• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Assault rifle w. nade launcher

S3R4PH!M

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2010
OK i hope im not too spammy when i write this.
this idea is originally from Aze in his thread "lots of ideas split # - weapons and perks" or so but i think it's worth to be discussed alone.

This would be an assault rifle which shoots bursts of three shots and as alt fire it would switch to the nade launcher.

The idea with the burst shots is that all other commando weapons just have auto and semi automatic with different mag capacities and damage etc. so the burst shots would be something new.

The nade launcher is there to make the weapon more unique.

Demolitions perk would get a bonus on the nade launcher and Commando perk would get a bonus on the bullets.

For the symbol in the trader menu there would be the commando sign, because the bullets are the primary mode and it(the gun) would be called in the description of the commando perk.

For the model i thought about an M16 with a nade launcher but if you have a better one just write it.

I thougth about a weight of 6 or 7 blocks

For default ammo capacity just suggest yout ideas because i dont know how much would be balanced

pls write serious criticism cause in my opinion it would be great to have something like this in the game.

My initial thought is, is it a standard price or will 1 perk get discount for it? If so which?

My other thought is the Commando has all niches filled at the mintue with 3 weapons ranging in speed, ammo and power. Although this would be good for a demo, it is something the Commando doesn't need.

It would be nice to have an Mp7 like weapon that satisfies 2 uses for the demo, but there isn't really much room for one far as I can see :/

Upvote 0
If you flipped a coin 100 hundred times and it landed on Heads 75 times and Tails 25 times, how many times did I flip the coin.

Over nine thousand times. :rolleyes:

As for the idea, no. I'm against grenade launcher attachments ever since Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

...Although! This could possibly be a Famas. It sounds like one at least. And considering TWI isn't IWNet, I actually think this could work.

Upvote 0
My initial thought is, is it a standard price or will 1 perk get discount for it? If so which?

I think both perks should get a price bonus on it because it is rifle AND explosive

My other thought is the Commando has all niches filled at the mintue with 3 weapons ranging in speed, ammo and power. Although this would be good for a demo, it is something the Commando doesn't need.

Those three weapons are nice but in the end they are the same: an automatic rifle that can switch to semi automatic without any alt fire.
This rifle would be something real new

Upvote 0
I think both perks should get a price bonus on it because it is rifle AND explosive

A fair point, although no other weapon in the game has that... not a reason to exclude it mind you but it does feel a little on the "Must make it fit" sit ;)

Those three weapons are nice but in the end they are the same: an automatic rifle that can switch to semi automatic without any alt fire.
This rifle would be something real new

Oh I agree it'll be something new, and there isn't a great variety in the uses different weapons on Commando, however my point is the Commando has plenty of toys to play with, he is a powerful class. The classes that aren't so powerful are Demoman (which I lean in favour of), Zerker (Just needs his chainsaw fixed really) and Firebug (Yay! Awesome class :D). I am trying to think of a none assault rifle gun that is usuable with a nade launcher... but I'm no gun expert.

Although I think a gun with a nade launcher would greatly benefit the demo (like the Mp7 benefitted the medic, being able to attack and heal without weapon swapping) the Commando simply doesn't need a new weapon.l Thats my ciew on it at least ;)

Upvote 0
Hey! Glad you liked my idea :D Let me answer you thoroughly though:

This would be an assault rifle which shoots bursts of three shots and as alt fire it would switch to the nade launcher.
Well, my thought wasn't that you SWITCH between them, but rather that you just shoot the rifle burst with primary fire, and you fire the grenade with alternate fire (and clicking again on alt fire reloads the grenade launcher).

The idea with the burst shots is that all other commando weapons just have auto and semi automatic with different mag capacities and damage etc. so the burst shots would be something new.

The nade launcher is there to make the weapon more unique.
Exactly! Variety is always nice, no? :)

Demolitions perk would get a bonus on the nade launcher and Commando perk would get a bonus on the bullets.
Once again: EXACTLY my point with this weapon :)
And another thing which benefits the commando: The general reload bonus of the Commando perk also makes the nade launcher reload quicker!

For the symbol in the trader menu there would be the commando sign, because the bullets are the primary mode and it(the gun) would be called in the description of the commando perk.
Stop reading my mind ;)

For the model i thought about an M16 with a nade launcher but if you have a better one just write it.
Well, M16 is a nice choice I guess and it was the initial weapon i had in mind, even though i PERSONALLY dislike the M16 model :p

I thougth about a weight of 6 or 7 blocks
Yeah, i would say 7? Since it has a nade launcher it is both more logical to have it weigh a little more, plus i think that is the most balanced weight.

For default ammo capacity just suggest yout ideas because i dont know how much would be balanced
It should start with 30, BUT, it should only get increases in 3 rounds, since it shoots bursts. So, if the mag size bonus only increases it by 2 rounds, nothing happens. But if it increases by 3-5, it increases by 3 only. (I think you get the point, as the mags must be dividable by 3).

I thank you alot Seraphim for giving this weapon more attention ^^

Upvote 0
A fair point, although no other weapon in the game has that... not a reason to exclude it mind you but it does feel a little on the "Must make it fit" sit ;)

Oh I agree it'll be something new, and there isn't a great variety in the uses different weapons on Commando, however my point is the Commando has plenty of toys to play with, he is a powerful class. The classes that aren't so powerful are Demoman (which I lean in favour of), Zerker (Just needs his chainsaw fixed really) and Firebug (Yay! Awesome class :D). I am trying to think of a none assault rifle gun that is usuable with a nade launcher... but I'm no gun expert.

