• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Custom perks?

TacoBomber

May 27, 2009
Not my best brain-fart, but it'll have to do for now. Damn allergies.

TL;DR version: Put points into different categories to make your own perk outside of the standard ones.

Good: More control over what bonuses you get. Focus on improving performance with a certain weapon, all weapons in general, running speed, defense, and so on.
Bad: More potential for overpowering combos of certain bonuses (super high movement speed to outrun everything) and headaches for the developers if they have to start worrying about such combos and things making things way too easy.

Details! I'm thinking... After doing enough of X thing for Y amount (kill/damage enemies, weld doors, jump, whatever) to get a level up, the player can assign a certain number of points to their custom perk. Certain bonuses will be higher depending on how specific/general they are (attack bonuses for only one weapon would be higher per point compared to attack bonuses for a range of weapons). Spawning with a weapon would take several points, meaning that you would be overall weaker than someone that put those points into improving their base performance instead.

Idea for further balancing (kinda)... If you tried to recreate the existing perks with this system, it would be impossible because you would not have enough points overall to do so. As such, this would make it more viable to just use the existing perks unless you wanted something drastically different from what's already available.

I think this would only work if you didn't get as many bonuses as the original perks.

Like I think the regular get like 6 or so bonuses at level 5?
Custom perks could get like 4.
And you can only get like 1 damage perk and no stacking of perks, so that way you can't get like massive shotgun damage as well as head shot damage, or like 150% running speed.

Better yet, custom perks could only be unlocked AFTER you max all the original perks. That might make things a bit even.

Upvote 0
I think this would only work if you didn't get as many bonuses as the original perks.

Like I think the regular get like 6 or so bonuses at level 5?
Custom perks could get like 4.
And you can only get like 1 damage perk and no stacking of perks, so that way you can't get like massive shotgun damage as well as head shot damage, or like 150% running speed.

Better yet, custom perks could only be unlocked AFTER you max all the original perks. That might make things a bit even.

That's pretty much what I was aiming for. Even if you tried recreating the original perks, you'd end up with less bonuses than what they would normally give you.

Stacking certain bonuses... Bonus caps or some sort of diminishing gains system after a certain point would definitely be necessary, although it would be pretty fun fun to zip around that quickly even if you had no weapon/armor bonuses whatsoever to go with that speed.

For a more number-based example... If I recall correctly, most of the current perks give 10% bonuses per level to their weapon type (exceptions being Berserkers at 20% and Field Medics with armor instead of weapons). For this system, putting a point into a damage bonus for whatever weapon/weapon type would give.. Say.. a 7.5% damage bonus. And.. My brain died again. More another time when I can think better.

I hate allergy season.

Upvote 0
From the Desk of Mr. DoubleT/\P,

I went fossil huntin! Loookie at what I found..

Actually the reason I went searching is because this was brought up last night in a match after I mentioned how desperately bad I wanted a Ninja perk, then someone suggested a Custom perk, where you pick the line of weapons you would like to specialize in, and get the bonuses you prefer.

A few reasons why this would work:

WHOA is that a ___________!?!?
Think of it like this, you go on an internet match and see people picking their customs and seeing names like Crusher, Ranger, Vigilante etc. HOW FREAKIN COOL WOULD THAT BE!? Got no idea how good they are until you see em in action, and they would level up through certain circumstances not decided by the player, but decided by the game through which perk bonuses the player chose.

(Un)limited possibilities
Allows us to experiment with most of these perk ideas that we've got on this thread, it wouldn't matter anymore if it was a balanced idea or not. The game would definitely have to have thresholds as far as picking perks goes. For instance, Commando gets increased reload speed on all weapons, you couldn't choose that and the sharpshooter's reload speed bonus. That option should be greyed out and maybe even implement a point system where specific perk bonuses cost a certain amount of points and you only have so much. So having tough body armor like a medic would cost more points than say... increased fire damage.

This allows all sorts of customization and may give the firebug the huge shove that it needs (Fire bullets anyone?) Of course it would take another update with extra weapons for customization and maybe even a new original perk as I'm going to start calling em. (Submachine gun perk, pistol perk)

SDK???
If someone made a map, what if they had the option to disable custom perks BUT replace the originals with their own designed customs that are tailored to the difficulty level decided (Of course it wouldn't be whitelisted) I would find that an intense map which would require a lot of teamwork and squad movements since no one would have a particular comfort zone with these brand new perks they've never seen before (if it was your first time o course:eek:)

Reasons it wouldn't work

BALANCE, BALANCE, BALANCE.
I'm pretty sure if given a certain amount of time, players will be finding exploits with the perk bonuses, finding a certain combo and you see nothing but that custom online -.- Pretty sure I'd label that one NOOB. But yeah this would require a watchful eye for a while, at least until all the balance issues are sorted.

