• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pay for dlc?

Pay for dlc?

• I would pay for DLC in a heartbeat!

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • Depending on the price and the content provided I dont mind paying for dlc.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I would never pay for dlc!

Votes: 18 20.9%

• Total voters
I do indeed see your point there....but who says we need new features? I would be happy with more of what we currently have. MORE MORE! Level 10 perks, tons of more achievements, new maps, and new perks. I think this game is FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR(and i really stress the FARRRR part) from being dropped in order to produce KF2.

I think a game like this can come to a SCREEEEEEEEECHING halt. You spend each day leveling perks to 6 and getting all the achievements, when all thats done...the games going to feel pointless to play after that. Now im only speaking for myself...I would not play this game anymore once I have all max perks and all achievements. I would have to wait for further content updates. Im sure many other players would agree with me on this topic.

I would rather not see something like that occur, thats why we need a BUTT load of content, and the only way I think were gunna see that is if we fork up some CASH!

P.S. Thanks for the seriousness and helpful suggestions you guys have been taking with this topic

I agree with the need of a huge amount of new content such as achievements (not sure about the perk levels.), and being far from needing a KF2, but most of those need to be free, for TWI to keep their player base around 1k+.

Before we get game updates, we need to do something about that web design. xD

Upvote 0
I agree with the need of a huge amount of new content such as achievements (not sure about the perk levels.), and being far from needing a KF2, but most of those need to be free, for TWI to keep their player base around 1k+.

Before we get game updates, we need to do something about that web design. xD

Lol @ web design. I wish i could say it needs to be free, I dont think it NEEDS to...itd be nice, but I just dont see us getting much updates if they HAVE to be free...you know? TWI has to watch their pennies being they are a small company. If the money is not coming in from this game I feel as if we wont be getting much updates : (. Which I completely understand and support TWI if that's their view on this situation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We have to remember that KF is not the only game that TWI is holding over their shoulders. This is both good and bad. HoS is going to be a huge ordeal, and it should being in a lot of money for TripWire, so this will help fun future games, and more content for killing floor. Official maps are nice, but since we have a ton of map developers already playing this game, they should focus less on maps and more on weapons and equipment, or maybe abilities mentioned on another thread ([url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=41670[/URL] )(<-linked), since it is just as important to implement new content to increase game play capabilities.

The idea im trying to get across is that tripwire is not completely broke, and they are working on a new source of revenue for future projects. If it comes down to DLC, I am sure players will buy it, depending on what it is, but if they go too overboard and split the community, then they will have the opposite effect, meaning they will gain money, but lose players.

Upvote 0
Gain money and lose players huh? Ya I could see that occuring, that's where TWI would have to be careful, I think splitting the community would be terrible, but being able to play with your friends whether they purchase dlc or not is the way to go. Now I understand KF is not their primary source of income...or if any at all anymore, but why would a company spend time on a game if they are not going to make money off of it, I think they would rather spend time on other games. I just pray for dlc and think it would shoot this games population right back up.

If they do dlc right I think everyone will be happy.

Reactions: Nelorzoul
Upvote 0
its more than just a skin, its a whole new model, with whole new sounds, and whole new animations. maybe charge 5 dollars for that. id rather it be done professionally by TW, they rule at making weapons and id be happy to pay 2$ - 5$ per weapon like for example:

instead of a 9mm beretta, i can use a 9mm glock.

instead of a bullpup, i can use a p90

instead of a lever action, i can use a enfield

etc, same stats, same cost, just a different option that doesnt split apart the community.

Thats what I do with source games, use diff models and custom textures.
Sucks that the Uengine checks every file against the server. How hard would it be to add a simple whitelist to servers that doesn't check certain files and to be able to use custom models / textures online.

Upvote 0
We have to remember that KF is not the only game that TWI is holding over their shoulders. This is both good and bad. HoS is going to be a huge ordeal, and it should being in a lot of money for TripWire, so this will help fun future games, and more content for killing floor. Official maps are nice, but since we have a ton of map developers already playing this game, they should focus less on maps and more on weapons and equipment, or maybe abilities mentioned on another thread (http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=41670http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=41670 )(<-linked), since it is just as important to implement new content to increase game play capabilities.

