• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Defrag?

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
I'm looking for a freeware defragmentation software:

my requisites are:

it must do the job better than the one that comes with windows xp

it must be very light to use and install

it must not leave **** around the PC like registry entries or folders all over the place, processes, pop ups, icons... you know what I mean (a portable program that doesn't require install would be ideal)

:IS2::IS2:

Last edited:
I would use the perfectdisc trial and just uninstall the program after using it.

Perfectdisc is the only defragmentation program i know that can defragment meta data. If your harddisc was ever filled to the brim meta data will be scattered all over the harddisc and will fragment new files added to your computer.

A good defragmentation can seriously increase your fps and loading times in a game like ro.

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with Windows defrag? And where do I see the difference if using something other than windows one?
The defragmentation may be more efficient (fewer still fragmented files, different defragmentation methods), quitting while it runs may be less problematic (JKDefrag, for example always finishes the file it's currently working on), special features like working in the background, during screensavers or from a schedule, etc.
The windows defragmentation program also requires at least 15% free disk space while certain programs can work with less.
And last but not least: speed.

Upvote 0
Well MyDefrag was recommended by a Dev, then by me :D and then by another Dev...Game over !

I just ordered a new HD, problem solved.
I'll keep this one just for nostalgic reasons.

EDIT: I use CC every day and have been doing so since it was recommended to me by yet another Dev ! The Cleaner and the Registry Tools are what have kept me going for nearly four years non stop.

Recommended, but learn to use it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Defraggler and MyDefrag are both good. JKDefrag became MyDefrag, so anyone recommending that is also in the MyDefrag camp. Running the monthly sort, although it will take a long time the first time if your hard drive is fragmented, should speed things up in all programs, because it puts all directory files together as well and will move everything to the front of the drive. As Zets said, it doesn't defrag meta data because those files are always in use, but if you were concerned about that you could do as he says.

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with Windows defrag? And where do I see the difference if using something other than windows one?

it's slower than a snail doing tai-chi

5 minutes of defragging on defraggler equals to 1 hour of defragging on the windows defragger.

also ccleaner is good. though some people complain about it deleting their cookies. cuz apparently some people are too stupid to uncheck a checkbox...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it's slower than a snail doing tai-chi

5 minutes of defragging on defraggler equals to 1 hour of defragging on the windows defragger.

also ccleaner is good. though some people complain about it deleting their cookies. cuz apparently some people are too stupid to uncheck a checkbox...

I've been using Smart Defrag 1.45 on my desktop, but for some reason it doesn't seem to analyze the hard drive on my Win7 machine, so I got Defraggler. I've had the Win7 laptop for not even a month yet, and it was already 12% fragmented. Wife's Vista laptop was even worse ... 35% fragmentation, with only about half of the 250 gig hard drive used. That's going to take many, many hours, even for defraggler.

Upvote 0