• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Video] Red Dead Redemption - Whos getting it?

I've seen that article as well - it also says the difference is barely noticeable. As an owner of both consoles I'd recommend the Xbox purchase over the PS3. The party options are a million times better, xbox live isn't free but its so much better than the PSN, and even the controller is superior IMO. Of course if you have friends who have PS3s then you're going to want to go that route.

Upvote 0
I've seen that article as well - it also says the difference is barely noticeable. As an owner of both consoles I'd recommend the Xbox purchase over the PS3. The party options are a million times better, xbox live isn't free but its so much better than the PSN, and even the controller is superior IMO. Of course if you have friends who have PS3s then you're going to want to go that route.

If the difference is anything like GTAIV which I assume it is, its pretty noticeable side by side. Also, I go nuts over graphics settings and detail so I'll definitely notice it.

I do agree the 360 controller is superior but I can't bring myself to buy the unreliable hardware of the 360. Also, I don't like the money grubbin aspects like $100 for a wireless adapter and subscription based online when both come free with ps3. Maybe some of this will change with a 360 slim? All my gamer friends play pc for the most part so I'm not really missing anything on xbox live. Plus ps3 has metal gear solid and god of war and will have the "sequel" to shadow of the collossus. I don't really care for the 360 exclusives. So the only real negatives to ps3 in my situation are a weaker controller and non native res gta and rdr. Honestly though, if I found a great deal for either one I'd take the deal system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you have a good PC, then there's really no point to buying a 360 at this point. I actually wish I had gotten a PS3 instead because most of the 360 exclusives eventually came to the PC, but since I had a crappy PC at the time I had to get them for the console.

As for hardware problems, I've had my 360 since December 2005 and have had the RROD problem once, in the middle of 2007. However, it was caused as a result of a poorly soldered part, and opening up the console and securing it solved the problem. I didn't want to send it to Microsoft for a fee and get back some kid's piss-stained console. I haven't had any problems since then, but I still worry that the system's health is gradually worsening. In terms of disc-scratching, it's only happened to one of my games, Bioshock, but I think that's because I stupidly lent it to some kid who uses his 360 vertically (I'm still pissed, but that's another one now for PC).

Upvote 0
I don't want to deter anyone since the game's still fun as hell, but there is a bug right now in free roam multiplayer that makes some objects invisible like your character or weapons, items your character's wearing, etc.

Has anyone else seen this yet?
Seems Rockstar knows about that and is quickly working on a fix: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63891

Game is tremendously fun so far and I haven't even tried MP yet.

Upvote 0
In case anyone cares here's a good example of the resolution difference I was talking about. You can also see that the ps3 has a "warmer" color scheme. It's rather noticeable imo. Some people may like the ps3's softer look but I think its pretty clear that higher resolution is more important.

http://www.videogameszone.de/screen...d_Dead_Redemption_Screenshot_Vergleich_05.jpg

Can anyone explain the console native resolution thing to me? Since consoles usually run on tv's does that mean the console automatically scales it to fit? So you can't just manually set the resolution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I do agree the 360 controller is superior but I can't bring myself to buy the unreliable hardware of the 360. Also, I don't like the money grubbin aspects like $100 for a wireless adapter and subscription based online when both come free with ps3. Maybe some of this will change with a 360 slim? All my gamer friends play pc for the most part so I'm not really missing anything on xbox live. Plus ps3 has metal gear solid and god of war and will have the "sequel" to shadow of the collossus. I don't really care for the 360 exclusives. So the only real negatives to ps3 in my situation are a weaker controller and non native res gta and rdr. Honestly though, if I found a great deal for either one I'd take the deal system.
Well first off I can tell you, the Xbox is a million times more reliable than it was when they were croaking left and right. I got my Xbox in November 07, just after they added in some nanoprocessor or something in to help make it run cooler. It did break down, but it wasn't 3 red rings, and they reset the warrenty on it, including the 3 year RROD coverage. And it was about one year after I got it. I've used it a lot and compared to the early rushed models that is like a lifetime longer. There are also quite a few ways to play online without the adapter - depends on how close your PC is to your console. Mine is right next to it so I just use the PC connection. Actually, the Xbox website itself tells you a few ways to get onto Xbox Live without the adapter. And yea peripherals are way overpriced, but so are Sony's.

