• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Invisible Trees Of Doom

HaTeMe

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2009
Behind You!
Alright, I have like 300 invisible trees in my map and I cant right-click on them for some reason, so would anyone happen to have an idea how to remove ALL of them without having to do it one by one...

Basically, the way I have to do it right now is by going to actor search and selecting static meshes from the list one after another to see wether its one of those invisible trees or not, then delete it if it is. But since there is hundreds of them, Id prefer something quicker. Since I cant right-click on the trees (they appear as red crosses/dots) I cant select matching groups or anything.

Ideas.. :3?

Depends on why they are invisible.

Are they set to Advanced -> bHiddenEd=True?
Select All StaticMeshes and set bHiddenEd to False for all of them.

Are they in a group and the group is hidden?
Open the group browser, click View -> refresh to make sure every group is listen and then check the box for theirs.

Do they lack a model?
Select All StaticMeshes and give them a Display -> Texture (not skin!). This makes the currently selected texture act like an icon for the actors, like the little lightbulbs do for lights, for example. Use this to Select Matching StaticMeshes for your invisible trees, get rid of them and then select All StaticMeshes and delete the texture again.

Maybe it also works to select one of them through the Search and instead of right-clicking on it you press the "right-click button" on your keyboard next to the right "Windows" key. This should open the context menu of whatever is selected as if you right-clicked on it. I don't know if it works in UnrealEd as I have never tried it but it's worth a shot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are they set to Advanced -> bHiddenEd=True?
Select All StaticMeshes and set bHiddenEd to False for all of them.

Nope, bHiddenEd=False

EDIT: Oh but, bHiddenEdGroup=True, changed it to false and there we go, the tree is visible again :O

Thanks, I was able to select all the trees and delete them. However, selecting matching static meshes didnt work, I had to select all static meshes in a matching zone o_O

Upvote 0
bHiddenEdGroup means their group is hidden. If you assign them to a group or type in a group name this group is hidden by default. My second paragraph excluding the first line would have fixed this.:)

Strange that Select Matching StaticMeshes didn't work though. If it works it's all fine and well, but it would still be interesting to know what went wrong there.

Upvote 0
I have another problem too, the also seems to have invisible walls of some short which arent visible in the editor but block players in game... and no, they are not blocking volumes or anything, there simply isnt anything in the editor where these walls should be.

EDIT: Nevermind I found them, they were also hidden but I found them in the group browser.

Thanks for all your help anyway, was very useful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0