• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Marketing

BL Nobody has said anything about advertisements and commercials or whatever in this thread, everybody knows that TV advertisements are super expensive. That is exactly why people are talking about social media and word of mouth advertising. And that is exactly what tripwire themselves have stated as their primary source of advertising in previous games, where hos will get a more elaborate marketing campaign.

And I've never said that I'd think it would be a good tactic if TWI would show wips and release all information as they get it. I've said the opposite that the hype train would run out of hype near release if they would do that.

IMO, they (TWI) said they show stuff if they think its the right time. And, tbh if people hear like "ww2 shooter" nowadays its initialy "blargh not again" reaction.
Which is why I've said multiple times in the past that I hope TWI will battle that specific prejudice in their marketing. heck I even made a thread about it once. http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=35693

Another clich

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what discussion ? After reading this thread again all i gathered was "hey i know how it could be better" "hey i wish there whould be more info" and the usuall "zets and bs posting walloftext noone boothers to read or cares about"...

;)

I'm with Zets here, it's an amicable discussion that seems to be getting right up your nose, I suggest a nice ***** walk :)

Edit: LOL, the word behind the asterix's is b r i s k btw, not at all rude :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Hackel
Upvote 0
Its not fully representative but its the best there is for polling the current roost community. The majority of all players never speaks out, making it very hard to obtain their information. Using statistic methods you can obtain a lot of information (which is why elaborate stat tracking about game play would be nice in hos so it can be used to tweak things).

TWI at times uses the forums to directly poll the forums their opinion, but decides for themselves what to do with that info. For instance during the mod there was a poll if cross-hairs should be optional to which people voted yes. But take a look at this for instance: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=38123.

There are of course loads of other communities twi will try to attract as well, for which twi might read the other forums (like the valve ones) or play competitors games to see strong points and weaknesses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sorry for the delay but i decided to take a break to let some trolling fade away....apparently, it hasn't improved much but i shall press on regardless! oh and while zets and i may not be professionals (yet?) at least we can for the most part carry on civil, constructive discussion, providing support to make claims and explore ideas. what's more "mature", that or trolling and contributing nothing of value to the thread? :cool:

Again with your plane example, there is no estimate given regarding completion of building the plane. Waiting for it to depart is something you generally shouldn't do.

even though i really don't wanna continue to debate about the best analogy for the situation, but what does the plane being built have to do with the point? i think what you were trying to say is that the destination (the game) has to still be built or there would be no need to take a trip there. you would be correct in making that point and i did not think of that while making the example. but if you look at the rest of the example, it provides a lot of valid points.

anyway, the marketing began last May when the game was confirmed. it doesn't just start and stop but it's a continual process. so let's move on and look at more marketing strategies that could be implimented at some point for HOS.

i like to keep stressing the trending use of social media marketing. for anyone that followed the GDC in march, there were some featured presentations and writeups regarding the ever increasing and successfull use of this marketing outlet. the story in the following link is a little long, but it's a very interesting read......and yes, if you have the time to read posts such as this, or actually to even visit an online discussion forum in general, then you've obviously got some free time on your hands :p

[URL="http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3831086/Social+Media+Marketing+Makes+More+Money.htm"][url]http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3831086/Social+Media+Marketing+Makes+More+Money.htm[/URL][/URL]

actually, this forum for example IS one of many forms of SMM. Steam, facebook, twitter, youtube etc.... are all other huge outlets companies can use for cheap and effective marketing. i am always amazed when i look at Facebook's numbers....#2 most viewed site in the world, over 400,000,000 users and the 70% majority of users being people between the ages of 14-34, which us the typical target market for video games.

oh, a bit unrelated to my previous topic but still part of marketing.....something i've noticed on steam over the years, the "squad pack". 4 game copies together for a substantial discount = insta clan builder. huge help for bulstering the clan community.

Upvote 0
The thing is if there is anything that TWI has done well its interaction with the community. And that is part of social marketing which includes social media marketing. As the only costs with that kind of marketing is the time you put into it, tripwire probably had no other choice at point of release of roost. So the can improve things and make the marketing on those channels more effective (beside being more active with it) which is were the real parts of marketing that is probably way over our hats comes into play, but its not like they don't use it yet.

Yes a lot of companies start the hype train with the announcement of the title. But it depends on the situation. The thing is that I think that tripwire most likely announced HOS for the sake of the current community as we were all waiting on something new to come. But didn't even know if it would be Red Orchestra Space Battles or the My little Pony adventures.

When killingfloor came out it was i think pretty smart to release the hos news as well so news could be bundled and deals could be made, and RO fans that felt disappointed with a zombie game were reassured that TWI worked on HOS as well.

The thing is if you want continuous regular biweekly updates directly after the announcement of a game. Then if 1C's prediction is correct HOS simply wouldn't have been announced yet. Like was the case with Killingfloor and Roost where the release after the announcement was like a short space of time.

And for me by far I rather know now what I know now, than if i would have to wait another half year for the first bit of info whether the game was actually a sequel to ro or not.

Being able to post suggestions of a game in alpha stage, brings great benefits that we are able to share our opinions on news items that are released. TWI can then review those thoughts against their own thoughts and possibly implement things. As new features and stuff are still being added on a probably daily basis.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well i dont have enough time and my english isnt good enough that i could read all Zetsumeis post in thise thread.