Although I think a gun with a nade launcher would greatly benefit the demo (like the Mp7 benefitted the medic, being able to attack and heal without weapon swapping) the Commando simply doesn't need a new weapon.l Thats my ciew on it at least ;)

Very nice point! Although, this idea was suggested with consideration of more weapons being added, giving ALL the perks something new (Slug Shotgun for Support, 3 more weps for Firebug, the AR w. nade launcher for Commando+Demolitions, Riot Shield for Zerker, Lee Enfield w. bayonette for Sharpies+Zerker, removing the handguns from Sharpies over to the potential Gunslinger (plus some more weps for the GS too ofc) and the MP5/10 for Medic).

Though, as a standalone added weapon, i entirely agreed that adding this weapon would be very unfair to other perks as the Commando already has a nice weaponry. Just wanted to point that out :)

And a different weapon that can have a Grenade Launcher attached... Hmmmmmm... a Harpoon? :D Nah, jk jk

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very nice point! Although, this idea was suggested with consideration of more weapons being added, giving ALL the perks something new (Slug Shotgun for Support, 3 more weps for Firebug, the AR w. nade launcher for Commando+Demolitions, Riot Shield for Zerker, Lee Enfield w. bayonette for Sharpies+Zerker, removing the handguns from Sharpies over to the potential Gunslinger (plus some more weps for the GS too ofc) and the MP5/10 for Medic).

Though, as a standalone added weapon, i entirely agreed that adding this weapon would be very unfair to other perks as the Commando already has a nice weaponry. Just wanted to point that out :)

And a different weapon that can have a Grenade Launcher attached... Hmmmmmm... a Harpoon? :D Nah, jk jk

This thread, I'm lovin it!

Upvote 0
honestly, the FAMAS F1 with a grenade launcher sounds like a good idea

With only a 25 round magazine and the power of a bull-pup, it could find a niche with demo and commando while not under powering the other rifles.

I would keep the Bullpup weakest though as it has a huge mag. The AR should have somewhere in between the AK47 and the Bullpup. As I look at it, this is how it is listed:

Tier 1 = Bullpup. Weakest damage, but biggest mag and great scope.
Tier 2 = AK47. Second most powerful damage, medium mag size, but not that good ironsight.
Tier 2 = AR+GL. Second weakest damage, medium mag size and not that good ironsight (similar to AK47). Can only shoot in bursts and has a grenade launcher attached under it for aoe situations.
Tier 3 = SCAR. Highest damage and great scope, but has the lowest mag size.

So if we compare the AR to the other 3:

AR is better than Bullpup in firepower and with the GL bonus.
AR is better/worse than Bullpup with the burst fire mode.
AR is worse than Bullpup in mag size and ironsight.

AR is better than AK47 with the GL bonus.
AR and AK47 has similar mag sizes and ironsights.
AR is better/worse with burst fire mode.
AR is worse than AK47 in firepower.

AR is better than SCAR in mag size and with the GL bonus.
AR is better/worse with the burst fire mode.
AR is worse than SCAR in firepower and ironsight.

It really is a good middleground weapon that way, don't you think? :)

Upvote 0
How about FN SCAR-L with attached GL?

VFC_SCARL_EGLM.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would keep the Bullpup weakest though as it has a huge mag. The AR should have somewhere in between the AK47 and the Bullpup.
EXACTLY^^ I thought about that power too.
And the thing with the mag sizes could be solved like this:

In the interface there is the number of 30 shots, if you shoot, there wil go 3 shots away, but in the code the rifle has only 10 shots and every three shot burst takes 1 shot in the code. So you has nothing to be calculated with the mag size bonus of the perks to fit with 3 shots or a multiple number of them

How about FN SCAR-L with attached GL?
Sorry but that would be much overpowered.

Upvote 0
EXACTLY^^ I thought about that power too.
And the thing with the mag sizes could be solved like this:

In the interface there is the number of 30 shots, if you shoot, there wil go 3 shots away, but in the code the rifle has only 10 shots and every three shot burst takes 1 shot in the code. So you has nothing to be calculated with the mag size bonus of the perks to fit with 3 shots or a multiple number of them
STOP THINKING LIKE ME!!! :D
I thought of that too, that you have 10 "rounds" in it and every "round" is a 3 bullet burst, hence not overcomplicating anything with the mag bonus of the commando (but I thought that it might be a silly idea first :p).
Lol... same brainwave level on us or what xDDD

Sorry but that would be much overpowered.
Indeed.

Upvote 0
-.- come on lol

ok if you say that, then ok, but i think another model which doesn't look like one that we already have would be better

It's not overpowered at all.

It's a weapon with 20 rounds less than the L85A2 Carbine (ingame) but with an attached GL to fit in with the thread.

You were probably thinking that all SCARs were the same. You were wrong.

The one you're thinking of is the SCAR-H Mk17 which uses the 7.62x51mm NATO rounds with a 20 round mag.

The one i'm talking about is the SCAR-L Mk16 which uses the 5.56x45mm NATO rounds with a 30 round mag.

There would be no scope, just iron sights, with full auto as a way to balance it out.

The whole point was to have a weapon that looks like the Mk17 because if the trader got the Mk17, then why wouldn't she have access to the Mk16s?

Upvote 0