• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Guesses on "must do" battles/maps

I'm not too clear about the details on the following suggestion yet (it may have been in the "Tennis Racket" railroad loop area), but the Soviets gathered railroad cars together in a desperate measure to block one of the german assaults, and I just thought this sounded like a wild idea for a map (sorta like having a final line of defense before the Volga).

Anyway, just a thought.

Btw, the Railroad Station and the "Nail Factory" were sites of some of the earliest pitched battles, and they could certainly be in.

Upvote 0
Definitely Mamayev Kurgan and Pavlov's House. It would be nice to see Pavlov's house have a neat mechanic, such as: there are, depending on the number of players, only 2 (16), 3 (32), and 4 (64) Russians. However, this is made up for by the Germans having to cross a basically open expanse where artillery fire can very easily be called down and all their tanks are easy targets for the virtually untouchable 57mm ZiS-2 AT pointing up out of the basement. Their light vehicles are all vulnerable to PTRDs, of course. Once they get into the house, it will undoubtedly still be bloody, considering that there will probably be machine guns and Russians with PPSh-41s waiting for them, but nevertheless, if they manage to get inside it's pretty much over for the Russians, unless they somehow hold out against all odds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Definitely Mamayev Kurgan and Pavlov's House. It would be nice to see Pavlov's house have a neat mechanic, such as: there are, depending on the number of players, only 2 (16), 3 (32), and 4 (64) Russians. However, this is made up for by the Germans having to cross a basically open expanse where artillery fire can very easily be called down and all their tanks are easy targets for the virtually untouchable 57mm ZiS-2 AT pointing up out of the basement. Their light vehicles are all vulnerable to PTRDs, of course. Once they get into the house, it will undoubtedly still be bloody, considering that there will probably be machine guns and Russians with PPSh-41s waiting for them, but nevertheless, if they manage to get inside it's pretty much over for the Russians, unless they somehow hold out against all odds.

That wouldn't be very much fun for the German side.

The current version of Pavlov's House for OST is quite well done.

Upvote 0
That wouldn't be very much fun for the German side.

The current version of Pavlov's House for OST is quite well done.

It could be. One would hope that having around 60 Germans on a full 64-player server, along with two or three tanks, would help things. They would have their own artillery, and the house would be fully destructible (it would take a long time to bring it down, however)

Upvote 0
Well based on your description, if the Russians are successfully defending, it means that the Germans are repeatedly dying while trying to cross an open field just to make it into the house = no fun. If the Germans are successfully attacking, the game will end pretty quickly because the Germans will very easily overwhelm the attackers = no fun.

Upvote 0
It could be designed with gameplay in mind, doesn't have to be exactly identical to real life. And it really shouldn't, since the Russians held it for so long like that.

It'd make a neat combined arms map if it was done right.

I wanna see a map based on one of the battles from the movie Cross of Iron, since you know, every Hero's based on Mr. Steiner. Well, the German ones at least.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
tbh, similar to my wishes for roost, i would be happy with a collection of non-descript battles that merely capture the feel of stalingrad and the surrounding area.

I feel better immersed if i am participating in a nameless encounter the result of which wasn't documented, and in turn this tends to engage my imagination more too.

But i understand, particularly with teh whole heroes thing, the need for the landmark battles.....i won't bother running off a list thou.

Upvote 0
For me new Red Orchestra is missing open field maps. So far TWI released some information about Grain elevator, Station, Spartanovka and new Danzig. Maybe except Spartanovka those maps are urbanized, close combat infantry maps. In that reason I'd like to see one of these (alphabetical order):
- Arad
- Krukovo
- Road To Hill cmb
- Smolensk Stalemate

It's my little wishlist :)

Upvote 0
maps for Stalingrad :

maps for Stalingrad :

maps for Stalingrad :

- Kurgan mamayev ( the big symbol of the battle of stalingrad !! )
- volga (in september 42 with boats ) cool map in long range for rifle and mg !
- pavlov house
- silo of south (alredy in RO HOS ) and silo of north of the city
- univermag (1942 and 43 )
- red square ( near the place of univermag )
- tatsinkaia
- goumrak
- map on the german operation after november 42 (hoth assault )
- tractor factory ( germans and russians fitgh during the time the t 34 is preparing little by little in the factory...)
- krasnyi oktyabr
- lazur
- barrikady (annd all the factories of stalingrad)
- a map on the big white buidling of the city (they were famous )
- spartakova
- sewers of stalingrad
- map with wooden houses of stalingrad when germans enter in stalingrad
- map with big stalinians style building
- maps in the style of basovka aslo...for balance with the urban style maps.

In stalingrad : we can do a map in 1942 and found again it in 1943 (look like zhitomir 1941 and zithomir revenge in 1943 in RO ostfront)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If we get another red square map I hope it would me more like the MOD map than fallen heroes. Because fallen heroes only got the square it nearly feels like you're playing in an amphitheatre as some sort of gladiator. By being able to play on other parts with as finale the square and the univer mag would make it a lot nicer.

I truly hope to see maps that for instance do not have the map work well for rifleman and smgs at the same time in the same place. But for instance wide open streets, with close combat within the buildings. So that the rifleman need to help the smg's cross the street, and the smg's need to clear the buildings so the rifleman can get setup again.

What I like about krasnyi is for instance first half is somewhat outdoor fighting and the final part is indoor. I would love to see more diversity like that. Where you have parts around long range open ground outdoor fighting and then indoor parts with loads of cover. The MOD map berlin in my opinion still mixed long range and short range combat the best of all maps. Big open streets and high windows for rifleman. Narrow corridors and ruins for the smgs.

Even with loads of destruction streets should mainly be empty with cover primarily being on the side of a street rather than in the centre of it. I truly hope that there won't be too much cover that there won't be open patches of ground for longer range firing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0
maps for Stalingrad :

- Kurgan mamayev ( the big symbol of the battle of stalingrad !! )
- volga (in september 42 with boats ) cool map in long range for rifle and mg !
- pavlov house
- silo of south (alredy in RO HOS ) and silo of north of the city
- univermag (1942 and 43 )
- red square ( near the place of univermag )
- tatsinkaia
- goumrak
- map on the german operation after november 42 (hoth assault )
- tractor factory ( germans and russians fitgh during the time the t 34 is preparing little by little in the factory...)
- krasnyi oktyabr
- lazur
- barrikady (annd all the factories of stalingrad)
- a map on the big white buidling of the city (they were famous )
- spartakova
- sewers of stalingrad
- map with wooden houses of stalingrad when germans enter in stalingrad
- map with big stalinians style building
- maps in the style of basovka aslo...for balance with the urban style maps.

In stalingrad : we can do a map in 1942 and found again it in 1943 (look like zhitomir 1941 and zithomir revenge in 1943 in RO ostfront)

and sebastopol fortress in 42 !

Upvote 0