• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

German Uniform problems

Schuultz

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 5, 2009
Hey,

I just found the new collection of Screenshots from Voodoo Extreme and noticed two small gripes I had with the uniforms of the Germans displayed there.

1)
Spoiler!

The breadbasked in this image is beige/yellow, whereas in reality it would be blue. Only the Austrians had beige/yellow bread bags.
Spoiler!

2)
Spoiler!
In this image, the Stahlhelm appears to be too small for the soldier. Usually, the brim of the helmet is suppposed to go somewhere close to the Antitragus.
Spoiler!

Also, how come none of the soldiers appear to fasten their helmets? Are they supposed to fly off?

Anyway, besides those small criticisms, I'm very excited for the game and can't wait for any new infos about it. Keep up the good work!

Also, how come none of the soldiers appear to fasten their helmets? Are they supposed to fly off?

Many soldiers didn't fasten their helmets IRL because helmets are far more likely to deflect bullets or shrapnel if they aren't fastened so that they will get knocked off if hit with a projectile, kind of on the same principle as getting punched in the face. If you hold your head still, it hurts a lot more than moving with the punch:p

Upvote 0
The breadbasked in this image is beige/yellow, whereas in reality it would be blue. Only the Austrians had beige/yellow bread bags.

They did had tan-brown-like bags aswell. Commonly blue bags are associated with Luftwaffe and military police, but since there was a war going on the supply officers and such did not personally care - at all - was it blue, black, brown or anything as long as it was functional. They weren't huge Mafia capos about that. It's same with all this "Luftwaffe only wore brown leather" stuff - it's inaccurate statement.

Schuultz said:
In this image, the Stahlhelm appears to be too small for the soldier. Usually, the brim of the helmet is suppposed to go somewhere close to the Antitragus.

Considering potential possibilites for person's headsize and the fact not everyone gets correct sized helmet relative to that, it's entirely possible for a soldier to have tad too small - or occasionally even too large - helmet. Based the way you describe how it "must" be I would need 3cm smaller helmet than my head is due the way it's shaped and it's physically impossible to wear one even if you setup the liner as loose as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They did had tan-brown-like bags aswell. Commonly blue bags are associated with Luftwaffe and military police, but since there was a war going on the supply officers and such did not personally care - at all - was it blue, black, brown or anything as long as it was functional.

I might be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that blue was the standard for the Army as well.
You're right, however, that especially later on in the war, the supply officers couldn't care less about looks as long as they functioned correctly. However, the 6th Army at Stalingrad was well equipped (with everything but winter clothing :rolleyes:), and the odds are that, at that point in the war, the would have still had the correct bread bags available.

Considering potential possibilites for person's headsize and the fact not everyone gets correct sized helmet relative to that, it's entirely possible for a soldier to have tad too small - or occasionally even too large - helmet.

You're of course right about that.

But still, this is a video game, and Tripwire has the luxury of shaping the soldier's heads and helmets however they please.
This of course also allows them to have misfitting helmets/heads, but as I said: considering the 6th Army's supply situation before Stalingrad, odds are that the soldiers would have had helmets that fit them.

And even regardless of the shape of the heads, it seems to me that the brim of the helmet appears a bit too short for the rest of the helmet in general - but that might just be perspective...

Upvote 0
As this topic opened my eyes there are quite a lot of people on the realismtrain. So i'm willing to help them with all the tough problems.
The next question of course must be what kind of bread will be in the breadbag. Authentic German Bauernbrot or the dark heavy Pumpernickel.

The Germans are very proud of their baking culture and to help the devteam with this delicate question here are some examples what kind of bread to put in the bag.

Roggenmischbrot - is rye mixed with wheat or other flour. This is the most common and cheapest type of bread. It has a light colour and texture and is sold in loaves of one (Einpfunder) or two (Zweipfunder) pounds. It does not keep for long once cut.

Weizenmischbrot is a light-coloured bread, with different proportions of wheat and rye from Roggenmisch.

Bauernbrot - is similar to Roggenmisch, somewhat lighter, tastier and slightly more expensive.

Wei

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As this topic opened my eyes there are quite a lot of people on the realismtrain. So i'm willing to help them with all the tough problems.
The next question of course must be what kind of bread will be in the breadbag. Authentic German Bauernbrot or the dark heavy Pumpernickel. [...]

Wunderbar...

And please, while you are on your "humourous" mood, why not to make a samekind of list about German cigarettes, schnaps und wurst. I think we can

Upvote 0

You forgot the german army issue chocolate that was intensionally made so it tastes awful so soldiers wouldn't eat their (personal) stocks immedietly.

Also, in early phases of Fall Blau we could have one beer per each soldier until the supplies gets really poor and drinking it could give you minor advatanges as being mildy tipsy can improve overall combat effectivness. :p

Pvt.Skoko said:
Yea compare the RL pics to the game the helms are a little too small. The brim looks too high, I'm sure tripwire has already fixed this:p

Or the soldiers in that original picture just have really small heads with size or two larger helmets, their skull is shaped diffrently or they have the liner really loose. Yes it's true that comparing RO:HoS screens to plethora of original photos they seem to be mildly smallish but it's just possible TWI patterned the basic head structure after some modern person compared to finding some more medical detailed stuff about the average person in the 1920s to 1950s.

As I said earlier I would need three sizes smaller helmet to have the 'visor' right while I would need atleast size or two larger helmet to have the rest right. Obviously it varies from person to person but quite frankly, if you look at the screenshot and compare how much the ears are 'hidden' and compare that to original screenshot they're quite similiar. Obviously the angle of the screenshot makes it look bit odd as it's not real "profile" screenshot.

Talking about uniform oddities the sleeves are not scaled correctly in terms of lenght relative to their hand and arm positions while holding a gun. You can compare it quite easily with http://www.lostbattalions.com/german33-45/ww2blusefit/fit33-45.html <--- this or if you've seen an original being worn for test purposes it becomes glaringly obvious. I wonder why no-one picked up that earlier :p

Upvote 0
FYI Lost Battalions is not a good source for the German uniform fit.

Maybe, but unfortunately I do know few persons who actually owns some original uniforms and some are thin enough to wear them and the basic information matches quite well, so it's pretty difficult to ignore everything written there unless all few uniforms mentioned are some odd exceptions.

Upvote 0