• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor was in OXM

C_Gibby

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
I was reading a back issue of UK's Official Xbox Magazine (Don't ask me why...) and I saw a page on Unreal Engine games. There was the usual Gears Of War and Last Remnant kind of games, and I saw this exact image of Killing Floor (Minus the gamespy logo):

killing-floor-20090429022625411_640w.jpg

There was nothing anywhere that stated that this screenshot is of Killing Floor. The image was captioned with:

"Unreal Engine liscenses are expensive!"
Seeing that KF had a little screenshot in an XBOX magazine, it makes me wonder; Would Killing Floor be successful if digitally distributed on consoles in the future? :confused:

Hmm, I don't know. I think killing floor would be a nice $20 game on live arcade, and with the good amount of official maps by Tripwire, there would be enough gameplay for the players I think.

If people are willing to pay $15 for just a map pack for MW2, $20 for a game like killing floor would be a great buy.

Upvote 0
If people are willing to pay $15 for just a map pack for MW2, $20 for a game like killing floor would be a great buy.

People arent buying the MW2 map pack because they think it's worth it. No they buy it because it's a ****in overhyped game that pops up everywhere.

And because most (console) gamers have no clue that they're ripped off. They're just dumb and have no sense for value whatsoever. Perfect example of excessive advertising definitely paying off, no matter what.

Upvote 0
the porting of KF would probably take a while and loads of money (next to that the license probably doesn't cover the release on an x360 platform). Although I think that KF could work pretty well on xbox live arcade if the hurdles could be overcome.

Although as custom content etc is not really a possibility it would be nice to come with some of the best community maps that weren't made official.

Upvote 0
Although as custom content etc is not really a possibility it would be nice to come with some of the best community maps that weren't made official.

Like that Grindhouse competition all over again?

PS: I think another mapping competition would be a good idea. It brought out a lot of great maps from the community and added more "official" maps in an update. So people who aren't able to figure out how to install maps (for some, it really is true) and xbox gamers would have more benefits. TWI's goodness graciousness compared with most XBLA distributors = gold.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Would Killing Floor be successful if digitally distributed on consoles in the future? :confused:

I doubt that.

1. It doesn't have powerarmoured spacemarines.
2. Headshot balancing relative to poor accuracy of a console controller would be near impossible.
3. Small kiddies couldn't understand the 'fun' of the game regarding dialoque and especially the trader.
4. No moon-like gravity while jumping.
5. Fitting all required controls in fluid way on a gamepad would be a nightmare.
6. The game's difficulty would cause too many bumrapes for the patience of average console gamer.
7. Some of the achivements would be quite ridicuously difficult to do on a console, making achivement whores go sad as they have to work for it.
8. The console FoV could cause major issues in some maps regarding moving and actually seeing things properly.
9. Doesn't have up-to-date visuals to drool over, making it instant ****.
10. "ZOMG IT RIPS L4D OFF!!!111kekekekekek"

Upvote 0
I doubt that.

1. It doesn't have powerarmoured spacemarines.
2. Headshot balancing relative to poor accuracy of a console controller would be near impossible.
3. Small kiddies couldn't understand the 'fun' of the game regarding dialoque and especially the trader.
4. No moon-like gravity while jumping.
5. Fitting all required controls in fluid way on a gamepad would be a nightmare.
6. The game's difficulty would cause too many bumrapes for the patience of average console gamer.
7. Some of the achivements would be quite ridicuously difficult to do on a console, making achivement whores go sad as they have to work for it.
8. The console FoV could cause major issues in some maps regarding moving and actually seeing things properly.
9. Doesn't have up-to-date visuals to drool over, making it instant ****.
10. "ZOMG IT RIPS L4D OFF!!!111kekekekekek"

Yeah you are probably right about most of that since console only gamers are pretty closed minded and need a tutorial to walk you around the game by the hand before they would know how to play it.

But I don't agree about the pad bit. Now and again I use an xbox360 when the keyboard is pissing me off and I can definately hold my own on Hard difficulty - Haven't tried using the pad on Suicidal.

Upvote 0
Yeah you are probably right about most of that since console only gamers are pretty closed minded and need a tutorial to walk you around the game by the hand before they would know how to play it.

It wasn't meant to be ultra serious list (note point #1), but even putting the humour aside it still would raise the problem of how it would really play on a console. There's plenty of ideas which sounds good on paper, yet once put in practice you'll realize it would either need major rehaul or simply let it be. After we get that sorted out we would run into the issue of typical console gamer, which speaks for itself :p

Upvote 0