The idea im trying to get across is that tripwire is not completely broke, and they are working on a new source of revenue for future projects. If it comes down to DLC, I am sure players will buy it, depending on what it is, but if they go too overboard and split the community, then they will have the opposite effect, meaning they will gain money, but lose players.

From a different perspective though, I'm sure people who buy HoS will be disappointed to find out that a portion of the money they paid for that game will be going to KF updates; if I didn't play KF and I only played HoS I know I would. A lot of games with paid for DLC have a very large playerbase, and I'm sure a transition from free to paid will lose TWI a lot of KF players - but they will also bring in a new playerbase. There are those who want to pay, who want to support the developers with as much money as they can - simply because they don't mind paying for a game experience that is continually updating and changing (as a result of the funding). Then there are those who don't wish to pay, which is fine, but it is ultimately a decision that TWI will have to make. Do they keep content updates free but far less frequent, or do they go for BIG pay for updates with much more frequent releases? It's definitely a tough choice, and although choosing to go for a pay for dlc model may lose KF a lot of players, I feel that it will also bring in a host of new players - not to say that since there will be new people the old doesn't matter, but there will still be a community for this game.

As for how pay for DLC will split the community? I don't see it happening, to be honest. A majority of KF players had no problem spending, what was it 2$ on the model packs? If TWI were to make a perk dlc for example, I could see them charging between 5 and 10$ for it, obviously scaling with the quantity of the content. Assuming the aforementioned "perk dlc" was in fact just a simple perk addition to the game, I could see it definitely being around 5 to 8$. That's 3 or 6 more dollars respectively than a model pack costs (really not a lot of money at all). Now 5 or 8$, which is a very small cost to us, being purchased by 1k+ people = enough of an incentive to have made that DLC available in the first place, as well as possible funding for the next DLC, which will then provide funding for the next DLC, and then possibly even an expansion or something. Nobody's saying that any of this DLC is going to be madly expensive, but it doesn't necessarily have to be cheap either - that choice is up to TWI. As for those who don't have credit cards, it wouldn't be all too hard for TWI to figure out alternate payment methods - perhaps a retail box with a cd-key? I don't want to go too far with that subject, as I am sure that can probably get costly in it's own right, but the options are there. Ultimately it is up to TWI to figure out what's best for keeping the game fresh at a somewhat persistent rate, however it's also the community's job to keep TWI aware of what is desired as well as how they can go about doing things without losing players due to lack of content or price of content.

tl;dr...haha.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I would not mind a paid perk. It's more content for the game I love and it gives TWI some support.

It's kind of a big step, though. Think back to the complaints about the skin DLCs! People moaned about cosmetic content they're missing out on and hinted that adding these paid DLCs is a slippery slope.

So you have to think about why those people were unhappy about the paid skins. I think the reason is because they're missing out on game content. A paid perk would be a large amount of gameplay that you're missing out on.

So in my humble opinion, TWI should consider sticking with the cosmetic paid DLCs for a while longer, and then consider a more significant DLC.
Some examples of cosmetic changes that would be really nifty - New voice set; weapon skin pack;

Upvote 0
Personally I would not mind a paid perk. It's more content for the game I love and it gives TWI some support.

It's kind of a big step, though. Think back to the complaints about the skin DLCs! People moaned about cosmetic content they're missing out on and hinted that adding these paid DLCs is a slippery slope.

So you have to think about why those people were unhappy about the paid skins. I think the reason is because they're missing out on game content. A paid perk would be a large amount of gameplay that you're missing out on.

So in my humble opinion, TWI should consider sticking with the cosmetic paid DLCs for a while longer, and then consider a more significant DLC.
Some examples of cosmetic changes that would be really nifty - New voice set; weapon skin pack;

VOICE SET! I like that idea! weapon skin pack isn't bad either. I like this idea.

Upvote 0
VOICE SET! I like that idea! weapon skin pack isn't bad either. I like this idea.

I agree that's a good idea, I like that...but gameplay content too!

