• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An idea about gameplay

Badbloody

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2010
France
Weeks ago, Kabelis made a topic about changing the Crew's manners to play a map ( almost every time, we make up a defense and we keep this position until the Patty's wave)

Here's the original topic : http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=42763http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=42763

So, yesterday i've thought about an idea that may change our way to play kf .
The idea is simple, as you know, for the moment we have our own location to make up defences for each maps . So, why not make some location on the maps .

The goal is simple, mapmaker will set the positions (let's say 5-6) on the map and , when playing, the place will be randomly chosen each wave, pushing the team to move on this position and make up the defence right there .

- These location will glow (enough to notice them)
- They will be rectangular (the size of 2-3 car from westlondon) and will be placed in each maps that we all know .
- They will randomly spawn on the map at predefined positions (each wave )
- An arrow will show these position (like the trader)

You're about to say "wtf? Glowing thing? Why?" , here i come :

Anyone standing on these locations will earn extra cash for every specs killed .

The main problem is the money actually earned . Actually, weapons are cheap ...too much =/. So, if for the next update, the devs remove some discount (like 9_6 and some others asked) from the weapons and reduce the money earned in each mode, we could add these "cash spot" . Otherwise, this idea will be useless ^^' .

So, this idea will force no one, just pushing your *** to search for it and try to keep the position at this position .

What do you think of that ?

Last edited:
Forcing people to do stuff = no

It force no one . If you want to make up the defense at Y location, you can do it . You'll just earn less money and it will take longer to have T3 weapons. See that like a "dangerous factor", the places will be a bit harder to defend (3 way area imo) so we'll have some bonus money for that.

And, actually this idea don't work due to the amount of money that we can earn .

@9_6 : Actually, the fact that we win some money by killing specs make sense too ?

@SMIFF : Yup , we need to find the good % of extra cash . If the weapons cost more in the next update, it will maybe change your mind about these location ^^' .

(soz for the english )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@9_6 : Actually, the fact that we win some money by killing specs make sense too ?
Maybe the trader keeps track how many zeds everyone kills and subscribes the money to each persons bank account or something?
She does keep babbling about how you almost got them all and stuff.
Getting money for each kill can be explained *somehow*. It makes "sense".
Getting more money if you're inside some tiny square for the same kills...

You know, there is that game in which you play a penguin with a baseball bat who has to fight mutant penguins, but to get his bat he first has to collect the letters "BAT" which are in treasure chests which you open with gremlins to make them explode for you to collect said letter to form the word and then proceed to beat the crap out of the mutant penguins but they don't die, no, instead you have to collect gems that scatter around each time you beat them.

Killing floor is not such a game.
You need some sort of explanation why people get more money when standing inside of some arbitrarily placed tiny square cause, you know, unlike getting money for kills, this is fairly counterintuitive and random.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It force no one..........If the weapons cost more in the next update, it will maybe change your mind about these location ^^' .)

Well you just said it does.

And think about it, if this ever happens, think really hard on that one, do you think that the majority of players will play on servers with that gameplay if they always need to move to get more cash?

Upvote 0
Maybe the trader keeps track how many zeds everyone kills and subscribes the money to each persons bank account or something?
She does keep babbling about how you almost got them all and stuff.
Getting money for each kill can be explained *somehow*. It makes "sense".
Getting more money if you're inside some tiny square for the same kills...

You know, there is that game in which you play a penguin with a baseball bat who has to fight mutant penguins, but to get his bat he first has to collect the letters "BAT" which are in treasure chests which you open with gremlins to make them explode for you to collect said letter to form the word and then proceed to beat the crap out of the mutant penguins but they don't die, no, instead you have to collect gems that scatter around each time you beat them.

Killing floor is not such a game.
You need some sort of explanation why people get more money when standing inside of some arbitrarily placed tiny square cause, you know, unlike getting money for kills, this is fairly counterintuitive and random.

Hmm .. I see . And about the penguin story, you're forced to make it to advance in the game. Here, this is a choice that the team will make . If you choose to stay where you usually make the defence, fine ^^.
Otherwise, we can change the way to obtain the bonus thing . What about put a radio on the located place and try to join the HQ or smth. They will give us a password or whatever . If the team last enough time / kill enough specs during the wave by standing in that area we'll have some discounts for weapons / double xp's perks bonus / others ..
Do you have some idea of rewards thing ?

