• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Yet another imbalance in the perks...

In my usual crew I'm 1st or 2nd on the scoreboard. Not in a "hey I'm better than you" way but rather a "it's my job" way. Our SS is usually near the bottom (because he's using the "right" weapon). Really I guess we all just do the thing our perk is naturally supposed to. When that happens I get tight on ammo.
If you're honestly running low on ammo with the perk that gets one of the largest quantities of ammo in the game you're doing something completely wrong. In this case, it's pulling too much weight that others should be helping with. Commando's job is to kill a lot of trash, but not -ALL- of it. A sharp with a handcannon/dualies and xbow should still pull a decent amount of weight with trash, for example.

Upvote 0
If you're honestly running low on ammo with the perk that gets one of the largest quantities of ammo in the game you're doing something completely wrong. In this case, it's pulling too much weight that others should be helping with. Commando's job is to kill a lot of trash, but not -ALL- of it. A sharp with a handcannon/dualies and xbow should still pull a decent amount of weight with trash, for example.

woulda coulda shoulda oughta.

Doesn't matter what others *should* be doing. If they aren't pulling their weight I can't exactly use "well I just wont kill this one" as a means of encouragement. Maybe on hard, but on suicide it'll wipe us all.

Look I get it. You guys aren't seeing the ammo issue I am. I'm not going to throw the same (lame-assed) "learn to play" or "you're doing it wrong" argument back in your face.

But understand this: I am not missing my shots. So now what?

Upvote 0
The sharpie takes the commando's job with his M14, and does it much better. And that shouldn't be like that at all.

cha-ching. and that's because?????????? the M14EBR (base stats) = SCAR. the SS perk bonuses are much nicer than the commando perk bonuses, higher damage, faster reload, less recoil, oh and headshot bonus, which means the EBR currently is more effective at spamming than the commando's weapons AND waaaaaay more effective at dispatching "priority targets" (although that actually is the SS job).

so, to answer the "poll" i believe the commando is fine. the bonuses are balanced, and the weapons overall are quite balanced. the one thing i might say is that a slight ammo cap reduction would be good so that the AK/bullpup get more love once SCAR ammo is all gone.

oh, and to stop the SS from doing the commando's job so well??? i've already argued my solution for that how many times? well time to once again throw it out there: TAKE AWAY THE GUN (EBR) THAT LET'S THE SS DO THAT JOB SO WELL..................and give it to the guy who is already designed to do that job ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You shouldn't even be trying to kill a fleshpound on hard difficulty with commando solo, the SCAR actually gives you a pretty good chance of solo'ing a fleshpound, it shouldn't.

3 mags? is that it? wow. You will still have more than enough to finish the wave.

If the damage is kept the same but mags are reduced, then you'll cripple yourself for the rest of the wave if you solo a fleshpound, that seems like a fair trade off to me.

I do understand the fact commando shouldn't attempt to solo FP on hard mode and should let the sharpshooter do the job. But you suggested reducing mag size of commando which will cripple the weapon to lack ammo for surviving longer waves. Commando's duty is to clear the the weak specimens and let the big ones for sharpshooter and demolition. If by chances the squad enrage the FP it will be commando job to help support by firing a full mag onto FP. I'm sure 14 mag is just nice for the hard and suicidal wave but probably that's just my own opinion. Also for the upcoming nerf of sharpshooter which would probably cripple the crossbow from being a 1 shot 1 kill weapon, that alone should allow commando to carry enough ammo to support the squad.

Upvote 0
Commando isn't meant to kill the big ones, just be the best at taking out the small fry. Which he almost certainly is.
Sometimes also to finish off big fry that's on its last legs but in a very convenient place for it to kill someone else who's running away.

Given how it plays, I'm not surprised many people consider it to be the most balanced - it seems to me to lend itself better than any other perk to classic run-and-gun FPS play. (Would be nice to have a speed bonus though - have that and a weaker SCAR, and things get a lot more Quake-like.) When I first started playing KF, right off the bat I assumed that commando was the "basic" class against which everything else was to be balanced.

Not trolling.
From the guy who said that medics who do anything but heal should be banned.

Upvote 0
The commando is my most played perk, and as stated several times before, there are no imbalances with this perk.

Before read this, note that iam a veteran player and the last time that i've played a difficulty lower than suicidal we were still in 2009.

