• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Forum Suggestion: Username Changing

-[SiN]-bswearer

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2008
As there is no general forum suggestions area....

Since people in this community change clan loyalties and usernames all the time, it gets kinda annoying trying to figure out who people are since they can't change their usernames on this site to match whatever they are currently using.

Can it be made so that users have the ability to change their names to match whatever they are currently using?

Just use a username without a darn clan tag in it in the first place, thats what sigs are for. If you let everyone change their usernames whenever they wanted it would become a nightmare keeping track of everything. :eek:

Pretty much this.

i have my signature showing mySteam picture , with my Steam name beneath it.

I change both when i change them on Steam.

The name i have (CandleJack) is the name i use as a base for my Steam names, as i haven't used anything except CandleJack for a long, long time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, we did that actually back in the days. Ask the elite players how it ended. And no, we did not activate the DEVHAX. :p

WTF do you think I said 'you don't want that' for?

I've spent my share of hours getting my *** handed to me by Ramm and Alan and Yoshi.

You too, probably, although I don't recall seeing your name specifically as having killed me.

Upvote 0
Well, we did that actually back in the days. Ask the elite players how it ended. And no, we did not activate the DEVHAX. :p

As far as I know tripwire promised to play the winners of multiple roladder cups but always avoided the actual act of doing it. :p

I know CoreNA tried to go pretty far to make it happen after they won a cup, there were agreements with TWI early on to get some matches up on ROTV even including dates picked. So I'm wondering what competitive clans were played, games against testers don't count because testers aren't a team :p.

So I think its time for a rematch, any of the top ranked teams will undoubtedly accept a challenge from TWI ^^.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
/[TW] clan haxors thread derail :p

(back on topic)

for me personally, i'm not worried about having to change my name, but for the general user population, instances might come up where people have to or just want to change their username/nick. it's users' choice whether or not they want to use their clan tags in their username. actually, if you think about it, it does make a lot of sense to use it. why do TW staff wear [TW] tags in front of their names? to show they are members of the [TW] staff and to help other users better identify the organization to which they represent. likewise many clanners like to wear their tags to identify and represent their organization. so actually to say that "it doesn't make any sense" is really what doesn't make any sense ;)

also it's not just clan tags but full names as well. look at say, deadbolt for example. his name here is [1BF/1R]Terror but he has gone under a different "common name" for a long time. aside from clan changes with tags, it's the general name that the user wishes to update. i remember back a long time ago he even asked me how he could change his name cause he simply wanted more accurate information.

let's address this theoretical "nightmare":

what bad could possibly happen by allowing people to update their contact information? it's more of a "nightmare" having people with outdated, inaccurate identification than it would be to allow people to manually change their username. i doubt many people would really abuse this ability to the extent of for example, changing steam names once a week. if it really became an issue, could you not just remove that individual's permission? even so, what real damage does name changes cause? their forum user id isn't changed, no permissions or usergroup settings are changed, and they can't duplicate another username anyway. think of it like Steam ID, you can change your "nick" but your ID number and name you registered under is the important info that can never be changed. it's all just a matter of what a person wants to be referred to and no "vital" information is changed. it would help the site become more user-friendly and admins/mods would no longer have to be botherd to go in and change people's info.

unless there's some huge security reason that somebody would like to point out as to why it would be an issue, what doesn't make sense is being inefficient for allowing users to update their personal information.

Upvote 0