? I mean, you can already command the AI to take cover and move from point A to point B and from what I've seen they've done it very well.

My idea is to have a 32 v 32 bot match and have up to 8 real players commanding at once, 4 v 4. Each player will get a certain role I.E Sniper role can get a sniper and 1 infantry squad to command, MG role gets a MG and 1 or 2 infantry squads, and Infantry role gets elite Infantry and such. The game types would be the same to, and everything would be the same except its a RTS with 8 players.

I'm not to sure about 'doctrines' and all that fancy stuff so suggestions would be nice.

Discuss.

If you want an RTS like this, you should go buy "Men of War", that actually looks like the RTS version of RO... With tanks and so on, and it's about 10 times more realistic than that crap of Company of Heroes...
RO HoS is an FPS with a huge potential, and i think that the last thing Tripware would do is spend a lot of resources and time for make that kind of hybrid...

Reactions: Stormer and worluk
Upvote 0
If you want an RTS like this, you should go buy "Men of War", that actually looks like the RTS version of RO... With tanks and so on, and it's about 10 times more realistic than that crap of Company of Heroes...
RO HoS is an FPS with a huge potential, and i think that the last thing Tripware would do is spend a lot of resources and time for make that kind of hybrid...

You are aware that this is the do-it-yourself corner of the forums, no one said anything about TWI doing it.

To topic: Quite a nice idea imo :)

Reactions: Extension7
Upvote 0

Yeah, I was just giving people some ideas what to do, not specifically TW.

or a squad playing 1st person verses a team of bots controlled by someone rts style, like that steampunk source mod that went retail then seemed to die.

There is a mod like that called "over watch" still in beta though and that would be neat have a squad of 6 or 8 with certain amount of lives versus one person commanding bots to attack them over head ^^

I wouldn't be opposed to such a project :)

Awesome :)

Upvote 0
My idea is to have a 32 v 32 bot match and have up to 8 real players commanding at once, 4 v 4. Each player will get a certain role I.E Sniper role can get a sniper and 1 infantry squad to command, MG role gets a MG and 1 or 2 infantry squads, and Infantry role gets elite Infantry and such. The game types would be the same to, and everything would be the same except its a RTS with 8 players.

I support where you're going with this.. and actually have suggested a similar idea (in private) to several people before.

My idea is basically the same, but each player only controls one squad.. squads dished out based on a similar RO-style role mechanic. And each player basically just uses RTS style control over their own squad. ('Squad' might also be a vehicle, MG team, some other fire-support team, or something similar...). the individual 'soldiers' in each players squad would have to have some limited AI (even if it's just at the Company-of-Heroes level.. they semi-intelligently take cover around objects, etc).

The reason was it's rare a wargame 'feels' like a wargame anymore.. mostly due to number of units on the field.. wars weren't fought with nice 16v16 groups. But 16 squads vs 16 squads seems more reasonable.. now you're talking 100+ 'men' per side.

Actually I got the idea from how 'Myth:The Fallen Lords' used to enable a 'team leader' to dish out individual units to other team mates when playing online.. usually resulting in one player controlling a squad of ghouls or something.

I haven't played much 'Men of War', it seems more like the traditional micro-manage-each-figure style RTS.. and that, imo, wouldn't make fun large-scale bouts of many people since I'd personally get bogged down on the UI.

Upvote 0
There is a mod like that called "over watch" still in beta though and that would be neat have a squad of 6 or 8 with certain amount of lives versus one person commanding bots to attack them over head ^^

i looked it up and what i ment was iron grip- the oppression - an old mod that i think went retail or merged into another iron grip game.
What you showed looked like a HL2 universe version of that - that made me think of zombie master too.

Upvote 0