• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Humble Indie Bundle - Pay What You Want

PNV

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2006
The Peninsula
So this has been going around some gaming networks, and considering the appreciation for indie developers and distaste for draconian publishers around here, I thought I would post this.

Wolfire Games, the developer of Lugaru, are sponsoring this event in which you get five DRM-free indie titles (World of Goo, Aquaria, Gish, Penumbra Overture, and Lugaru) for a price which you determine. You can then decide whether your purchase goes to the developers, the Child's Play and EFF charities, or split it.

They've raised $333,430 so far.

The link:
http://www.wolfire.com/humble

Aquaria is definitely worth getting! Bought it a while ago for 20 bucks, I think, and it was well worth it.

Calling it a Metroid clone doesn't do it justice because it sports its own unique take on something of a cross between platformer- and top-down-shooter-gameplay with its very own atmosphere. But it's a Metroid-like in that it's basically an open world with parts that are locked off and can only be accessed once you acquire certain abilities.
The game has a demo so if you can't make heads or tails of my description above just give it a shot yourself.
It's really good.

Upvote 0
It's an interesting thing though because as Asobit also said, most people wouldnt buy these games if it wasnt for this action.
That makes me wonder which would be the most profitable right now, either lots of 1$ sales or a few thousand 7$ sales, or whatever other pricetags were concerned.

well, the average is now 8$, so there are people who pay 1$ and people who pay 20$

in the end is as if all of the 61.100 people have paid 8$, most of them probably wouldn't have bought the games at all. So I suppose they made half a million dollars out of thin air with this offer. Also those games have been there for some years so each one would've had its profit in its time.

Upvote 0
Haven't tried Aquaria or Lugaru yet, but the only game I've really liked so far is Penumbra. Gish and World of Goo are fun for a little bit, but I don't find them to be games I can play for than 30 minutes at a time.

Aquaria is mildly amusing. It's a casual game that takes itself way too seriously. Voiceovers are done in this British woman's voice that is always full of foreboding and whatnot. It's sort of ... it's like a side-scrolling adventure game, but you're swimming instead of running and jumping.

I really enjoy world of goo, but I don't ever play for very long at a time. Haven 't done much with Penumbra yet, and haven't installed any of the other three.

Upvote 0