• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pay for dlc?

Pay for dlc?

• I would pay for DLC in a heartbeat!

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • Depending on the price and the content provided I dont mind paying for dlc.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I would never pay for dlc!

Votes: 18 20.9%

• Total voters
I, for one only care for the character packs. If you make a new perk that is DLC "pay up or you don't get it", how would that work weapon wise? Would the weapons still be in the shop for non-DLC players? If not, what would stop the players who cant buy it from picking it up off the body of a player who died, or DLC buyers from dropping it to other players? I appreciate the free content TWI gives us, and I believe TWI should get paid more for the work they do for us when they release new content, but when they start making new weapon skins, and new perks and weapons and charge money, when they've already made most of the stuff they gave for free... Let's just say it would not be my favorite kind of "C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER".

Upvote 0
OK lets get some things straight:

-we dont want DLC that seperates the community

-but we want more than character packs

so back to my idea, weapons that replace other weapons but have the same stats, cost, etc. if anyone can think of anything else then plz do.

How would that work, though? Would players who didn't own the DLC be able to pick them up? Do they disappear on the ground to people who don't own it?

Just so we're clear. Perks, and maps probably won't make good paid DLC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How would that work, though? Would players who didn't own the DLC be able to pick them up? Do they disappear on the ground to people who don't own it?

Just so we're clear. Perks, and maps probably won't make good paid DLC.

yeh, you can pick em up and use em, that would probably sway all the ppl who are all, "thats stupid i dont want that DLC!" because then they will get a taste of it and be like, "ooo i like the ironsights on that glock more than i do the beretta!".. kinda like when you see the DLC skins in game and youre like, "oooo i want to dress like that banana man"

Upvote 0
yeah, you can pick them up and use them, that would probably sway all the people who are all "that's stupid, I don't want that DLC!" because then they will get a taste of it and be like "oh, I like the iron sight on that Glock more than I do the Beretta!" kind of like when you see the DLC skins in game, and you're like, "oh, I want to dress like that banana man!"

That is exactly what I want. that way, other players get a taste of the DLC, and they can sort of "try it before they buy it." It might be on expense of someone else, but players will buy stuff they like if they get a sample.

also, I hope you don't mind.. The quote is your post, just "grammar nazi'd" up. I hate the red squiggly lines. xD

Upvote 0
You can make a content update with new weapons and a perk for example, and make the weapons available to all, but the perks available only to those who paid for the DLC. So basically you can try out those weapons, hell you can even use them whenever you want - but if you decide you really like them then you can shell out the cost to enjoy increased benefits with them. If you dislike the weapons, then you can just avoid purchasing the dlc. Not really much at a loss. I'd say that its a decently fair trade for the sake of new content. Everybody gets to enjoy something, even if they don't want to pay.

Upvote 0
Im so glad this topic is actually being considered. Thank you guys for not turning it into a flame fest.

Anyway, I think the matter of how it should be done is really something TWI has to figure out and do on their own, perhaps a free trial of the dlc for a weekend..or w.e? Moving on, I think TWI really needs to consider their financial gain here. I dont think we will see much added to KF if they cant gain something from it. Now that may anger some people...but in a way i do understand. Im just kind of worried that KF will become that game everyone used to play a LOOOOOONG time ago.

I think we have to think about both TWI and ourselves. Gotta be fair now lol :)

Ok now for my idea: I was thinking perhaps having alterations on guns? Perhaps you could *Upgrade* your current weapons. Now dont flip out when i say this...perhaps using a "credit" system in which we can purchase lets say 100 credits for 1$. In the main menu there is a "Credit Shop" in which you can spend your credits to upgrade your rate of fire on your Scar....or change the sights on a weapon. Perhaps faster reloading with the flamethrower.

Well the credit system is just another thought....let me know what you think. I definitely think TWI could release maps that are completely free for everyone(so no players will be locked out of certain maps), we could then all join up and play w/e perks we purchased, or new weapons we purchased.

It all boils down to teamwork, This games a coop game, if your teammates are stronger....you are stronger. I dont mind playing with someone who has access to a better weapons than me....as long as we can continue to play together.