Obsolete originals?
This may be either the flavor of the month or something that sticks around a while, either way it may cause the classic perk choices to become unused. So like one of the posts above mentions, maybe only make particular perk bonuses available for customization once the perk it belongs to is maxed to 6. Gives us another reason to go for Gold I'd say. And how frustrating would it be if you wanted to see enemy health bars and your commando is at lvl 3. RAAAAAAAGE xD

I think this idea would offer a much needed dimension to playing Killing Floor. As an added bonus so you can't farm the new custom, I nominate that the new update takes the mutators off the whitelist. We'll see how long it takes til the farmers crumble :cool:

On second thought after much consideration, this would seem to fit better in KF2: The Bloody Maelstrom. Too much coding and whatnot to put it in. It was a cool idea though.
That's all for now, questions, comments? Forward them my direction (

Last edited:
Upvote 0
id like this idea alot, but it would have to have some guidelines to stop ppl from making a perk that only levels when you kill clots or something easy like that lol.

Pretty much yeah.

So how about this:

If you choose perk bonuses, let's say commando global reload and medic armour, then you'd have to heal X points and do Y commando damage and kill Z stalkers.

Or something like that.

Upvote 0
Requirements regarding your bonuses... Interesting.

Just read this thread, and it seems an awesome idea. But as everyone else said, there'll be HUGE balance issues. How would you feel if there was a "sharpshooter/commando" hybrid? HS damage bonus, can see enemies HP, cloaked stalkers... That has the capability of being even more powerful than original SS.

As for original perks being unused:
Will only happen if one of the customs is more powerful than everyone else.
There's people that play to win, and people that play to have fun. Those who play to win pick the strongest stuff, exploit the maps and the game itself to have an advantage (nowadays, most of those are playing sharpshooter). Those who play to have fun like to pick the underdog (usually firebug or 'zerker), often go with "thematic" builds (gunslingers for sharpshooter, for example)... There's of course people in between, but whatever

Upvote 0
I agree with Uk1t4k3, as well as agree with brphoenix. It seems this would make a great customization feature ingame, and since the custom perks won't be as powerful as an original level 6 perk (unless in the case of exploits, of course), I think the only problem would be coding it and fixing exploits. :/

I'm not a coder myself, but it looks pretty tough to code.. o.o Idk..

Upvote 0
Oh, i kinda meant more like direct feedback involving a quote. <_<

How about this:

The highest rank ability you get is L5.

Combine this with a maximum of 2 abilities from a perk. So you can choose SS headshot damage and SS discount, but you don't get recoil reduction, reload speed, or anything else. You can have, say 5 abilities max, and you can't stack similar abilities. So no SS + Commando reload stacking.

The only problem i see with this is the ability to create a Zerdic.

This would have: Medic armour and run speed, Berserker damage bonus and damage reduction, perhaps with commando stalker sight.

I see no way to stop this with my current idea.

Medic's armor and zerker's damage reduction kinda serve the same purpose, don't they? I mean, both protect you from damage. They should be restricted then, right?

Upvote 0
I'd prefer if your bonuses could not surpass Lvl4 of regular perks, because a few L5 bonuses aren't improved on L6 (meaning, if you choose right, you could build effectively a "L6 perk").

On a side note, if this gets implemented (with L4 perk power, 4 abilities maximum), this'd be my perk:

Sharpshooter's Damage bonuses (40%)
Sharpshooter's Reload bonuses (40%)
Firebug's Resistance to fire (90%)
Medic's Syringe Recharge (100% faster)

Guess its name :3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
id like this idea alot, but it would have to have some guidelines to stop ppl from making a perk that only levels when you kill clots or something easy like that lol.

Totally agree, having a requirement to kill clots would be ridiculous and if TWI did implement this idea and put a 'clot kill' bar in, shame on them D:

"If you choose perk bonuses, let's say commando global reload and medic armour, then you'd have to heal X points and do Y commando damage and kill Z stalkers."

I like this idea, having more than one requirement to level up a perk would require much more work than people think, especially if your healing bonus isn't up, just the combat armor. By the way, I think each bonus meter should move only if they're using the selected perk. Otherwise a level 6 medic would have their reqs instantly.

"Just read this thread, and it seems an awesome idea. But as everyone else said, there'll be HUGE balance issues. How would you feel if there was a "sharpshooter/commando" hybrid? HS damage bonus, can see enemies HP, cloaked stalkers... That has the capability of being even more powerful than original SS."

This is where that awesome points system comes in, say you have a limit of pts and each of those bonuses was set up so that you couldn't have all 3 without going over the limit. That's the part that would require the most balancing I think.

"On a side note, if this gets implemented (with L4 perk power, 4 abilities maximum), this'd be my perk:

Sharpshooter's Damage bonuses (40%)
Sharpshooter's Reload bonuses (40%)
Firebug's Resistance to fire (90%)
Medic's Syringe Recharge (100% faster)

Guess its name :3"

I'm going to guess... PHOENIX! :D That looks like an awesome build. If I did this I'd go with something like..

Shotgun expertise/penetration/cost
Global reload reduction
Enemy health bars

I'd call it Triggerhappy :D

Upvote 0