• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The ultimate and ONLY KF is dying / not updated / etc thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I guess KF is dead :p

it's dead for people who've played for a long time and those who've been waiting the past 6 months for any type of update or even just a bug fix.

that's why the numbers over the past 6 months have looked like this:

downward_graph_small.jpg

due to the sale, the numbers now look like this:

upward_graph_t250.jpg

thing is, the change in the graphs are not the result of players getting back into the game because the game has improved or been updated, but because of some new players who just bought the game because it went on sale. the steam stats page may give you the illusion that the numbers are up when in reality for a substantial portion of players that own the game, it's been relatively "dead" for quite some time now. remember back to the last sale in december, numbers went up to 7,000 daily peak for weeks not only because NEW players came in as the result of the sale but pre-sale owners came back as the result of the update. ;)

sure the sale is great, and it's nice to see the numbers up to where they are, but it's not exactly an accurate sign of activity levels. the upwards graph is just new players replacing some of the old players who've not been as active for the last 4-6 months due to "being bored", "the game's too easy", "the game is broken", "there are bugs" etc... whatever their reason is. meaning that there is really only an increase in the amount of owners and NOT an increase in the amount of players. a more accurate graph would be total game owners in comparrision to the amount of those owners actually playing the game on a daily basis. unfortunately the average person doesn't have that info.

sorry to sound some what negative, but that's the non-sugarcoated reality of the game's status.

edit: and to add, L4D also had a sequel that a ton of people stopped playing the original and moved on to play L4D2. since there is no KF2, not really that great of a comparision. the only thing that is the same is that there are probably what, 20,000,000 people who own L4D with daily peak at 4,000 (which yeah it sucks but again a sequel) and maybe 400,000 people who own KF with a daily peak of (3,000).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've played KF non stop for an entire year but lately I've been playing other things, maybe due to the lack of updates or just because I haven't played anything else for a year.

I've mostly played Iron Grip: Warlord which is another Co-op game, it's got some pretty good gameplay but it's no where near as good as KF. Although right now it's a nice break from the zombies.

Upvote 0
it is dying when there are such simple fixes to be done that you guys have slacked on.

there i said it. you know what simple fixes im talking about.

You are correct, I've used my mind reading powers to know exactly what you are talking about :rolleyes:

And bswearer, must you pop up and sow the seeds of doom and gloom for every game we make ;) The reality is the graphs look nothing like that. The graph for the past six months has a big spike around Christmas, then leveling off to pretty close to the current (pre-mac release) levels around the middle of February, with about a 5% decline since then, and now a huge spike with all the new players coming in.

Every game has a life cycle, and will eventually fade away. New players come in, and replace players that don't play a game anymore. That is just a fact of how games work. As has been mentioned on the OGG, there is another update in the works, and we'll do what we've always done, and keep adding content to extend the life of the game. About 10 months ago player counts were peaking at about 1000, now (pre-mac release) they have been peaking at a little less than 2000. I'd say that is a pretty good result.

Upvote 0
I believe this game is doing a lot better than most games out there and it's anything but dying. I believe a game is dying when you have problem finding servers with people to play with. Just my opinion though.

As for the DLCs I think this game is complete, except from some balance issues. Not that I mind getting free updates but I am very very satisfied with the current content as it is. I mean how is it even possible to ask for more?

I have yet to try RO though, will most likely do that next week after the exams:)

Upvote 0