-The bullpup is just pointless on that difficulty, weak as mp7 and can't heal, the knife is much more reliable to kill clots.
-The AK can help sometimes when you have no time to reload the scar, as back weapon you can't go wrong.
-The Scar is very weak compared to other t3 weapons, but does his job as intended, killling all non-big zeds easily, which can be faster than a ss with m14 right next to you when you have a good aim skill.
Of course need 1 clean headshot + another hit to kill a simple gorefast, but the firing rate of the single shot is fast and the hp bar really help you to be the first to spot enemies in all situations.
I wouldn't even pull a scrake without a katana as backup because the gun is far too weak even on full auto, it's just a waste of ammo.

So you can remove 3-4-5 mags from the scar, this wouldn't change anything to me, single shot mode and aiming for the head all the way.
And sometimes quick switch to full auto to kill siren/husk at close range or to finish scrake/fp.

No need to up the commando damages in any way, TWI should start balancing the right perks first:
-SS: reduce headshot damage bonus and max ammo from m14 and xbow.
-Support: really need more max ammo since a long time, I rarely play my favorite perk because is too much annoying to buy 1-2 extra shotguns everytime.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So play with people that pull their own weight.

Well they do. They just don't kill the trash like I do. Me being on top of the scoreboard isn't an indication they aren't pulling their weight. In fact I'm kinda there because they are.

I'll be ducked in front firing at trash while a skrake gets so close he obscures part of my view. I never stop firing or backpedal though, I have no doubts his head will pop off at any second.

Siren comes around? I just gotta gang up with everyone else to drop her quick. I don't usually move to avoid her blast. My health never stays down for more than a few seconds.

Husk? He might wing me once but he'll be dead or tanked by a firebug on the next shot.

It all works but again I don't really play pickup games @ suicidal.

I'm not always the commando either. We've got others (redman comes to mind) that are better trash sweepers than me. Hell I've played zerker around these guys and never seen a crawler get within 10 feet of me...and I suck at zerker.

Upvote 0
Seriously there's not enough ammo for the AA12 shotgun. Pump is maybe ok, but that AA12 is kinda weak, does weaker damage than pump-shotgun and have only 5-6 mags. Which is not enough, doesn't care that it's Automatic.
Kinda opposite of me, hunting/aa12 are secondary weapons I never run out of ammo on these.
I was especially talking about the pump shotgun ammo.

Anyway back to the thread which is talking about commando :p

Upvote 0
Seriously there's not enough ammo for the AA12 shotgun. Pump is maybe ok, but that AA12 is kinda weak, does weaker damage than pump-shotgun and have only 5-6 mags. Which is not enough, doesn't care that it's Automatic.
Consider using it like a pump on semi auto.
You have now twice the ammunition of a pump, a tad weaker shots but also less spread.

Reactions: Vaecrius
Upvote 0
Looks like someone doesn't use it as a level 6.

I'll agree with him a bit. You can still slice heads on clots/gore/crawls with the bullpup on sucide but yeah it's just not a viable weapon on anything higher. That's not to say you can't kill stuff like screamers/husks with it but it takes *just* a tad too long. While you're occupied the rest of the crowd will used that increased suicide walking speed to close the gap too much.

The gun works but you just kind of slowly fall behind the crowd control curve. I'm a big bullpup fan but I'll replace it asap on suicide.

Upvote 0
I'm going to have to agree with Dr. Cox on this one. You're wrong.

The Bullpup works fantastic on Suicidal. Cheap, effective, inexpensive ammo. Works great. Now if you're firing at anything above a bloat (scrake, FP) then of course it isn't going to work. Anything below that, you can easily erase their head with sustained bursts. What's even better is the sight. I can full auto that thing and get nothing but skull, works great.

I do, however, upgrade to AK/SCAR/Pipe as soon as I can afford it, but the bullpup is a great building weapon. At perk level 6, it's maybe 112 pounds? That's incredible for how well it works, and ammo is so cheap you can make dosh easily.

Upvote 0
Looks like someone doesn't use it as a level 6.
I never talked about the perk to be lv6 or whatever, you can start playing suicidal at lv4-5.

Regardless of your commando lv, the Bullpup requires too many shots/headshots & time to kill all common specimens on suicidal.
With all the ammo available on that gun this does not compensate the poor damages. And the difficulty need firepower.

But in the case that you're lv5 and spawning with bullpup, you can try to ignore the ak and go directly for the Scar.

@SIL
Yeah of course works great on the firsts waves, like every weapons.

Cost only

Upvote 0