Keep up the good posts guys AND REMEMBER TO VOTE!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can make a content update with new weapons and a perk for example, and make the weapons available to all, but the perks available only to those who paid for the DLC. So basically you can try out those weapons, hell you can even use them whenever you want - but if you decide you really like them then you can shell out the cost to enjoy increased benefits with them. If you dislike the weapons, then you can just avoid purchasing the dlc. Not really much at a loss. I'd say that its a decently fair trade for the sake of new content. Everybody gets to enjoy something, even if they don't want to pay.

Great suggestion!

Upvote 0
Im so glad this topic is actually being considered. Thank you guys for not turning it into a flame fest.

Anyway, I think the matter of how it should be done is really something TWI has to figure out and do on their own, perhaps a free trial of the dlc for a weekend..or w.e? Moving on, I think TWI really needs to consider their financial gain here. I dont think we will see much added to KF if they cant gain something from it. Now that may anger some people...but in a way i do understand. Im just kind of worried that KF will become that game everyone used to play a LOOOOOONG time ago.

I think we have to think about both TWI and ourselves. Gotta be fair now lol :)

Ok now for my idea: I was thinking perhaps having alterations on guns? Perhaps you could *Upgrade* your current weapons. Now dont flip out when i say this...perhaps using a "credit" system in which we can purchase lets say 100 credits for 1$. In the main menu there is a "Credit Shop" in which you can spend your credits to upgrade your rate of fire on your Scar....or change the sights on a weapon. Perhaps faster reloading with the flamethrower.

Well the credit system is just another thought....let me know what you think. I definitely think TWI could release maps that are completely free for everyone(so no players will be locked out of certain maps), we could then all join up and play w/e perks we purchased, or new weapons we purchased.

It all boils down to teamwork, This games a coop game, if your teammates are stronger....you are stronger. I dont mind playing with someone who has access to a better weapons than me....as long as we can continue to play together.

Keep up the good posts guys AND REMEMBER TO VOTE!!!

Sorry, man.. I am trying to like you, but you keep digging yourself into a fox hole, and soon it going to be too steep to climb out..

a 1-time buy is fine... but a CREDIT system? You want them to be like every MMO out there, and most of the companies that run those kind of systems are called greedy and selfish.. a few paid DLCs here and there is nothing compared to "spend your cash in large amounts and you get CREDITS!"

So far.. My list is:
Character packs
Changeable weapon skins
No paid DLC perks
No credit system

I'm sorry, but if KF goes to a credit system, I'm just uninstalling, and calling KF a once-good game, im going to deal with another MMO Overpowered cash system.. :/

Upvote 0
Sorry, man.. I am trying to like you, but you keep digging yourself into a fox hole, and soon it going to be too steep to climb out..

a 1-time buy is fine... but a CREDIT system? You want them to be like every MMO out there, and most of the companies that run those kind of systems are called greedy and selfish.. a few paid DLCs here and there is nothing compared to "spend your cash in large amounts and you get CREDITS!"

So far.. My list is:
Character packs
Changeable weapon skins
No paid DLC perks
No credit system

I'm sorry, but if KF goes to a credit system, I'm just uninstalling, and calling KF a once-good game, im going to deal with another MMO Overpowered cash system.. :/

Ya i hear ya man...i was hesitant on that one.....but I agree maybe the credit system is a step to far. But DLC Perks...I would love. Thanks for the opinion.

Upvote 0
Ya i hear ya man...i was hesitant on that one.....but I agree maybe the credit system is a step to far. But DLC Perks...I would love. Thanks for the opinion.

I mean, if it came down to it, I would scrape up the money to get a DLC perk if they made it, but I wouldn't like it... A perk seems like something that should be enjoyed by all. it is practically like saying "hey, congratulations, you just bought Super Smash Bros Brawl. Oh, you wanted to play as Sonic? Well, you can buy him.. there is no unlocking him anymore, after letting you unlock all the characters, we've decided you need to buy sonic."

You give people something in a free DLC, then expect them to buy something similar in a paid DLC, some people will be ticked off.

