• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Heroes system to unlock tanks as it does with weapons

C_Gibby

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Pretty much what the title says ^

I think it'd be cool to have an "elite" tank crew that can use a more specialized tank the same way an elite infantryman can have a specialized weapon.

Imagine regular players only being able to take a T-34 as they start out, and when they become top-level hardcore veterans, they can get a choice of the IS-2. :IS2:

Before you reply, I am aware of the fact that only two tanks are shipped with the game on release and I'm not a veteran ROplayer so I'm not able to think so much about balance.

Well anyway, discuss! :)

the huge workload required to implement a tank (hense plans to ship with just 2 for now) makes them too special to be unlocks (sounds like a contradiction but i mean that for the effort you want max use of them)
Not to mention it would be unfair

HOWEVER..
i rememeber posting at least 3 years ago (and i doubt i was the only one)saying it would be nice to have adornements to tanks based on experience.

One idea i wanted to see was overlain texture of kill bands on the barrels of german tanks as they racked up kills in thier lifetime - and the appropriate symbols on russ armour too.
Another idea was for example foliage on the tanks - you can have attachments in RO so i presume this kinda thing is do-able in HoS if desired.
Just cosmetic stuff - the only kind of leveling i personally care for - would be nice to see.

Upvote 0
There could be
gameplay changing things like
- Schuerzen for the Pz4
- An anti air mg for the tank
- 1 or 2 APCR rounds for the main gun
visuals
- nice clean factory fresh paintjob (veterans are also supplied with clean and nice weapons)
- camouflage
- visual indicator of the clan on the side of the tank

I was thinking along these lines as well.

It'd definitely be something for the devs to think about when they get to working on the remaining vehicles.

Upvote 0
No IS-2 in HoS because it refers specifically to the Battle of Stalingrad. There was no IS-2 til 1944.

But anyway, atrocious idea. Just awful. You're literally suggesting that the players who've been playing longer get tanks that are superior in firepower and armor?

First off, the IS2 thing was either a joke, or an example.

Secondly, we never said that the extra rounds would make a HUGE difference, it all depends on the team coordinating the tank anyways.

All I'm suggesting is that heroes get more cannon ammo and have a pintel MG to watch the flank

All C_Gibby is suggesting is that tanks have some sort of extra stuff for heroes just like heroes get MKB42 and stuff.

Upvote 0
Extra stuff for heroes is fine, as long as it doesn't give them a clear advantage over non-heroes. E.g., giving a hero a G43 while everyone else gets a K98 is clearly unfair. Cosmetic changes are fine. The revealed hero weapons seem like they would be well balanced against the existing weapons. The Mkb 42 probably isn't as accurate as a rifle, and probably isn't as well suited for CQB as a submachinegun.

The suggestions made by UsF are great. They are only minor changes and/or are tradeoffs. Shurzen provide you with extra armour at the expense of limiting your visibility/covering up gun ports (if they are even functional). Anti-air MG wouldn't be unfair; infantry can already shoot down planes anyway. 1-2 APCR rounds, even if more powerful then conventional rounds, wouldn't be unfair; their use is limited, and since a gunner has to constantly juggle between HE and AP, he might end up wasting that APCR to load an HE shell instead. Camoflauge wouldn't be unfair; players already have a natural advantage/disadvantage in blending in with the environment based on their uniforms and what the ambient colour of the map happens to be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the pintle-mounted MG is bad suggestion.

They usually sit on top of the loader's hatch, and weren't very prevalent at all in the tanks relevant to the game (T34/Pz IV). Furthermore, how would it work? One of the suggestions were to switch the hullgunner for a pintlemounted MG. But how would that work if the MG sits on the loader's hatch?
Nah, purely cosmetical additions would do just fine. I fear that panzerschurzen would be an involountary disadvantage to veteran players who prefer visibility to armor - I know I would.

Upvote 0
Personally i like the idea with additonal Decals for higher ranked players. Considering you spawn with your Tank anyway, one could in theory add options in the selection menu to customize your Tank with Decals (Kill Markers, small paintings and so on. Or a bit of extra camouflage pieces of brushes to break up the Tank silhouette).

Upvote 0
Pretty much what the title says ^
Imagine regular players only being able to take a T-34 as they start out, and when they become top-level hardcore veterans, they can get a choice of the IS-2. :IS2:
Considering that in game the all the tanks will function the same way for gameplay purposes, then why should someone else have to be left out of a good tank just because they haven't played as much or as not as good as some other guy? And besides that, I don't really think there will be enough tanks in HoS to support that kind of thing for tanks.

Upvote 0