But really it depends on the games I guess, and yea you're only gonna get MGS and such through the PS3 so I guess you'll go that way. Plus, blu-ray beat HDVD or whatever that other HD type M$ was trying to trumpet.

Upvote 0
Well first off I can tell you, the Xbox is a million times more reliable than it was when they were croaking left and right. I got my Xbox in November 07, just after they added in some nanoprocessor or something in to help make it run cooler. It did break down, but it wasn't 3 red rings, and they reset the warrenty on it, including the 3 year RROD coverage. And it was about one year after I got it. I've used it a lot and compared to the early rushed models that is like a lifetime longer. There are also quite a few ways to play online without the adapter - depends on how close your PC is to your console. Mine is right next to it so I just use the PC connection. Actually, the Xbox website itself tells you a few ways to get onto Xbox Live without the adapter. And yea peripherals are way overpriced, but so are Sony's.

But really it depends on the games I guess, and yea you're only gonna get MGS and such through the PS3 so I guess you'll go that way. Plus, blu-ray beat HDVD or whatever that other HD type M$ was trying to trumpet.

Haha saying its more reliable but still broke down doesn't make me feel better lol. I get your point though. And the console will end up being right next to my pc most likely cause I wanna use my HDTV monitor for it. You're saying just have an ethernet go from the pc to the xbox right? Damnit now I'm leaning towards xbox. The better controller and the better gta/rdr....

Upvote 0
I had the RROD on my 360 in early 2009 about 8 months after I bought it, mine was the latest revision at the time of purchase. I sent it to Microsoft and received my original box back (I marked it in a clever place so I'd know upon return). On the receipt I received it told me exactly what they'd done which was replaced the guts with the latest (and still current) revision hardware. Haven't had a single issue since.

I did not pay a cent for any of this service, all I did was goto the Xbox Australia site and register my console for repair. 1.5 days later I received a pre-paid satchel for the console, sent it off the same day following their instructions. The next week I had my console back and working complete with my warranty extended for an extra 2 years. The point is they really do have a good support structure around the RROD these days.

Now, the time when my brothers PS3 just decided it would stop reading disks after applying the firmware a game said it needed from the game disk. That was fun, Sony ****ed us around for nearly 4 weeks :mad:

Upvote 0
Well I should not really post, because I' ve never owned an (a***) XBox but...

2 PS broke.
1 PS2 DVD Reader dead and then another circuit problem, both fixed without charge*.

*This does not compensate for two angry kid's...:D

PS3 doing very well since release day, NP.

I have to date, completely destroyed 3 (three) Sony Pads... And a small television, playing that Baseball game on the Nintendo WiWi thing

I have a Local Juristic Interdiction to play Consoles :pS :Game Cube :Wii.
Of which I am very proud...

BTW, I very nearly bought an*** XBox with Splinter Cells, in it, Today.

The Pads are a little over the top, price wise, if you want my advice...

And dat's da troof...

Upvote 0
Haha saying its more reliable but still broke down doesn't make me feel better lol. I get your point though. And the console will end up being right next to my pc most likely cause I wanna use my HDTV monitor for it. You're saying just have an ethernet go from the pc to the xbox right? Damnit now I'm leaning towards xbox. The better controller and the better gta/rdr....
Nono its both consoles. Just need a crossover (important detail) ethernet cable, plug one end into PC one into console and you have to do some futzing around with your connection settings. But there are youtube vids on how to do it. I think I've done it a few times so I can do it without external aid. Its annoying though if you can't get it quite right. But its better than the $100 adapter shaft.

Upvote 0
Pic doesn't work.

I really wish this would come out on PC, we can only hope. R* would have to be insane not to do it, considering how popular the game is. If it will be better optimized than GTAIV and won't have DRM it could be a great PC game. And no, I'm not one of those GTAIV haters by the way.

Is that quote in your sig real?? If so, :eek:

Upvote 0