It's not a quest thing, just some solution to change position . Something that force no one and that's not imbalanced .

@Olivier : J'ai pas dit qu'ils n'avaient pas le choix, ils peuvent choisir de rest

Upvote 0
You know, each and every map created would have to be updated with a "bonus zone" if such a feature was to be implemented.
You should probably work with what's already there so there would be no update necessary.
Maybe, instead of a "bonus spot", there can be other ways to get more money from killing specimens.

You have to ask yourself "what would they give me more money for?".

A simple way to make players move would be to make them gather specimen bodyparts for extra cash or have a keyboard shortcut for a dartgun that gives some money when it hits a specimen to gather DNA samples or something.

Maybe the trader will also give out cash to each player during waves at random trader spots but she'll only open the door if you protect it for a while and the amount each player gets depends on how many specimens were killed in a radius of ~50m.

Each perk could also get extra money for doing their job. Like they should.
Medics get cash for healing, sharpshooters for headshots, supports for welding and killing multiple enemies with 1 shot, firebug for keeping specimens burning, commandos for killing stalkers n crawlers, berserkers for each ZED time extension and for scrakes and demos for... constantly blinding the team for X minutes.

Upvote 0
This sound quite like the cash room that most of the maps in KF mod had. A much better solution to the problem you posed would be a randomly spawning area that you have to interact with to receive money. By removing discounts there would be a good reason to go to these spots but not an overwhelming need to do so.

But honestly any of these ideas would be hard to integrate into maps that have already been made since there are no markers for where these areas could be.

Upvote 0
Except it already doesn't take long to get tier 3 weapons...

Yup, actually the concept isn't suitable for the actual weapon's price =/ (like ive said in the main topic ^^)

Akame said:
This sound quite like the cash room that most of the maps in KF mod had. A much better solution to the problem you posed would be a randomly spawning area that you have to interact with to receive money. By removing discounts there would be a good reason to go to these spots but not an overwhelming need to do so.

Ive never played the mod ^^' . About the interacting thing, it's interesting but i don't know if it will "push" or "force" the players to acces this area . We should have something that force people to make choice :

"Are we going to the special room to get money or do we stay at our safely locations but we will have not that much money for T3 weapons?"

We should make something that give a choice to the team, something that will influence the end wave game (7-10 and patty).

9_6 said:
Gather dna / dart thing / save the trader

I think that these one are too much "quest" things .

9_6 said:
Each perk could also get extra money for doing their job. Like they should.

But this one make sense ! Like this one ^^ , but i dont know if peoples in pubs games will like it, it will push people to be selfish and make new conflicts between players > "Hey why did you kills the crawler, they're mine im a commando!". Actually stalkers make some conflict when a non commando kill a squad of 5 stalkers in front of the commando ( yeah it's raging when you're not lvl 6 xD) .
We can tweak this idea but it will not change the fact that people will stay at same places each round.

It's sad to see that a lots of people stay in a location and don't explore the rest of the map like we should do .

Just look at MountainPass, i know a lots of people that go in da chopper that stand at the spawn point ... and they stay here, they go only for trader times and come back .

9_6 said:
Too hard to implement / Use actual settings

The things is, actually everyone know what has to be tweaked cause the game is too easy, i dont want to give an idea for the initial version cause it's an imbalanced version (sadly). About the difficulty of implement it ... Surely, i dont have the skill to code / mod ^^' , just the ability to twist my brain xD.

Olivier said:
Trop dur a implent

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Extra cash? No.

However, it would be interesting if the map changed beetween waves somehow. Like, some portions of the map were closed off, or lights went out at some parts of the map. Ive actually tried doing something like this but for some reason my triggerlights NEVER worked...

And about the ammos ^^' ? Yeah, i had the same idea that you have, some doors that are locked in Bioticslab for exemple, could be fun "oh **** U room closed, run!" .

And about some portion of the map that is movable, is it possible to make via the sdk?

Upvote 0