The game started out with over 20k players...right(that's what I read in another post)? I feel that the people still playing this game are the hardcore fans. I don't think people who are crazy about the game would complain about dlc...in fact they would love it I'm sure.

I'm reallll hardcore I gots my KF hat and shirt! Lol

Upvote 0
Bad DLC: Gives players an advantage over those who don't buy the DLC in multiplayer games.

Acceptable DLC: Gives players items or skins that don't affect gameplay.

Good DLC: Well, these are nothing more than expansion packs called DLC because they are delivered via digital distribution.

I would be fully willing to pay for a nice Killing Floor expansion pack. I hate these nickel and dime DLC schemes you see these days, I'd rather have a nice fully realized expansion like Opposing Force or Brood War.

Upvote 0
I do indeed see your point there....but who says we need new features? I would be happy with more of what we currently have. MORE MORE! Level 10 perks, tons of more achievements, new maps, and new perks. I think this game is FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR(and i really stress the FARRRR part) from being dropped in order to produce KF2.

I think a game like this can come to a SCREEEEEEEEECHING halt. You spend each day leveling perks to 6 and getting all the achievements, when all thats done...the games going to feel pointless to play after that. Now im only speaking for myself...I would not play this game anymore once I have all max perks and all achievements. I would have to wait for further content updates. Im sure many other players would agree with me on this topic.

I would rather not see something like that occur, thats why we need a BUTT load of content, and the only way I think were gunna see that is if we fork up some CASH!

P.S. Thanks for the seriousness and helpful suggestions you guys have been taking with this topic

saying that the game is by nature doomed to die out is ignorant. many of us played the mod for years (ive played the mod for 4), without achievements, without perks. how did we keep playing the game for so long without these things? the game was difficult, there were always some new maps to check out, and we all had a good time laughing and joking around. if retail was more challenging, ppl would continue to play - but also, perks have ruined things a bit because now everyone is so perk crazy sadly.

Upvote 0
saying that the game is by nature doomed to die out is ignorant. many of us played the mod for years (ive played the mod for 4), without achievements, without perks. how did we keep playing the game for so long without these things? the game was difficult, there were always some new maps to check out, and we all had a good time laughing and joking around. if retail was more challenging, ppl would continue to play - but also, perks have ruined things a bit because now everyone is so perk crazy sadly.

Perhaps saying it would die could be ignorant. I have 5 people on vent right now and all say that once they have max perks and all achievements they will not play anymore until a new gameplay update. I completely agree with them, I don't like playing games that you don't gain anything in. If you play a game for 10 hours one day, log off, and the next day when you play again your playing the same crap with no gain no difference. I personally hate games like that...that's why I used to play warcraft source and not normal css.

Well what I'm trying to say is I'm sure tons of players would quit when there's nothing else to gain. People like to see progress and enjoy being rewarded when playing a game. I just feel that in order for people to stay interested...new content that adds stuff to gain must be released, more perks, increased perk level cap, more maps, and more achievements for the new perks and new maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Perhaps saying it would die could be ignorant. I have 5 people on vent right now and all say that once they have max perks and all achievements they will not play anymore until a new gameplay update. I completely agree with them, I don't like playing games that you don't gain anything in. If you play a game for 10 hours one day, log off, and the next day when you play again your playing the same crap with no gain no difference. I personally hate games like that...that's why I used to play warcraft source and not normal css.

Well what I'm trying to say is I'm sure tons of players would quit when there's nothing else to gain. People like to see progress and enjoy being rewarded when playing a game. I just feel that in order for people to stay interested...new content that adds stuff to gain must be released, more perks, increased perk level cap, more maps, and more achievements for the new perks and new maps.