Upvote 0
I mean, if it came down to it, I would scrape up the money to get a DLC perk if they made it, but I wouldn't like it... A perk seems like something that should be enjoyed by all. it is practically like saying "hey, congratulations, you just bought Super Smash Bros Brawl. Oh, you wanted to play as Sonic? Well, you can buy him.. there is no unlocking him anymore, after letting you unlock all the characters, we've decided you need to buy sonic."

You give people something in a free DLC, then expect them to buy something similar in a paid DLC, some people will be ticked off.

Hmm I see, I understand your view, but if there is a BIG content update something more than is expected in a free update, I think TWI deserves to me...rewarded? I mean its expected with how games are today. Take Borderlands for instance, They release some pretty big content updates for that game in the form of $10 dlc's. The game originally cost $50...I would say more than 20%(i say that because its 20% of the price) of the game is available in the dlc's they provide. I guess im just trying to say...we cannot expect everything free. I would LOVE huge updates..and plenty of them for free, but that's not reasonable in my eyes. Ive seen MANY games more or less dropped by companies because theres no more income coming in from that game. Its great motivation for a company and we get to continue enjoying a great game : )

Sorry for the rant : (

Upvote 0
i want to pay for DLC that gives me the option to choose a gun that is the same as another gun, just a different model. like instead of a bullpup, i can pick the FN P90, same stats, same price, same damage, just diff model and animation.

That's what I have requested a couple times. Build 2 or 3 variants of each base weapon and give them the exact same stats. People who own the dlc will see the new stuff and people who haven't purchased the dlc see the same base weapons. Nothing changes in gameplay either.

Upvote 0
That's what I have requested a couple times. Build 2 or 3 variants of each base weapon and give them the exact same stats. People who own the dlc will see the new stuff and people who haven't purchased the dlc see the same base weapons. Nothing changes in gameplay either.

I think this is a good idea, but i would not exclude gameplay altering content from pay for dlc. Its just the kind of world we live in, we must pay for more. If a Killing Floor 2 is released...do we all expect it to be free? Instead of dropping 20 bucks for KF2, we could spend $5 each on 4 new content patches, which would essentially add enough content to be considered a new game. What im trying to say here is, for a better gaming experience I think we have to spend a little extra...nothing wrong with that.

Upvote 0
I think this is a good idea, but i would not exclude gameplay altering content from pay for dlc. Its just the kind of world we live in, we must pay for more. If a Killing Floor 2 is released...do we all expect it to be free? Instead of dropping 20 bucks for KF2, we could spend $5 each on 4 new content patches, which would essentially add enough content to be considered a new game. What im trying to say here is, for a better gaming experience I think we have to spend a little extra...nothing wrong with that.

With the current features the game can run, I don't think people would be satisfied, and to implement them, we will NEED a KF2.

Upvote 0
I prefer pay for a lot of skin character pack instead of a perk ...

I don't know but buying a lot of skin pack for 2USD its not a problem. Buy paying for a perk ? No. Not the same feeling xD

First off, being a spelling nazi, i must say the spelling of prefer is prefer; not prefere. I'm just trying to help. :eek:

Second, Paying for skins as a DLC, whether character, or as Dex said, weapons, is better than paying for a perk as a DLC. So in this regard i agree with you. It isn't the same feeling.

Upvote 0
With the current features the game can run, I don't think people would be satisfied, and to implement them, we will NEED a KF2.

I do indeed see your point there....but who says we need new features? I would be happy with more of what we currently have. MORE MORE! Level 10 perks, tons of more achievements, new maps, and new perks. I think this game is FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR(and i really stress the FARRRR part) from being dropped in order to produce KF2.

I think a game like this can come to a SCREEEEEEEEECHING halt. You spend each day leveling perks to 6 and getting all the achievements, when all thats done...the games going to feel pointless to play after that. Now im only speaking for myself...I would not play this game anymore once I have all max perks and all achievements. I would have to wait for further content updates. Im sure many other players would agree with me on this topic.

I would rather not see something like that occur, thats why we need a BUTT load of content, and the only way I think were gunna see that is if we fork up some CASH!

P.S. Thanks for the seriousness and helpful suggestions you guys have been taking with this topic

Upvote 0