• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Starcraft II

All the people complaining about it being just SC1 with a new coat of paint and improved are right. But they're wrong to complain about it.

SC1's gameplay was perfect. The races were perfectly balanced AND played totally different (extremely rare for an RTS).

So they up the graphics, give it a HUGE campaign with a good story (I don't think the addons will be $60), and add in cool units and the different tiers of ground/obstacles and the observatory thingies.

Blizzard have never been about innovating. They've been about perfecting. And this game is perfect, even more so than its predecessor.

If you like RTS games at all you're out of your mind to not buy it.

Upvote 0
Blizzard have never been about innovating. They've been about perfecting. And this game is perfect, even more so than its predecessor.

Well, you are right for the most part but SC1 was kind of innovative back then. I don't think there were any RTS games with such completely different races before it.

But anyway, I bought it. My main reasons not to were supposedly high price tag and campaign length rip off and both seem to be untrue. It was still five

Upvote 0

Yeah. That's fair enough - but "perfecting" an old (already perfect) formula with new graphics does not make it deserve all the praise and hype it's getting.

Upvote 0
But the old StarCraft isn't perfect!
Pathfinding is useless, you can't set flags from buildings so workers automatically start collecting when they're built, you can only select 12 units at a time,... And that's just ingame stuff. Not to mention things like matchmaking, which makes sense in a game as popular as StarCraft with the skill-gaps so wide as in StarCraft.
StarCraft 2 didn't just modernize the graphics, it modernized StarCraft.
Is it something entirely new? No, but if you liked Starcraft you'll probably like Starcraft 2 too once you're over the "this is different, I don't like it - this is the same, I could just play the old one" phase.
It's a bit like Windows 98 vs. Windows XP/Vista/whatever-new-OS-you're-using.

I'm not too big on rts games in general so I'll wait for the campaigns to come out in one affordable pack before I get into this game. Lack of Lan play sounds pretty horrible too.

Upvote 0
Star Craft 2 is nothing but an expansion that took 12 years to make. Shiny graphics and some new units is all it is. No thanks.

Then I'm glad I only played SC1 for 20 minutes a few months ago and after my PC crashed I couldn't be arsed to use the compatiblity wizard to get it to run the game again. :rolleyes:

(I've used it for a lot of things in the past. C: )

I'm now installing the game with the trial key, then if I like it, I will buy it. :D

Reactions: Alexei
Upvote 0