In short, I agree. What is there to gain when all has been gained? There has to be more, good games should never have to go without - it's how games are today. Games used to be played simply because they were fun, it started out with pong and that was played because...well..it was fun - there was nothing out like that at the time. It's 2010 now, and people can do a lot of different things for entertainment, anybody can play any game simply because it's fun. A lot of the gaming community these days wants things to earn in the games they play - that's when achievements started to become a standard in games both online and off. We're starting to grow once more, however. No longer must a game be an MMO for people to want to get new things in it. People want special abilities, items, weapons, enhancements, etc. Not saying that KF needs "special abilities" and "items", but I think you get what I mean. People want things to earn and things to do with the things the earn, it's a fact. Some people like their game experience set in stone - they want to play what they bought and they don't want change, and they certainly don't want to pay for it. That's fine and to be honest I feel that way about several different games. I cannot deny however that, generally, I want my game experience to be updated, upgraded, and enhanced as time goes on - I'm willing to pay for that, without question. Many people seem to think having an extra perk that requires payment gives the wealthy an advantage over others - I like to take that into a different perspective. Should any perk provide an advantage over another? I think not. I think the developers intended on each perk to be as viable as the next, and the only reason for playing any given perk would be that you enjoy that play style - which takes me to my final point. That's what a perk upgrade would be: an additional play style. If the new perk doesn't suit your play style then you need not waste your money on buying it. Some people would dislike the fact that, even though they don't like the new perk, they're being limited. Well let me ask you, for arguments sake, do you feel limited if a friend is going to a gay bar and you're not allowed in? What would you be doing there in the first place if you're not into men? (If you're homosexual then I'm sure you can still get my point regardless) What would you be doing buying a perk if you don't like it in the first place? If you do like the perk enough then it shouldn't be a problem to buy it, the price they charge really couldn't be all that high. The quality of this game is worth a LOT more than the mere 20$ TWI asked for it. I wouldn't even consider complaining about paid for DLC until the total amount of paid DLC released equals what I think the game SHOULD be worth - around 50 or 60$.

Upvote 0
In short, I agree. What is there to gain when all has been gained? There has to be more, good games should never have to go without - it's how games are today. Games used to be played simply because they were fun, it started out with pong and that was played because...well..it was fun - there was nothing out like that at the time. It's 2010 now, and people can do a lot of different things for entertainment, anybody can play any game simply because it's fun. A lot of the gaming community these days wants things to earn in the games they play - that's when achievements started to become a standard in games both online and off. We're starting to grow once more, however. No longer must a game be an MMO for people to want to get new things in it. People want special abilities, items, weapons, enhancements, etc. Not saying that KF needs "special abilities" and "items", but I think you get what I mean. People want things to earn and things to do with the things the earn, it's a fact. Some people like their game experience set in stone - they want to play what they bought and they don't want change, and they certainly don't want to pay for it. That's fine and to be honest I feel that way about several different games. I cannot deny however that, generally, I want my game experience to be updated, upgraded, and enhanced as time goes on - I'm willing to pay for that, without question. Many people seem to think having an extra perk that requires payment gives the wealthy an advantage over others - I like to take that into a different perspective. Should any perk provide an advantage over another? I think not. I think the developers intended on each perk to be as viable as the next, and the only reason for playing any given perk would be that you enjoy that play style - which takes me to my final point. That's what a perk upgrade would be: an additional play style. If the new perk doesn't suit your play style then you need not waste your money on buying it. Some people would dislike the fact that, even though they don't like the new perk, they're being limited. Well let me ask you, for arguments sake, do you feel limited if a friend is going to a gay bar and you're not allowed in? What would you be doing there in the first place if you're not into men? (If you're homosexual then I'm sure you can still get my point regardless) What would you be doing buying a perk if you don't like it in the first place? If you do like the perk enough then it shouldn't be a problem to buy it, the price they charge really couldn't be all that high. The quality of this game is worth a LOT more than the mere 20$ TWI asked for it. I wouldn't even consider complaining about paid for DLC until the total amount of paid DLC released equals what I think the game SHOULD be worth - around 50 or 60$.

BOOM! Exactly what I'm going for!

