• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fix for BT HomeHub / Thomson / BeBox etc routers disconnecting - walking into walls

No, the file replacement fix does not currently work. Let me make it clear that the problem is solely the router's fault, and not the ISP you are with. The workarounds should all work, providing your router is not actually crashing. These are either:

• connect to a game and when it disconnects you (you see specimens walking into walls) open the console with the ` or # key and type reconnect (you'll have to do this twice)
  • wait longer than 1 minute after refreshing the server list to join the game
  • add servers to your favourites and instead of clicking on internet, click favourites and connect from there
If your router allows telnet access you can delete the offending rule as detailed in my first post.

Upvote 0
No, the file replacement fix does not currently work. Let me make it clear that the problem is solely the router's fault, and not the ISP you are with. The workarounds should all work, providing your router is not actually crashing. These are either:

• connect to a game and when it disconnects you (you see specimens walking into walls) open the console with the ` or # key and type reconnect (you'll have to do this twice)
  • wait longer than 1 minute after refreshing the server list to join the game
  • add servers to your favourites and instead of clicking on internet, click favourites and connect from there
If your router allows telnet access you can delete the offending rule as detailed in my first post.

Ok Ill give this a shot because from what I played I really love KF D:

Upvote 0
A new fix is available. Download the MasterServer2.zip file in the first post, and follow the same instructions as before but with the MasterServer2.vdf file instead. You shouldn't need to replace the MasterServers.vdf file. If you are unable to download the attachment, open your MasterServer2.vdf file (found in your "Steam\config" directory) in notepad and copy and paste the following into in, replacing what was in it.
Code:
"MasterServers"
{
    "hl1"
    {
        "0"
        {
            "addr"        "69.28.151.162:27013"
        }
        "1"
        {
            "addr"        "72.165.61.136:27010"
        }
        "2"
        {
            "addr"        "69.28.151.162:27010"
        }
        "3"
        {
            "addr"        "68.142.72.250:27010"
        }
        "4"
        {
            "addr"        "72.165.61.189:27010"
        }
    }
    "hl2"
    {
        "0"
        {
            "addr"        "72.165.61.153:27015"
        }
    }
    "rdkf"
    {
        "0"
        {
            "addr"        "68.142.72.250:27012"
        }
        "1"
        {
            "addr"        "67.132.200.140:27012"
        }
    }
    "gms"
    {
    }
}
Save the file and then make it read only, as in the previous fix.

Hopefully this will let you enjoy Killing Floor without any further disconnecting issues - please post back with whether this is the case or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thorii, did you make sure that you made the file read-only after making the changes? Otherwise Steam will overwrite it again. It's probably best to quit out of Steam first, replace the file, make it read-only, and then restart Steam. If that doesn't work then I'll have to find out why it worked when I tried it, but not for you.

Also telnet isn't installed by default in Windows 7 so you'd have to install it, or use something like Putty instead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Information Requested

Information Requested

Alright, thanks.

In answer to your question, yes I did make the file read-only, but steam was running at that time. Since then I have signed out of steam, changed it again and then restarted steam and I am still having no luck.

As for my router information, I am currently using a Thomson TG585 v7.
I have added exceptions to this router for all the ports suggested in Yoshiro's guide already.

Also, how would I go about, as you said, "installing" telnet or Putty, and would that indeed help me fix my problem.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
To install Telnet on Windows 7:

1. Start
  2. Control Panel
  3. Programs And Features
  4. Turn Windows features on or off
  5. Check Telnet Client
  6. Click OK
Then follow the Telnet instructions in the link in the first post. As long as the router allows Telnet access and you have a username and password with high enough privileges then you should be able to permanently fix it, yes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Problem

Problem

I installed telnet, and I got to the username and password bit. Then, I found that none of the deault passwords worked, and the password I used to connect my router to my ISP didn't work either. If I have access to my Thomson router via web browser, is there anyway I could view passwords or change them etc. Thanks much..

And, I want to avoid all contact possible with my ISP as they will have no idea what I'm talking about because ISPs in Cyprus suck. ;O

Upvote 0
As it seems my last message didn't reach here, or I'm just paranoid and posting too much D;

Anyway, an edit from what I posted, if you can see it.

KF now works perfect, thank you. I used telnet and it solved the problem straight away. I had to go about messing with the settings as the username and password weren't the default ones..

Anyway, many thanks, if I need help with KF I know where to come..

Upvote 0
oh, i might have posted before and it browk, but i cant see it so im trying again. anywayz....

whenever i try to connect to telnet is says could not connect to port 23. any help? i searched it on google but it seems all the fixes you can only do when connected to telnet :confused:
please halp, i've tried both master server files and everything. I havnt been able to go on KF for months.....

Upvote 0
basically this fix worked for me
then i stoppped playing KF due to exams
and now the crashing continues and this fix is unable to fix the problem!
I would change the router, but its my parents so its kinda hard!
i know its the router because i go round friends houses and can connect perfectly fine through their wireless.
ah well
left a question on steam forums so hopefully will resolve my horrible, insanely annoying problem!

Upvote 0