• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Pacific [Band of Brothers II]

Snafu is the little curly-haired, bug-eyed one who speaks like he's had a minor stroke, right?

He is an interesting character, sure, but he creeps me out a little bit.

..and I don't just mean the pebbles into the open skull scene either.

Hes by far my favorite character in it, he seems to be the most interesting so far in series. That's the best picture I could find of him on google but he doesn't look as mad as he does in the series.

merriell_snafu_shelton.jpg

Upvote 0
I agree he's a great character, for us ignorant euros he seems to perfectly model the inbred redneck from the south states :D

The scene where he starts cutting out gold teeth... Oh man I can take shots of bodies blowing up, limbs flying, guts spilling out, burning alive etc (probably from playing too much violent games), but I had to pause it in that scene, the sound of a knife against bone was just so horrible :(

Upvote 0
Just watched the ninth episode, very impressive. I think it illustrates the **** they were in very well. They show how the war gradually changes the men, something that wasn't shown as much in Band of Brothers.

And yes, SNAFU is awesome. He's also my favourite character. In the latest episodes it seems that even he gets stressed out a bit. That doesn't seem to last very long though, hehe. He adds a nice balance and even a bit of humor. In a way, he's the only sane man of the group. He just doesn't care as much.

Upvote 0
I agree he's a great character, for us ignorant euros he seems to perfectly model the inbred redneck from the south states :D
Wow...odd perception.
Especially since I am one of those inbred rednecks from the south.....

My impression of Snafu has always been that he is a kid from New York City (or some other disfunctional mega-metropolis) who has a few screw loose and is clueless. I guess partly because his accent is so far removed from anything south of the Mason Dixon line and he has never been any kind of human physical specimen , I never once considered him an "outdoor" kid from the south but more of a street kid.

That is one thing that I haven't understood from this series. Where are the tans and/or tan lines (or sunburns for that matter). These guys are white as ghosts when they clean up...

Upvote 0
Wow...odd perception.
Especially since I am one of those inbred rednecks from the south.....

My impression of Snafu has always been that he is a kid from New York City (or some other disfunctional mega-metropolis) who has a few screw loose and is clueless. I guess partly because his accent is so far removed from anything south of the Mason Dixon line and he has never been any kind of human physical specimen , I never once considered him an "outdoor" kid from the south but more of a street kid.

Louisiana, actually. The real Snafu was from there, and the actor ... eh, I've heard better accents, but I've also heard a hell of a lot worse. I spent the best part of ten years in the south, between South Carolina, Jacksonville, Biloxi / Gulfport, etc.

That is one thing that I haven't understood from this series. Where are the tans and/or tan lines (or sunburns for that matter). These guys are white as ghosts when they clean up...

And they're remarkably fit, too. No real signs of malnutrition, beri-beri, malaria, or any of ten million other tropical diseases that waste away the human body and leave it covered in sores, rotting away with fungus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Louisiana, actually. The real Snafu was from there, and the actor ... eh, I've heard better accents, but I've also heard a hell of a lot worse. I spent the best part of ten years in the south, between South Carolina, Jacksonville, Biloxi / Gulfport, etc.

Interesting that he plays a character from Louisiana. I'm from Louisiana. Born in the south part of the state, went to college in the north part of the state, and I currently live in the central part of the state. I spent a great deal of my formative young teenage years overseas and always marveled at the different accents when we'd come home to visit relatives around the state. We've got four or five distinct accents here. Cajun, New Orleans, Northern, Southwestern (I call it cajun-cowboy), and everyone else... But none sound like him....:p

Interesting to me that he even comes across as being southern to anyone.....

Upvote 0
Interesting characters like Captain Andy Haldane, Elmo 'Gunny' Haney, and Merriel "Snafu" Shelton come in half-way through the series and weren't even the main focus of the series.

You really found Haldane interesting? The way he talked and yelled commands by barely moving his mouth was irritating. Most of his lines were the corny dramatic ones as well. In Sledge's book he talks about how much of a great guy he was and how everybody loved him so when he got killed it was a big deal. In the series, I honestly didn't even realize it was him until the scene where they announced he was dead. Very poor job of building Haldane as a character imo.

Of course I agree with Snafu and Gunny as great characters, especially Snafu.

I started the series basically crapping my pants in excitement. Now near the end I just saw this thread and remembered I forgot to watch ep 9. It's a shame it's not even close to the awesome that is BoB.

Upvote 0
Snafu's a great character. Definitely the best in the show. I wish he'd been a main character.

It's funny, I saw the same actor in another show, 24 season 8, where he played a half American half Iranian terrorist and he had that same sort of bugeyed, disturbed feel. Real badass IMO.

Still don't feel the show was up to BOB standards, there were many parts I thought were "heavy handed", over patriotic, and kinda corny. Like the whole super long shot of Basilone dying w/ the sad string music. I don't know, but BOB just had a different way of dealing with the deaths of main characters and it was better done. There was also never a single moment in BOB in which I thought "that could have been done better".

That said I thought the episodes surrounding Peleliu were fantastic. That scene where some japanese soldier shoots a couple Marines in the back only to be butted with the end of a rifle and then stabbed in the neck was brutal. On the whole though, a lot of the characters seem to spout overly dramatic BS at the drop of a hat. Exceptions to this are Snafu, and whoever that older NCO at peleliu is which is what makes their characters great. BOB had none of that, which is why it's better IMO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0