• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why do you still play RO when we have DH

there are other servers other than the 29th, Zookawarrior has recently put up a 50 players server and is constantly full.
Counted them last night and there are 34 servers running DH, so not playing DH just cos you don't like one server doesn't cut the mustard.

TBH if you guys have decided for whatever reason you don't like DH fine. Some of the posts I have seen though are just as they always have been, So carry on we are happy with the MOD' Overall success and our community seem to like what we have done, HMMM how many other of RO Mod's are still beign played ?????.

Keep up the great work guys and hope you enjoy playing the same stuff week in week out in RO, till HOS get's released. DANZIG 24/7 FTW.

Upvote 0
HMMM how many other of RO Mod's are still beign played ?????.
A triumph of the main-stream.

Keep up the great work guys and hope you enjoy playing the same stuff week in week out in RO, till HOS get's released. DANZIG 24/7 FTW.

Now that's the kind of attitude i associate with DH!
I've missed it.

Upvote 0
Common be fair.

Before I continue, know this.
I have logged over 300 hours in DH now so I know the mod and its quirks.

Its been suggested that I knew about the coming patch and perhaps started this thread as a little advertising for DH.
Well I don't mind advertising for DH but I didn't know anything about the patch.
In fact I stopped responding to this thread, because it was 2 inches away from turning bad.

My first line in this thread was "Don't get me wrong I love RO as well :)"
So it should be clear that I never intended this to be a DH vs RO thread.
But that could be hard to come around so I guess its fair to discuss.

I'm not a member of the DH team nor am I a member of the 29th clan.
If I "speak" about them, its MY personal opinion, I don't feel obliged to say anything in favor for nobody.

29th is a large clan and they run at least 2 servers, witch they pay and set the rules for.
We have to respect that or choose a different server.

So please don't disregard DH or the 29th clan because you witnessed or experienced a bad admin decision.
Most of us have probably at some time witnessed, in various games, an overly protective admin.

From my perspective observing and playing DH 3.0 over several months.
I can only testify that, the 29th servers are fair and fun. I REALLY enjoy playing there.
I believe when I think about it, its also because the server admins do a good job.
I've seen and heard so much crap on public servers in RO.
I dont have to mute people or put up with pencildicks like that on the 29th servers, they are kicked and banned.

They do have a practice of giving out warnings to people that say **** all the time and other gems.
Not a big problem unless you're Scottish.

I hate to play with high ping, but I find that selecting the MG role is makes it a little easier to lead the targets.

Someone said that they didn't like German MG in DH.
As far as I can remember it feels pretty much the same as in RO just double amount in the ammo belts.

I love the MG and suppressive fire effect in DH but I understand its not everyones cup of tea, fair enough.
But for me its fun and quite real too, and I have reasons to say that.
The MG3 was part of my basic army training. The MG3 is identical to the MG42 except for the barrel change to 7.62mm.
Its a BLAST to use on the range. We had to swap, loading, shooting and sit in a safe trench just below the targets.
I can testify that the bullet snap and cracks are very real and scary.
Real bullets don't sway you head to the side but you would need balls of steal to stand up shoot back effectively.

Sorry for the long read. Let me finish of by repeating my self briefly.
This is not RO vs DH but more like HEY this is FUN too.

Give it a try because I need more friends to kill :D

Attachments

• 800px-BundeswehrMG3.jpg
    800px-BundeswehrMG3.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I read only the first page of this thread because I realized the the agend of the discussion: Not enough players, not enough proper servers, not enough this and that... :p But yeah

there are other servers other than the 29th, Zookawarrior has recently put up a 50 players server and is constantly full.

^this. You know why I bought the server with 2 Finnish friends of mine? because I got tired of the fact that there was really one proper and active server around. And I used to be part of them and left because I want to make the game bigger and better - hence why I joined the DH Team and before that started activating Finns in DH. And I knew I could compete in the market with proper server in the European market. And well so far it looks good.

My server is for the European and Finnish audience in particular and I'm enforcing a rule for no pings over 200. And currently am testing reserved slot mutator for active Finns and DH Team and donators (alreadt recieved two public donations from non-Finns btw...). I did this without any pressure from the DH Team, this is an individual act, and doesn't represent DH Team or their agenda.

So why don't you start your own server? Instead of useless complaining about how someone runs THEIR server that THEY pay big money for it. I'm not trying to turn those heads around who just flat out dislikes DH and says RO is better, no point in that. But those who doesn't play the game only because of one server and unit (not clan btw...), pfft. **DHFinland: Murheellisten Laulujen Maa** is brought you by the Finnish community in DH ;) Check it out. Server starts filling up after midday and stays full till 2-3am. And that's what the server needs: activity around the times when admins are around. I don't like servers active around the clock because no admins present. So if you're European (or anyone below 200 ping - yes I enforce that rule for the reason that it's targeted for the European and the Finnish audience, nothing to do with the lag issues). Come check it out. If there's room ;)

**DHFinland: Murheellisten Laulujen Maa** @ 94.75.249.88:7757
(lag free server with 50 slots... except in some heavy maps in the beginning when everyone is joining/downloading)
Found @ [url]www.darkesthourfinland.org[/URL]
#darkesthourfinland @ QuakeNet

Cheers and have a good day!