Upvote 0
I'd love to see some major DLC's, I'd buy 'em in a heartbeat. Maybe something like what Tripwire did with Red Orchestra when they released Darkest Hour and Mare Nostrum. In Killing Floor's case, I'd love to see a DLC that brings the mod version into retail, or maybe something that adds more maps, voices, weapons and Specimen skins, something a player made mod can't do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another good point I just thought of is as follows. TWI makes games as a company because they're a business, they do this because it's their career - they make money from it. Since they release free updates its safe to say that almost all of their income is from people purchasing the games they make. Once those purchases are made, that's it - income drops steadily the longer the game is out. If they don't charge for any DLC then they HAVE to keep making new games to sustain themselves, which is fine of course if that's what they wish to do. I would, however, much rather pay for DLC for a game they already have out, a game that I already love, rather than having them create a brand new game from scratch to make money simply because nobody wants to pay for DLC. I think paid for DLC is a very smart idea financially for TWI. I think that ultimately a majority of the playerbase of KF will be happy with the paid for DLC because it means that the game they love can be improved without costing TWI or the players a lot of money - which means more content, more fun, and more replayability. If they can keep one game alive through the use of paid for DLC then they can earn enough money to focus a nice chunk of time upon that game. That also frees them up from having to make new games simply for the sake of income - which means when they DO release a new game, the quality of that game will be that much higher.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I play a game for the fun of it and personally find perks and achievements... annoying.

As far as paying for dlc, I think it is fine as long as it doesn't give benefits or extra perks abilities over players that don't buy, or if it doesn't split the game or community into two.

I'd prefer to see expansions or benefits (or perk level increases) to be universal to all players who have purchased the game.

Upvote 0
@Nekrage and Nelorzoul
So you only play a game as long as the devs put something in front of you and say "get this?' That is really sad.

I picked up demon souls and played it because there is a challenge to the game. Sometimes it is unfair and annoying but mostly the game grinds you into the ground with shear legitimate difficulty. But that's a good thing because when you finally get good at it then you have a real sense of self-satisfaction.

Granted KF isn't quite like this but I myself have played KF for three years. I have been really bored lately because there is no reason to play the game when you can walk through it. Lately my group has been playing with local low level perks on mission maps for fun.

As for DLC, nothing that fractures the community through incompatibility (including multiplayer expansion packs) or is advantageous to players that buy it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Nekrage and Nelorzoul
So you only play a game as long as the devs put something in front of you and say "get this?' That is really sad.

I picked up demon souls and played it because there is a challenge to the game. Sometimes it is unfair and annoying but mostly the game grinds you into the ground with shear legitimate difficulty. But that's a good thing because when you finally get good at it then you have a real sense of self-satisfaction.

Granted KF isn't quite like this but I myself have played KF for three years. I have been really bored lately because there is no reason to play the game when you can walk through it. Lately my group has been playing with local low level perks on mission maps for fun.

As for DLC, nothing that fractures the community through incompatibility (including multiplayer expansion packs) or is advantageous to players that buy it.

Rofl demon souls that's really sad. Anyway the point of this forum topic is to assist TWI in making their decision...not gunna argue with you. I like games with something to gain, and you like terrible games...to each their own.

Upvote 0
Rofl demon souls that's really sad. Anyway the point of this forum topic is to assist TWI in making their decision...not gunna argue with you. I like games with something to gain, and you like terrible games...to each their own.

You fail at life for thinking your opinion is better. "You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake, You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else, We are all part of the same compost heap."

Me as a KF fan, I would buy any DLC that came out... Pink Fluffy Monstah Mut for 10$ by TWI I would probally pay for <3
but just my fail psychology, If TWI did make DLC for like 20$ naturally people would want too buy the DLC and of course if players couldn't they would play KF till they could afford it, then go on with KF and keep playing. However if its around 10$ and lower players instantly buy it and think KF is never going to update. When people think of DLC they think more stuff, people like stuff, people buy stuff. Most people don't see content they see stuff.

I believe people think if a game company makes some 50$ update(map pack/tweaks... etc.) every week the game is actually progressing, when in all actuality any company can do it :p the beauty of KF they make you pay for the most useless things, Skins! They make you feel different from other players but really they are useless! They give free weapons, and perks! THATS AWESOME.

But in my opinion~ I WOULD BUY ANYTHING BY TWI's KF!

Last edited:
Upvote 0