• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bullpup vs AK-47

Bullpup vs AK-47

• Bullpup

Votes: 40 40.0%
  • AK-47

Votes: 60 60.0%

• Total voters
Bullup only do 16-26 dmg, is it really make a difference to get "more head shots"?

Head shot dmg x 1.1, only 17-28 dmg!? Even with the bonus of commando, it seems no big difference here. No matter I use bullup of ak, I only use them for single shot to pop zeds's head which ak will instan-kill them and bullup sometimes dont. If I really have to spam bullets (in case I have to due with husks or sirens) before I can grab the SCAR, Ak do better all the time.

As for the recoil... no difference here, if I use single shot, recoil means nothing to me as I dont use the iron sight. If I use full auto, it is at medim to close range, I can still hit the zed with 90%+ of bullets. At long range, stop holding my mouse every one second makes the ak shoot 2-3 shot everytime and again, recoil isn't anything for me.

Upvote 0
recoil means nothing to me as I dont use the iron sight

Well one of bullpup's big advantage is its reflex sight. It allows you to hit specimens from across the map.

On recoil I would say it does help semi auto planking, particularly at very long range where you need to aim accurately or you'll miss. If you are used to AK's iron sight you can aim just about as accurate as bullpup, but increased recoil after each shot means it takes longer to settle down and reacquire target after each shot compared to bullpup.

Upvote 0
Well one of bullpup's big advantage is its reflex sight. It allows you to hit specimens from across the map.

On recoil I would say it does help semi auto planking, particularly at very long range where you need to aim accurately or you'll miss. If you are used to AK's iron sight you can aim just about as accurate as bullpup, but increased recoil after each shot means it takes longer to settle down and reacquire target after each shot compared to bullpup.

On official map excluding farm, there should be continously flood of zeds up close instead of across the map... even on farm, I only have chance to "snipe" some zeds across the map at the begining of the wave. After that there will be zeds at close to medim range all the time.... so for my playing style, I dont really need that sniping ability. As a result, I vote for ak.

Upvote 0
My vote would go for AK-47 in this case. I have gotten used to the iron sights, and I have no problems getting headshot kills with it. It is very easy to aim once you get the hang of it, and the recoil is not a problem in semi-auto. It is my weapon of choice for weak specimens such as Stalkers, Crawlers and Clots.

Bullpup is very easy to aim, but tends to lack the punch required for higher difficulty levels. It makes a decent backup weapon for the Medic on Normal difficulty, but for Hard and up the Medic should use a shotgun or AK-47.

On normal difficulty setting just a bullpup is enough for a Commando, so I tend to give most of my money for my teammates until I am sure they have at least body armour and a primary weapon. Of course, I spawn with an AK-47 which is more than enough so I don't need to buy a new weapon until wave 5 or something.

This is just my preference though.

Upvote 0
I'll stick with AK now i've thought about it. The whole 'lack of recoil and dot sight' on the Bullpup is pointless, the SCAR has the an even better reflex sight and much (4x?) more damage per shot which rreally just relegates the AK/Bull to a backup weapon where you want power since the accuracy doesn't vary much in hip fire and the clip size doesn't make alot of difference.

Upvote 0
I'll stick with AK now i've thought about it. The whole 'lack of recoil and dot sight' on the Bullpup is pointless, the SCAR has the an even better reflex sight and much (4x?) more damage per shot which rreally just relegates the AK/Bull to a backup weapon where you want power since the accuracy doesn't vary much in hip fire and the clip size doesn't make alot of difference.

Yeah but one could also argue that in reverse though:

"I'll stick with bullpup now I've thought about it. The whole "firepower" on the AK is pointless, the SCAR has even better damage per shot and reflex sight which really just relegates the AK/Bullpup to a backup weapon where you want accuracy since SCAR already have the firepower covered"

Upvote 0
It's not so much of a "AK vs bullpup" question, but the question "what can the AK/bullpup do better than the SCAR" because let's face it, every commando uses the SCAR as their main weapon.

At that point you'll notice that a precise weapon is totally meaningless because the SCAR does that job better anyway since your precise shots actually count due to the damage.
Being recoilless is meaningless too because you only fire in short bursts anyway.
Being able to fire for an extended period of time now gets us somewhere because that's what the SCAR is bad at however the low damage of the bullpup makes bodyshots totally useless while the raised damage of the AK makes it a viable weapon to even spray bodyshots at fleshpounds close up.