Upvote 0
Well for me because DH has all the weapons, animations and features but %90 of maps are absolutely horrible. It's always one side getting shafted while the others enjoying a turkey shoot.

I understand the mappers designing the maps asymmetrically thinking "people has to use teamwork" to overcome the odds, but in real life conditions it doesn't work.

To give you and idea, yesterday I gave DH another shot on a very popular server. I don't remember the name but allies were defending a woodland area, while axis had to attack. It was almost an exact copy of a RO map "Kurland Kessel". One difference though, the axis had TWO Panthers and artillery support while the allies had nothing comparable. Instead we had two engineers and three AT guys, who unfortunately had absolutely no idea what they were doing.

As expected, the tanks steamrolled us. Axis enjoyed their game, while our team getting rage quits over and over. Our engineers and AT guys had the lowest scores. Awesome.

Another map, Omaha. This time I picked Axis and it was like playing "Duck Hunt" for 15 minutes. Poor allies trying to cross the huge and empty beach, while getting pounded by mortars. I had a K98 so I rested my rifle in a bunker, and enjoyed shooting some poor guys trying to have fun while I was sipping my coffee. Poor guys. I got bored and quit.

I won't even talk about the other map played "Ramelle". It was such a disaster.

Please don't take this as a hate post, as I have nothing to hate (I barely play anything related RO anymore). But I think DH still has a long way to go creating publicly playable(read: fun) maps. I hope they change their thoughts of "

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Though since HoS is near, it doesn't matter anyway.

idk how "near" HOS really is, but you're right about the future of DH. when HOS does come out, DH will fade off into the distance as a mod that was fun while it was around but could never quite replicate the RO most of us came to love. sure it's a sad reality for those who thought DH would some how replace the "mother game" RO, but for the majority of typical RO fans, we'll appreciate DH for what it brought to the game and community and move on to bigger and better things with HOS. if some DH diehards really want to see DH move into the future, please by all means try to convince the DH devs to port the mod over to the new engine to work off HOS.

Upvote 0
What rak and bswearomon said.

I played yestered as buddies were playing it. The maps are just horrible, the animations of the allies and weapon textures, while ok, still look and feel like a mod. The melee anin are cartoon laughable.

There is 1 or two good maps, real fun to play, but give it 30mins I crave to fun, refined awesomness of RO.

Upvote 0
Zook..i dont know man...as long as you dont have hard proof of your accusations you maybe want to bog down a bit...:rolleyes: I for one enjoi playing DH sometimes..but you might want to rethink the maps you feature on your server. ;)

Bridge TDM ? Berlin with americans ? Thats the kind of **** that ruins DH for alot of people...

And as for {Core}s reputation..dont worry..we where here a long time before you came here..and will be after you vanished...

Last edited:
Reactions: Hackel
Upvote 0
Its allways comfortable to base ones opinion on hearsay...:D:rolleyes:

In fact, i dislike most of the stockmaps that come with DH. ( too small, bad spawns, unbalanced ect ) I prefer the maps from sepp..( wich i say way too often ) just because you asked. ( stoumont, maupertus, laglaize, targon, ect ) Just because they fit right in.

And as for Berlin. Imo it had its place in RO, but man, it just dosent fit..."americans taking berlin" is something one just knows from subpar "alternative reality" RTS games. There is some thing that just shouldent have been in DH..like a Arad version or that berlin map. Besides...did anyone port danzig to DH yet ?

Is that a threat?
Just a fact...:D;)

Anyways, the more populated servers the better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
+ 1 blacklabel said
and
+ 1 Rak said

Those maps that Rak mentioned are exactly the reason why I always stop playing DH when ppl vote them. They just are plain bad...

On the other hand those Sepp's maps that blacklabel mentioned are pure gold ( except targnon) and are the very reason i play DH rather then RO.

Ro maps are usually small city tunnel-hell fights compared to the rural village fights in DH with open fields and forests. I have never liked Danzig and Stalingrad kessel and every server seems to run them 24/7 in RO, so that is why i rather play DH than RO...

Though after all these are just matter of opinion arguments and everyone has a bit different taste...

Upvote 0
I think most of the DH maps are great, sure some of them could need a final touch and polish but I can't think of a single map that has any problem that makes the map unplayable.
At least for those maps in rotation on the 29th servers.

Some maps are hard to win but it's proven time and again that team work is the key.

Take it for what it is and have fun with it :)

Upvote 0
DH is fine for the most part, in my opinion. It is good to see the mod advance to the point it is at when one considers its beginnings, and despite what issues exist it is still playable and offers me some enjoyment, which I can no longer say for public RO servers. Sure a lot of the maps in DH are awful (absolutely agree with Rak on his points), but it's also the only place I have an opportunity to play around on Berlin. It gets played and isn't universally hated, therefore I am content. I even get to absorb feedback and update the map accordingly! I don't take the Americans in Berlin seriously at all and the map could just easily be renamed to alleviate whatever issue that creates. I'm not going to change the name though because that is stupid.

:)

Upvote 0