Anyways, i should graduate from university this year from kind of
information technology business (IT-Tradenomi) studyline.
And i have spent last year doing entrepreneur course. Doing real
business (advertisement) with real companies.

Does this make me a somekind of Expert, NO

But i have learned, that if there is just enough people throwing
lot of ideas, even the stupid ones there comes allways the smart
idea finally and it needs those 100 stupid ones first.

And on that process i believe it doesnt matter are you expert or not.
Ideas doesnt come from education or expirience they come from
deepest place in your mind and thats why ordinary people are as good
as experts in finding out ideas.

Offcourse experts know how to make them real.
Thats why i believe that its important to throw ideas and
i believe that TWI boys read these posts.

So BlackLabel take it easy. :)

Upvote 0
thank god you are all marketing experts...:rolleyes:

Are you a pro football players or a pro in any other sport?:rolleyes: Nope, didn't think so. I imagine when you watch the games you never ever throw your hands in the the air and scream at the tele about the dumb moves or what they should have done. What player the team should have bought or sold. Nope, you would have never, ever done that since you have never been in pro sports........So what would YOU know about that?

See how that works. As a consumer you can disagree about the way a product is being handled. You don't need to be an absolute know-it-all expert in the field.

Upvote 0
Are you a pro football players or a pro in any other sport?:rolleyes: Nope, didn't think so. I imagine when you watch the games you never ever throw your hands in the the air and scream at the tele about the dumb moves or what they should have done. What player the team should have bought or sold. Nope, you would have never, ever done that since you have never been in pro sports........So what would YOU know about that?

See how that works. As a consumer you can disagree about the way a product is being handled. You don't need to be an absolute know-it-all expert in the field.

No, you certainly dont. But like it is with football, you shouldnt expect the team to change things the way you like them just cause you complained...

Upvote 0
i like the "new" direction being taken with the Steam OGG (official game groups).......especially taken from what Ramm said here:

posted by [TW]Ramm-Jaeger2 @ 04:09PM on May 18, 2010

Welcome to the Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad Official Game Group. Keep a close eye on this group for information and updates on the progress of the development of the game. We'll post information here you won't see any place else, so come back often.

a step in the right direction for me. perhaps feedback/suggestions from threads like this have been read and maybe even taken a bit seriously? :eek:

Upvote 0
perhaps feedback/suggestions from threads like this have been read and maybe even taken a bit seriously?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is the first time I've ever read this thread ;) Blogging on the OGG has always been part of the marketing plan. We're going to use the OGG to put out regular smaller news updates. These will generally be the type of thing that a game news website or magazine wouldn't usually run - WIP character or weapon models, stories about the game's development, shots of maps in development, etc. We'll also throw in the occasional really tasty nugget. But the goal with the OGG is to first keep the current RO fans fed with information about the game, and second to grow awareness of the game to the Steam fanbase.

One word of caution about the OGG, there are only so much content in the game. And some of you (bswearer you are one of the worst) are complaining that "they haven't REALLY shown us anything new, they keep showing us the same stuff" about some of the PR we've done. Well, if you want regular news updates, you might just see 100 screenshots of the same map from 100 different angles ;) You can't have it both ways, either you get regular updates with lots of overlap, or updates that are far apart that are are always all "new" stuff.

For big news we'll continue to do exclusives through big websites and magazines like we have done in the past such as PC Gamer, IGN/VE3D, The Escapist, etc. And those of you saying "They always use some website I've never heard of", don't assume because you, or you and your 5 buddies don't go to a website that "noone" does. We've got market research and hard data about how many visits websites get, and we use that data to choose where we give our exclusives. And we spread the stories around. But, you can't just dribble this news out every week. You have to save some big nuggets for these sites/mags, or they won't run the stories.

Some have said we never did any marketing for KF. This is very hilarious, as not only did we have ads on several major gaming websites, we also had a full page add in PC Gamer. This marketing for the last update resulted in a MASSIVE sales boost and put the game in front of millions of poeple. And this is just a drop in the bucket compared to what is planned for ROHOS.

And if anyone doubts the word is getting out, just go google "red orchestra rising storm" and see how many websites ran the story. Sites all over such as IGN, PaperRockShotGun, ShackNews, Kotaka, etc ran the story, the list goes on and on.

So I will just leave you with this - be patient, there is a plan, and we're working to that plan. ROHOS isn't coming out next week, there is plenty of time to market it, and everyone will know about it by the time we are done.

P.S. - We have a youtube channel, and have for AGES:
http://www.youtube.com/user/tripwireinteractive

Upvote 0
Yeah, well thats all fine and good, John (may I call you John?), but shouldn't you really be focusing on handing flyers out to the kids as they board the school busses in Atlanta? We did that when I was in grade school and you'd be amazed at the response we generated for our bake sales. And I'm an engineering graduate with a minor in marketing, I'm also a consumer, and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I know my chit. And c'mon, you wrote a whole page and never gave us any new stuff....What's up with that?

Floyd < tongue in cheek or it doesn't count>

Last edited:
Upvote 0