• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

I'm not looking to have a valuable gun, it's not going to be worth anything TO ME if I keep it as is, a piece of the wood isn't even original and another is all warped to hell, I'm going to keep this rifle for a long time and I want it to look good enough to be on display. And for re-doing the stock, they didn't stain them, it was just sanded down wood that had multiple layers of linseed oil applied to it, which is why there's a variation in color from rifle to rifle.

You CAN make it look good without damaging the value of it.

Hit google and find some Enfield-specific forums. Actually, check out gunboards.com - there's a lot of experts there that can talk you through how to do a restoration in a way that won't damage the value.

You'll wnd up with a more authentic weapon, and one that's more valuable, too.

Upvote 0
There's a variety of way to fix the woodwork without losing authenticity, do some googling. What I would think you'd need to do is scrub out the current finish and steam out the dents/scratches and then re-finish it. Finishing the rifle is dead simple, all you use is boiled linseed oil, that's what the original finish was and if you do it correctly you'll end up with a very nice looking rifle.

Don't sand unless you absolutely have to, I had to on my SMLE when I repaired the stock as whoever owned it before me had sealed it with some sort of synthetic lacquer that wouldn't just scrub out. I used very fine grit sandpaper and took only as much off as I needed to before refinishing. However in my case technically I can say I was bringing the finish back to what it originally was in the first place.

To me the metal in that picture doesn't look too bad, I wouldn't do anything to it unless it was seriously missing 90% of the original finish and even then I'd try to do it the original way.

Check this site out it has some great information on restoration techniques http://www.enfieldrifles.ca/main.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm pretty certain I will have to do some sanding, there are about 20-30 small chips all in the same area on the left side of the barrel, and there is a very deep dent on the left side just in front of the trigger, other than that, all i need to do is re-oil the stock and re-finish the brass on the buttplate. and unless the steel was a very dull iron color all around with slightly shiny steel looking parts then it will most likely need to be re-blued. Like I said, I could care less about the value of the rifle, I only paid $225 for it, and in pristine condition it's only worth what? $500 maybe?

Upvote 0
I'm pretty certain I will have to do some sanding, there are about 20-30 small chips all in the same area on the left side of the barrel, and there is a very deep dent on the left side just in front of the trigger, other than that, all i need to do is re-oil the stock and re-finish the brass on the buttplate. and unless the steel was a very dull iron color all around with slightly shiny steel looking parts then it will most likely need to be re-blued. Like I said, I could care less about the value of the rifle, I only paid $225 for it, and in pristine condition it's only worth what? $500 maybe?

Try steam before you try sandpaper. Seriously. You've got a good chance of actually fixing even chips and big dents.

Upvote 0
Depends on what "good" is. Pictures will help.

Look for rebuild marks, matching S/Ns (of course), electro-pencilled S/Ns from arsenal rebuilds, the condition of the stock, the barrel should look pretty good since by 1952 they were chrome lined, check the muzzle wear...

To educate yourself some I'd recommend checking these two places:
http://sksboards.com/
http://www.yooperj.com/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Steele, since you know a lot about Mosins, maybe you know a bit about Russian SKS?

Thinking of getting one, all matching, Tula 1952, good condition. Price is $525 total.

Is this a fair price?

Anything to look for?

Will get the seller to get me some pics.

I know ****-all about SKS, sorry. Except that I want one. :D

Upvote 0
Might save up and get an M1 or something, I think we here in Britain are limited to deactivated guns, I'll have to check what exactly pertains a gun to 'vintage' status.

I know this is an old post, but I gotta say, in UK we can have a lot of rifles.

I have fired:

• M16
  • A couple of lever-action rifles
  • Heavily modified british-legal revolver (I think it was .357 magnum)
  • AK-47 and a "tacticool" variant
  • Lee-Enfield Rifle(Various WW1 and WW2 versions)
  • Various hunting rifles, bolt-action and semi-automatic
  • many, many, many shotguns of all sorts. Pump-actions, semi-automatics, bolt actions (they exist) and double-barrels of all shapes and sizes.
A liscense is a bit tricky to come by. A shotgun liscense is the easy one, though. If you want to aqcuire one, it's best that you own some land, i.e. live in the countryside. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my country a simple 91/30 would cost more than US$1000(90% of the price is basically taxes), plus a couple of licenses of more than a thousand dollars(taxes again, yay) each, the fantastic bureaucracy of months to acquire a single license and the incredible rarity of shooting ranges. Here I can only have or shoot a gun without trouble if I'm a cop, a soldier or a criminal. I don't plan of being neither of them, so guns for me only in videogames :(

Upvote 0
Jesus. I went to a gun store this morning just basically to look and lust.

That didn't exactly work out the way that I'd planned.

I found a Finnish SA-marked Mosin 91/30 there. Tula 1937, blued bolt, Finnish stock. Top of rear sights in the white, bolt had been blued. Typical Finn trigger job, breaks like a piece of glass. Front stacked blade sights. (M91 sight blade with a spacer on top of 91/30 sight base). And ... at $159, it was cheaper than even what Big 5 wants for a POS 1943 Izzy 91/30. :D

Can't really afford it, but ... I put it on layaway anyway. I'll get pictures when I get it. :D

Upvote 0
Hey guys, am currently traveling around Europe and have been doing my best to see some guns and museums and all that fun stuff that Europe has.

Have seen some lovely guns that i didn't think i'd get to see so i thought i'd share.

I've got plenty of pictures of tanks and stuff but given the forum i thought i'd just post the gun pics

Awesomely in the Artillery museum of Saint Petersberg they had a Gewehr 41 Walther and Mauser, and a Maschine Karabiner 42 (H), i was drooling as you can imagine.

Funnily enough all of these guns were in working condition as there was an armed guard in the room with them, the internals are also well greased with cosomoline to keep them rust free.

Oh and also a special treat, the very first AK47, Avtomat Kalishnikov Serial Number #1

I'm sure between you guys you can identify the lot of these!

dsc03804a.jpg

dsc03795ny.jpg

dsc03837kd.jpg

dsc03829z.jpg

dsc03743tl.jpg

dsc03821r.jpg

dsc03853ub.jpg

dsc03800r.jpg

And i coulden't resist the urge to ignore the 'dont climb on tank' signs and play at a Tank Descent man.
dsc03210g.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralfst3r
Upvote 0