And because of the SCAR, that's exactly the place of the commandos backup weapon.
A close range weapon that lets you fire for a long period of time and deals good damage so you can switch to it if something, be it scrake, pound or a group, is in your face and you don't have time to reload the SCAR.
That's not the bullpup, that's the AK.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah but one could also argue that in reverse though:

"I'll stick with bullpup now I've thought about it. The whole "firepower" on the AK is pointless, the SCAR has even better damage per shot and reflex sight which really just relegates the AK/Bullpup to a backup weapon where you want accuracy since SCAR already have the firepower covered"

You could, but wheres the logic? If you want to kill something far away you'd use the SCAR, its easier to aim with than the Bullpup and does significantly more damage per shot and accuracy and ease of use is really the only benefit the Bullpup provides over the AK and its most likely gonna be used in close quarters.

As 9_6 said, the only likely reason to take out your backup is no time to reload in which case you'd need the maximum damage weapon you could get as backup which is the AK. If a Scrake is bearing down on you the Bullpup won't do anything the AK couldn't.

Upvote 0
I would argue that there's never a "no time to reload" with SCAR that requires you to switch to AK. SCAR's reload is slightly under 3 second with no bonus. With Commando 6 that's a reload of less than 2 second. How long does it take to put away an empty SCAR and get the AK out?

So the problem should never be "no time to reload" but rather "out of SCAR ammo", in which case bullpup's long range comes useful because you can wipe it out and let the bullpup do some of the long range work, thereby reduce SCAR ammo usage so you always have some for spraying.

Number wise, for burst DPS:

Bullpup: 210
AK: 367
SCAR: 833

So yes, you could argue that AK have higher DPS and therefore more useful than bullpup in emergency. I'll say the difference between the two and the SCAR is so vast and SCAR's load is so fast that you're better off just reloading the SCAR and get that 833 damage per second burst. And the bullpup is useful in ensuring that you'll alway have SCAR ammo left for that by taking up some of the long range work.

BTW for sustained DPS (ie taking into account reload)
Bullpup: 141
AK: 191
SCAR: 327

Upvote 0
voted for AK.

as a lvl 6 commando spawn with one i stick to it being a higher tier weapon until i can afford the mighty SCAR switched on its full 25round glory and full auto (FP/Scrake forced encounters).

i used to ditch AKs and change to pup during my first stage of lvl 6 because i so gotten used to pup's scope compared to AKs iron sight until i learned to use it to blow anything but scrake n fp to bits.

but if the map is big (think KF=Mountainpass big) the pup's scope and longer clip size has a definite advantage to keep small and fast (stalker, crawlers, gorefasts) zeds at bay.

Upvote 0
I still cant think of a suituation when bullup is better than ak....

My head shot rate is still 70%+ at the biolab spawn point. And I dont really need 100% head shot as I never run out of ammo.... I normally tap my mouse to fire 2-3 shots so that if the first one miss, the second shot and third shot will pop the zeds' head orthe one behind it. If playing with a team, demo/firebug/sharpshooter will take care anything close or far, I just need to focus on stalkers and crawlers which ak can 2-3 body shot them. (well I still cant head shot crawlers most of the time)

If my team dies or I play on solo, there's zeds around me nearly all the time. Still, no use for "sniping". And bullup still do not enough damage.

Upvote 0

While it is a fair point that reload time is minimal its still longer than the increased wield/unwield time (doesn't commando get that? can't rmemeber now) but its still longer than switching and with the SCARs smaller clip (and the tendancy for switching to full from semi to cause the weapon to break) its safer to switch weapon. While it is a fair point that you could just use the Bullpup at range to conserve ammo and use the SCAR for full auto if you get used to the ak you can do the same with that.

but if the map is big (think KF=Mountainpass big) the pup's scope and longer clip size has a definite advantage to keep small and fast (stalker, crawlers, gorefasts) zeds at bay.

Not really, SCAR kills them faster as it only takes 1-2 shots. The thread may be between AK/Bull but tahts becausei ts a backup to the scar.

Upvote 0
I'm an AK person. I understand that the bullpup has lower recoil and a dot sight, but in the long run if I can make the headshot, that's all that matters.

On suicidal, the AK will 1 shot headshot anything weaker than a siren, and for me the time I save over the Bullpup shooting at a single specimen can often mean the difference between a headless group of gorefasts and my own headless character.

Upvote 0