• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flamethrowers and swords

Katanas would be balanced by default. If by some miracle you manage to get close enough to use it without being gunned down, then you'd have well and truly earned the right to hack the other team apart in short order.

Don't confuse a 'ninja style katana' with the low quality items that usually got issued as Japanese Officer Swords.
I'm sure there are whole corners of the internet dedicated to discussing this exact topic.. but I've reached the extent of my knowledge.

Upvote 0
If im not mistaken, If you do puncture the back of the gas tank it wouldn't explode. They tried that on myth-busters, they used incendiary rounds on a flamethrower, nothing
they did not test it right , i saw the episode and they did not shoot through both tanks (nitrogen and gas)

There are many accounts of flamethrower men exploding in history

Upvote 0
Both weapons would be great, both historically and realistically.
Implemented properly they would be great, the sword however concerns me.
As the war drew on the Japanese army changed their tactics some what, as they started their large rear guard action back across the Pacific they would adopt the defensive tactic rather then their previous extremely aggressive attacking tactics, I guess they figured out that large scale 'Banzai' charges against fortified positions was pointless, I can imagine the devs will make maps such as Pelelui, Saipan, Okinawa etc...
Battles where large scale positional warfare was not the case.

Basically what I'm saying is that a sword will be useless in many instances, why would you bother with a sword if someone has a flamethrower.

Upvote 0
Amongst many other things, there is a reason as to why most other modern army's at that time did not favour a sword over, say, a revolver or an SMG of some sort.
But given the extreme close quarter fighting troops were engaged in in the Pacific theatre I think it could be kind of usefull.
I think having a sword wielding officer charging your position would extremely frighting and intimidating in-game, and I would like to see in implemented but I'm worried that it may be too chessy, an instant win button, if they can work it in with the melee' system I think it could be great.

Upvote 0
Actually you need some skill and training with a Sword to kill someone in one hit. And later in the Pacific War new Swords were stamped and not forged traditionally so that every Officer could carry one.

Though the katana is made for cutting, you need to hit in the correct angle and with the correct technique to cut through a Limb. Stabbing with it, though definitly not advisable with such a Weapon is really leathal.

Upvote 0
I think this is a good idea, the Flamethrower may be hard to balance right though, you have to think about an operator's ability to just charge through an entire frontline and whether he will be too vulnerable to snipers and dug in machine guns.

On the exploding issue, I believe it is possible to explode a Flamethrower tank a la Saving Private Ryan, but it was much more likely that the tank just expelled it's contents harmlessly, except for throwing the operator forward a couple of meters.

Upvote 0