• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Broken Glass and Ice parts should kill

The_Emperor

Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2009
Milkyway
Hey,

yesterday I was playing a some MW2 and I was playing the map Terminal. Here the ceiling has large windows. The glass will come down when being shot at, interestingly it's just for nice effect. I believe RO would make a step forward if it wasn't just for good looking and had an actual impact on gameplay. Like you're firing at a window and the glass particles falling down injure or even kill the enemy soldier(s) beneath the window.

The very same should work with icicles. You shoot at them and as they fall down can eventually stab a person below.

Think about this for a minute. You're playing HoS. You and your comrades are huddled up behind collapsed columns, flipped tables, and piles of plaster. The crack of near misses and thundering of explosions resonate in giant atrium in which you're fiercely fighting to defend. Then suddenly, a sharp pain, and your vision fades and you topple over. You glance to the top-right corner of your screen.

The Emperor - GLASS - 5m

You are killed. By GLASS.

No.

Upvote 0
Given it's already been stated that HOS will have a wounding system (similar to Ostfronts, but apparently a bit more advanced?), it'd be sorta neat if there are a few places where something can poke you and wound you.

kill? no.

If a glass ceiling was intact enough during stalingrad that it could fall on you, you're helmet woudl take care of most of it.
But maybe if it supported it, something like cutting your hand climbing into a window. (that would require a pseudo-mantling system though.. and some way to NOT just clear the glass from the frame first..)

Upvote 0
Mehhhhh...the idea sounds super-realistic, but I wonder if that might be too realistic, I don't know if I would like getting killed by a falling icicle, seems like it might annoy most players.

the glass thing sounds a bit more feasible, maybe not have glass that could fall and kill you, but if an explosion shatters a window you are next to, maybe have the glass cut up your face a bit and bloody your vision for a few seconds

Upvote 0
Shards of glass really, really rarely kill people. Thousands of windows are broken every day, and how often do you hear of someone getting killed by a falling shard of glass?

They won't penetrate the skull and getting killed by a stab in the shoulder seems unlikely.

So I'll have to say no about this suggestion.

Upvote 0
Have you ever heard of that a small ****ty little fir cone when it falls down from the top of the top and it hits your head it will leave you unconcious. So if the shard is large enough I'd say it will do a good amount of damage to you. It will not penetrate the helmet maybe but it will surely get into your head if the height it's falling down from is big enough.
And as you might remember you're not always in standing stance with the helmet covering most of your body, if you're prone what will happen then? Your fieldblouse is no Superman suit, the shards will penetrate it easily. And also windows blasting next to you are a serious threat for your life.

As you might know in WWI shrapnel was used. It's glass shards released in a good height above the enemy's trenches to bring a lethal rain of glass to them.
I'd say with your hands, legs and body full of glass shards pierced into your skin you won't be fighting on, so the game could render you dead. If you're lucky you could also be "just" seriously wounded.

Upvote 0
As you might know in WWI shrapnel was used.
It's glass shards released in a good height above the enemy's trenches to bring a lethal rain of glass to them.

yea, but its a difference if the shrapnel is dropped from 1 km altitude or just from 5 m...

I dont think glass falling down from 5 m or less could kill you - you will get a few scars, but nothing a real man can

Upvote 0
Have you ever heard of that a small ****ty little fir cone when it falls down from the top of the top and it hits your head it will leave you unconcious. So if the shard is large enough I'd say it will do a good amount of damage to you. It will not penetrate the helmet maybe but it will surely get into your head if the height it's falling down from is big enough.
And as you might remember you're not always in standing stance with the helmet covering most of your body, if you're prone what will happen then? Your fieldblouse is no Superman suit, the shards will penetrate it easily. And also windows blasting next to you are a serious threat for your life.

As you might know in WWI shrapnel was used. It's glass shards released in a good height above the enemy's trenches to bring a lethal rain of glass to them.
I'd say with your hands, legs and body full of glass shards pierced into your skin you won't be fighting on, so the game could render you dead. If you're lucky you could also be "just" seriously wounded.

If a piece of glass pierces your skin, it's usually due to YOU hitting the piece of glass that is attached to something, not the other way around. Piece of glass flying through the air can only do serious damage if it hits you in the eye, otherwise it will just scratch the skin. They're not flying glass daggers, explosion might set glass flying, but they won't fly straight the sharp point first.

In the ww1 shrapnel example, it's bits of iron that do damage, not the pieces of glass.

Upvote 0
Before germans starting to attack city itself, lot of air bomb raids throw tons of bombs on city, how much windows or other glass structures could survive shock weave of mass bombardment?

I am not against it, but try to find intact glass tables after bombing.

Yeah I agree with that.....how many windows, glass ceilings and chandeliers are gonna be left after constant day and night bombing raids. Plus it just seems very unnecessary and unrealistic. Time could be spent into cooler ideas.

Upvote 0