• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Melee weapons breaking system?

I'd hate to have to deal with that as a berserker, the fact that your primary weapon doesn't rely on ammo is one of the best things about the perk in the first place. On the other hand, it would be much more realistic if the weapons could break (I imagine the katana and chainsaw would be the most fragile). If they were to add melee weapon wear, I'd at least like to be able to avoid it with proper use. For example, you would lose no durability if you only go for head slices with the katana, but slashing a FP in the chest would break it quickly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
- Not very realistic, melee weapons made of steel do not deter noticeably from contact with flesh or bone. If players were able to block fleshpound's / scrake's / gorefast's attack with their weapon, that would have some sense.

- Further nerfing the poor ol' berserker is just nuts. Bringing chainsaw to its former glory and making it consume fuel would have more sense.

Upvote 0
- Not very realistic, melee weapons made of steel do not deter noticeably from contact with flesh or bone. If players were able to block fleshpound's / scrake's / gorefast's attack with their weapon, that would have some sense.

- Further nerfing the poor ol' berserker is just nuts. Bringing chainsaw to its former glory and making it consume fuel would have more sense.

GENIUS! I VOTE FOR VEALCK's IDEA!

Upvote 0
unfortunately, i think this will inevitably lead to the buying and dropping of multiple melee weapons.

i understand your goal is to encourage the use of melee weapons other than the katana, but i think this just ends up hurting the zerker.

since the katana was introduced, there really isn't a reason (that i know of) to use any other melee weapon. it has good damage, fast rate of attack, fast running speed, light weight, and a relatively low cost. other melee weapons can't really compete.

i play zerk alot and mostly use the axe, not because it is better, but because i just prefer it. most other classes have some choices for their top-tier weapon, but with the chainsaw the way it is, if u want to survive on harded difficulties, you use the katana.

sorry, i'm going off topic. this is a nice idea, but in the end i think it does more harm than good for the zerk.

Upvote 0
If your goal is really to encourage the use of a varied melee arsenal, giving those other weapons a purpose in their own right is the way to go.

The chainsaw has a purpose. To be a replacement for katana in times of server lag or when there's like a bazillion specs in front of you. I don't know whether or not katana lag attacks count.

Machete serves to be sold.

Fire axe serves as a replacement for killing fp's if no other melee weapon is around.

Upvote 0
The chainsaw has a purpose. To be a replacement for katana in times of server lag or when there's like a bazillion specs in front of you. I don't know whether or not katana lag attacks count.

Machete serves to be sold.

Fire axe serves as a replacement for killing fp's if no other melee weapon is around.

The alt fire of a chainsaw is more powerful then that of a katans.... if not faster.... is it not?

Upvote 0
The alt fire of a chainsaw is more powerful then that of a katans.... if not faster.... is it not?

Alt fire speed of a chainsaw is indeed faster than katana alt fire. However, katana regular attack more than makes up for that. That, and with chainsaw, you lose your entire zerker speed bonus for melee weapons. They are both of the same strength, if you aim for the body. However, the katana has a more direct "head aiming" alt fire, as opposed to chainsaw.

Upvote 0
Alt fire speed of a chainsaw is indeed faster than katana alt fire. However, katana regular attack more than makes up for that. That, and with chainsaw, you lose your entire zerker speed bonus for melee weapons. They are both of the same strength, if you aim for the body. However, the katana has a more direct "head aiming" alt fire, as opposed to chainsaw.

Then TWI failed around 7 months ago.

Upvote 0
Instead of durability, how about you have to repair the weapon or else it does lower damage. Perhaps an icon of the weapon in the corner where ammo goes and as you do damage it goes from blue to green to yellow to orange to red and if it hits black it breaks. That would require the berserker to recharge his weapon at the trader much like you do with the kevlar vests :D

Upvote 0